1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any experience w/ speaker upgrades?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SoleInvictus, Jul 2, 2018.

1. SoleInvictus

SoleInvictus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey everyone! I just got a 2016 Prius four and mostly love it. I have one issue and only because I'm spoiled - I came from a VW Jetta with a primo, self-installed stereo system. My Prius has the JBL sound system but I still find the sound to be pretty flat. Bass is lackluster and treble isn't terribly sharp. I drove my old car yesterday and immediately started pining for a better sound system.

I'm not sure if the limiting factor is poor quality audio output on the head unit, bottom of the barrel JBL speakers, or a combination of both. I'm loath to replace the head unit since I actually like its navigation function, and it even integrates into the HUD; however, I like a good sound system since I use it way more than I do navigation, and an android auto supporting head unit will rectify the navigation issue, although it won't integrate into the HUD. Oh well!

Has anyone tried upgrading just the speakers?

Also, on a semi-related note, does this thing have an "under-seat subwoofer"? I looked under the passenger seat and saw some sort of wiring harness but can't find anything speaker-like.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone else put in upgraded jbl's in the front doors from crutchfield, and claimed fabulous results.

3. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    based off the questions you are asking i'd recommend you take this to an audio shop and let them handle the install, save yourself the headache of learning about all this.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    No; there is no subwoofer; see my previous posting about the speakers.
    The wiring under the front passenger seat is for the supplemental restraint, seat belt warning, and seat heater systems, not for audio. The stereo component amplifier assembly is under the driver seat; see my previous posting about the amplifier.

5. Bash4

Bash4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, I just purchased a 2017 prius four with JBL stereo as well. The JBL is probably the worst I've heard. No bass or low end, all highs. So this is what I did. I had two Kicker 40TCWRT84 subs in my 2010 prius. I cut out the Styrofoam in the center of the trunk to accommodate each of these subs. Had to relocate Fixa flat slime and air compressor up into large rectangle area above. Left just enough gap above subs to accommodate car jack and relocated tow hitch to the right side of subs. It is wrapped in left over insulation I had from cutting. I use a battery tiger saw to cut everything. It took about 2.5 hours to cut and fit. I then purchased an Alpine MRV-M500 amp at Best Buy and had geek squad install under the passenger seat. All wires are hidden nicely. I originally only had one of these subs in the trunk at first. But was not enough bass for me and I ended up blowing the speaker. So I then added the second sub. Sound is incredible and I'm very happy. I also had to remove the metal handle in the plastic cover because of speaker clearance. It sits next to the air compressor up top. I also had to cut out the spare tire lock down so the sub sits flush with Styrofoam. It was easy. priussubs.jpg

tucatz likes this.
  6. JayLn

JayLn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    What amp did you installed? Is it plug and play?

7. SoleInvictus

SoleInvictus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Their post says they installed an Alpine MRV-M500. I'm not sure what you mean by "plug and play" but, as there are no outputs on the back of the head unit, one will have to tap into the speaker output for amplifier input.

8. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have Audiofrogs and they're amazing, but I also have an external amp pushing them.

SoleInvictus likes this.
  9. JayLn

JayLn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There is a pre installed amp under the driver seat of the 4 touring. There is an amp for prius that you can connect without modification, I just cant find this guy’s post. Lol

10. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a large section in the Upgrades thread that covers a stereo upgrade. It is so detailed and full of pictures you can't go wrong. Every type of stereo is offered and even where to get adapter cables. Its a HUGE section and may take you weeks to disect, but its loaded. I almost bought a system after reading about it.

SoleInvictus and tucatz like this.