1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone own a code reader?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by exmetrodriver, Sep 3, 2014.

1. exmetrodriver

exmetrodriver Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Been looking for a low budget code reader. Anyone on here own one that they would recommend?

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Mini VCI cable is the BEST - it can do wonders (~$27 Amazon)
    You just need an old laptop running WinXP (32bit), Win 7 (32 bit), or be tech savy to run an emulator if you a running a 64 bit windows Operating System. Just buy the cheapest Mini VCI cable, even w/ an older version of Toyota Techstream. You can always download the latest version of Toyota Techstream somewhere. It is highly recommended that this laptop be used only for connecting to your Toyota b/c of possible malware from the cracked software; therefore, no banking, no email, no nothing that requires a log on ID and password. Many people here have been using this with no problems. Hit up you IT friends, they must have access to obsolete laptops w/ XP 32bit or buy one off craigslist on the cheap.

I just bled my brakes at all 4 wheels w/ mini VCI. This would be very difficult to do w/o.
    You can turn on your HV battery fan! There are 6 speed settings, and you will hear level 4, 5, and/or 6 when your HV battery is dying. Now I know what the HV battery fan sounds like, as I've never heard it before.
    You can see all the voltages of the 28 battery modules that comprise the big 201.6Volt HV battery.

BAFX OBD2 w/ Bluetooth - $24 Amazon
    I have this and it is solid. Bought this to diagnosis my first intermittent check engine light. Consistently connected to my Android phone, after the initial pairing every single time. This is why this one is more expensive than the others. Need to download the free Torque application, or pay for the full featured Torque app.

ELM 327, and all the other variations - $8 on up at Amazon
    IMO, sucks! Will it work yes. But you have to consistently re-pair it to your phone when car is shut-down, or you remove the device from the cars OBD port. I bought this out of curiosity b/c looks identical to the BAFX, just 67% cheaper. When I disassembled, the ELM, I saw BAFX's claim: smaller circuit board, and missing a few chips that BAFX has; one of which must be some type of genuine bluetooth pairing chip vs a hacked workaround that must be in the ELM. I'm sure an electrical engineer can give the precise terminology of what I naively describe, but experienced, and saw.

People here have given junk codes from their universal OBD2 code readers whether BAFX, ELM327, etc. Mini VCI speaks Toyota and understands your Toyota. Universal OBd2 readers are like Internet language translators: stuff gets lost in translation.

Good luck.

valde3, Fifine and SageBrush like this.
  3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ Excellent summary

A copy of XP can also be run off a Macintosh. I second the precaution to only use the XP/VCI for car interfacing.

teamjdb likes this.
  4. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I prefer this one;

It works with both XP 32 bit and 8.1 64 bit.

The $27 dollar one failed to connect.

6. exmetrodriver

exmetrodriver Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ended up get a Autel maxiscan ms300. It gets great reviews and it was under 20 bucks. I will let you all know if it works well.

7. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mike,

The image or link didn't attach/doesn't show.

Pls. re-post. Thx!

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Mini-VCI is definitely the best way to go if you have a laptop at your disposal.

For those without a laptop, the Android Torque app or the iPhone/iPad Engine Link app works well also. It takes configuration data to read the DTC codes but the spreadsheet with all of the needed parameters can be found on this site.

I use the Engine Link app with my iPad and an OBDII-WiFi adapter and it works well since I do not have a laptop available.

exmetrodriver likes this.
  9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  10. LiZaC

LiZaC New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So what exactly would I need to purchase in this set up?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can get the mini vci on amazon. compatible laptop of your choice. it's all a bit complicated, and can require some tech savvy.
    lots of threads here, but no clean cut instructions. pretty much hit or miss, since it's all bootleg

B088RJSR5Y

#11 bisco, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  12. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four