1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any worry about Prime Catalytic Converter theft?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hans1, Nov 5, 2019.

1. hans1

hans1 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    XLE
    Reading a lot about older Prius catalytic converter thefts, but can't find anything about the Prius Prime facing similar issues.

Should Prime owners not worry, or same concerns? If concerns, what do you think of the Catlock or flat plates made to provide some extra security? TIA!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you are in CA, NY, or the UK, then yes, there is concern. (once failures start happening)
    The rest of the US can get cheap aftermarket Cats, so stealing one is not profitable.

3. hans1

hans1 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks! Thought that there might also be theft, just for the platinum in the cats.

bisco likes this.
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hang on, I thought the value relationship was between the larger-than-average dose of precious metals in the 2nd generation Prius converter and the current (and recent) very high price for palladium scrap?

5. hans1

hans1 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    XLE
    Okay, so the 2nd gen is more at risk? And my new Prime might be less of a risk? Good (for me, at least) to hear!