1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

any 1st gen (especially 2001 owners) with original hv battery?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Aaron Vitolins, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No real reson for question, just wondering. If you think about it the 2001 Prius has been on the roads in the USA and UK for a good 15 years now. They are such cute little cars, and here in TN I still seem them running around every now and then.

2. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2002 with over 171,000 miles and have replaced two modules on the original battery recently.
    TomK

j12piprius and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2001 with 223,000 miles here, bought in 2008 with 125,000. The special service campaign 40G for terminal sealing had been done back in the day according to Toyota's records. Otherwise, no other attention to the battery yet.

I am starting to think about opening it up just for a look at the voltage sense harness as a precaution though.

I did just recently have to replace the driver's door upper hinge, which was worn enough that the door could move a bit, which led to surprisingly horrible creaking/groaning noises from the body when driving over sloped curves and such. At first I thought the noises had to mean much bigger body problems, and was pleasantly surprised they all went away with a $36 hinge.

Now I see my driver door weatherstrip rubber (the piece on the car body) is also worn through in one spot, so I should attend to that. I halfway suspect it got extra wear because the loose hinge was letting the door grind around on it.

-Chap

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  4. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow great to hear from both of you! I've read about that service campaign before. Glad it's been done on your 2001. I wonder if you owned a 2001 that hadn't had 40g done to it if toyota would still do the work. I would actually like to own a first gen some day

5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

I still have a 2001, but the battery was replaced close to the 8 year point. What was interesting was how clearly the dealer said it was a warranty issue since the very first batteries with the inadequate terminal sealing (which affected most of the 2001s) were going to be replaced by Toyota at the first signs of any questionable behavior (like issuing any battery related codes).

6. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So the battery was replaced for free?

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    • First Prius, 2003
    • Bought Oct 2005, 49,000 miles
    • Has 166,000 miles
    • Upgraded traction battery 2009
    • My daily commute
    • Quieter than 2010
    • First mod, 1kW inverter used at least once per-year
    • Still gets 52 MPG
    It remains a nice ride. It takes a special kind of owner but what a nice ride.

Bob Wilson

8. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Most definitely.

9. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You lucky dog! Haha

10. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And also, I'm presuming all of you have original transaxles

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Probably the best example of Gen 1 lucky-dog-ness was that Toyota decided they weren't happy with how the original electric power steering rack worked out, so they sent around a retroactive warranty extension on it through December 2013! I ended up with a shiny new steering rack put in at 194,000 miles, eight years past the end of the original warranty. (y)

-Chap

m.wynn and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  12. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes, but the replacing of the transaxle fluids was done by me on my own nickel. That might be why I have no transaxle issues. I've done that twice and the second time was probably not necessary. The first time was absolutely worth it given the particulate and discoloration encountered.

13. kandescent

kandescent New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2002 Blue Moon Pearl. 216,000 miles, original traction battery, original transaxle, original brakes. I've had her since 30 miles.

After I stopped driving her 2,000 miles/month several months ago, she started throwing P3009, but has since stopped after I left it for a bit at the dealer who couldn't get the code to throw. The tech must have cleaned some of the battery connections though because my mileage has gone back up to high 40s- low 50s. They didn't charge me anything, but something changed. I do suspect she may be in need of a traction battery soon though.

I have loved that car over the years but my current minimal driving habits don't suit her anymore. So, will attempt to rehome her...

I feel very fortunate that the car has performed so well.

14. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah! Love the blue moon pearl one! sounds like it's been a good car for you. Wish you lived closer to me, might have been a good car for my sister

kandescent likes this.
  15. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thumbs up to a good Prius owner! Good work my friend

16. Woody3

Woody3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My 2002 Prius just turned 245,000 miles I replaced 3 of the main battery cells about 18,000 miles ago, and I noticed that 8 others had been replaced, but all the rest were and are original. When the oil is low by 3/4 of a quart, the Exclamation lights go on with no error codes. When topped off, the warning lights go away.

17. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 03 has 148k on the clock. I don't know if it's the original battery, but the previous owner had it out and cleaned all the terminals and buss bars and it works adequately. All city driving and I get about 38 mpg. Car works well & looks like new, but I suspect there's a front suspension overhaul in my future.

I'm saving for a new HV battery from Toyota, figger it's only a matter of time.

18. TrueIrocZ

TrueIrocZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 03' with 216xxx miles and climbing. All original. :) It's a trooper. Except for the warning triangle comes on at 2 bars of fuel and the engine doesn't start like it's out of gas. Once it's filled, she's back to normal. When it's nice out, it pulls 45 mpg. With the snow and cold in my area, its around 38 mpg average and 35 mpg when it's under 10 degrees.

19. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Amazing! Both of you above! Keep on trucking.

20. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry posted to the wrong thread