Another Prime road trip in progress

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-Current)' started by jb in NE, May 5, 2019.

1. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unexpected things are very rare for me. I never drive at distance 1, 3 usually unless there's traffic.

2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think I gave it a fair trial over 3500 miles in all sorts of conditions. I tried all three distance settings. It may be that this feature isn't for me.

3. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Our expectations aren't the same it looks like, I don't expect it to drive better than I do, it's just an aide that happens to reduce my stress. There's no way I could think of that it could drive better given the sensor suite it has.

4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I find that it increases stress for me. When will the car do another unexpected thing I don't want it to do? I prefer smoothness and this doesn't provide that.

5. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's entirely possible, there's other things about the prime that I don't like and never use. :)

For instance, Entune, big minus, blind spot monitoring I like, but the indicators are too small and there's no tone. Parking isn't something I need, I do that myself. :) And I absolutely hate the hatch, it's too high for me when open.

6. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a get used to thing, it doesn't do unexpected things if you've used it for years. :)

7. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Entune is worthless, and i don't use it. Didn't buy the model with Blind Spot Monitoring or park assist. My brother has Blind Spot Monitoring on his Clarity and it was the first thing he disabled. I like the hatch a lot, tons of access to the stuff in back.

Other features not quite ready for prime time: (1) auto high beam control. Hit or miss, unless you're out in the country where it's really dark. (2) Lane departure warning - I disabled that because it was beeping constantly on twisty mountain roads. I used the lane departure assist steering feature for about 1 day and that's been disabled ever since. 3) Back up camera - it doesn't steer in the direction the car is turning, unlike most other contemporary model year cars. It also doesn't have a variable view (wide, regular and narrow). Subaru's is particularly nice.

8. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Agree about the auto high beam and lane departure warning. LKA on my 2010 Prius was better and I just don't like auto high beams at all. (but I like auto wipers) . I leave lane departure warning on, but my daily commute doesn't set it off too much. I don't know why our back up camera is so basic, like you say almost every other car has a more advanced version, but at least I don't have to back up too much. :)