1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are You "Defensive" About Your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by ePWR, May 24, 2017.

1. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure what section of the forums to post this in, moderators can move it if they wish. Just curious about how many Prius owners are extremely passionate about their car, to the point of becoming defensive about it? Even angry if someone makes negative comments about your Prius?

I bought a Prius 16 months ago, just for the fact that I wanted a vehicle that got better gas mileage for long trips. But truthfully I'm not an environmentalist. Nor do I care if it's a hybrid vehicle or not. And I'm not trying to belong to any type of Prius "culture." I simply wanted a more compact, very reliable, low-maintenance, gas-saving vehicle. From all that I've read, the Prius has a long good history of just that. (And I do enjoy the technology more than I thought. It's definitely different). But the bottom line is, it's just a "car." I drive it normally, like any other car I have owned in the past. I don't get angry or upset if someone does not like the fact I drive a hybrid car. (Just don't tailgate me!) And I could really care less what other people choose to drive. Doesn't bother me if they are in a big hog four-wheel-drive monster.

I'm very pleased with it so far. The wife? Not so much. Once a soccer mom, always a soccer mom. She prefers the height and the roominess of her Honda SUV. And I actually like my old pickup truck very much, but you can't beat the gas mileage of the Prius on those very long drives. I noticed that some people in these forums get extremely defensive about their Prii. Is that just an Internet bravado thing? Or are they really like that in person, too. One thing I will say, is I have seen plenty of crazy Prius drivers out on the road. They are definitely not slow pokes or conservative in their driving. They tailgate and speed just like most other people.

#1 ePWR, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    RJS5586, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, you're normal. If you had bought a Mustang, BMW, Bentley or Buick, you'd be as defensive about your car.

I think part of the problem is that we expect people to ask "why on earth did you choose that car/colour/shoes/house/suburb/study-course/job", because we've run into people who don't understand our reasons for doing so, and in the past have been vocal about it.

My last 2 cars were diesels - and each of my last 5 cars have incrementally reduced my fuel bill, and the PRIUS uses only 31% of the fuel the car I was driving 14 years ago (an old VOLVO 244).

But there is much more to why you select a car - you look at a myriad of factors, and then make the choice. You don't need to be defensive about it - but be prepared to defend the choice if need be.

Because I carefully consider what I buy when I buy a car (or anything really), I then look at some of the cars my friends or neighbours buy more on impulse, and think "hmmm, why?" - but I would never say so. Unless asked :whistle:.

3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Alan, I hereby appoint you as my Australian Guru.

ePWR and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wish I could say my " other car" is a classic Corvette Stingray. ;-)
    I had a guy in a new Tesla pull up next to me. Beautiful sleek car. Much bigger than I thought. Great platinum color. Totally silent when he sped off, and fast! Why can't Toyota make something like that? Only $100K, a drop in the bucket to all us big spenders.,

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This thread can go wherever it wants. I'm not even sure what I was trying to say in the first post. :) Too much late nite Bourbon.

Stealth Badger and bisco like this.
  6. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I like the Prius but I don't find I have to defend either my decision to have one or its existence, having recently changed from a 2005 to a 2017 model I am still getting positive comments about the new car. That said I am always happy to state why I think as cars go this one is very good, admittedly it is not cheap to buy.

ePWR and RCO like this.
  7. Snow

Snow Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You better take that back what you said about my prius!!!

Pugwinkle, Montgomery and ePWR like this.
  8. RJS5586

RJS5586 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had to actually scroll back up to the top of the thread and make sure this was not me that posted this :)
    Wife got the SUV, I got the Prius. I didn't buy it to be environmentally friendly or to make a statement, I bought it for the MPG. Other than that, it has 4 wheels, A/C, and gets me from point A to point B. We try to drive for vacations rather than fly, which is really what justified the Prius. My 60 MPG is far better than the 20 MPG we are getting in the SUV.

ePWR likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We need to be careful about bashing vehicles. I think that was part of getting a former user, Coast Cruiser banned. Danny has hidden the guidelines in a Fred's House sticky.

A quick note about bashing or flaming - blatant off topic bashing of any car type, manufacturer, etc will not be tolerated here on Priuschat outside of the Off Topic forum. This is the Off Topic area which means that you are free to discuss just about anything you want - so please keep any bashing, flaming, or soapbox rants to this OT forum. However, try to make it a discussion not just a bash session.

From Off Topic Guidelines | PriusChat

10. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's exactly what I was saying. Or trying to say, thank you.

It's fine to have passion about something, but not to the point where people are coming to blows over a simple thing like a car! I'm talking about the "Internet blows", not actually fighting in person, although that's probably happened too. Ridiculous. We are just driving a "car." That's all. :) Do some Prius owners actually try and make some kind of "statement" by driving a Prius?

And does anybody else notice how many very aggressive, (should I say crazy?) Prius drivers are out there? I guess they figure they are going to get 40+ miles per gallon, so that gives them the right to drive 90 miles an hour!

11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not just Prius drivers. Most drivers, apparently

See I wish I had read about the tailgating before~ | PriusChat

RCO and ePWR like this.
  12. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did not notice it so much at first. But I sure do now. Very strange. Unexplainable. Weird people who just hate being behind a Prius for some reason. Even if the Prius driver is keeping up with the flow of traffic and not impeding other cars.

I hope I see that "Prime Guy" again someday. The one who flipped me the bird. He may just end up with his recharging plug stuck up his A**! LOL

RCO and kithmo like this.
  13. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The first year I had to defend myself. Most people think the Prius is junk. I got tired of defending myself, listing the reasons why I purchased it, let alone all the neat features the Prius has. Wound up going into rehab to work on my "inner Prius". I'm better now..........one day at a time.

RCO and ePWR like this.
  14. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The "Prime Boys Club" all hate me. Maybe it's because I expressed an opinion that the car is overpriced. For only getting 20-30 miles of EV range? I think Toyota could have done a much better job with that vehicle, and given the buyers what they really want, about 200 miles of electric range. Why not utilize a larger and stronger ion battery, perhaps the full length under the backseat? But then guys would gripe that it's too much weight. Well hell, you can't have everything!

If I'm going to drive a car that I have to plug-in, give me a Tesla! Made in America! (You only live once. :))

#14 ePWR, May 24, 2017
  15. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hope I don't jinx myself when I write this. But am I the only 4th generation Prius owner that has no complaints about their car? Yes, it's only been 16 months, but this car has been near perfect. I have no issues whatsoever. Not even any little minor gripes. I can't believe how good this car has been so far. Been driving the heck out of it, pretty aggressively. No rattles, everything performs as expected. Navigation is good. XM radio is great. LED headlights are awesome. The brakes make the car stop on a dime! Has very good acceleration for a hybrid. The steering is precise. Handles well and the suspension is nice. Even the windshield wipers are excellent. :)

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Somewhat minor complaint about seat comfort on long trips. Other than that mine is good.
    One other complaint. I need to leave it for my wife to use one day a week. The 2008 Corolla is not quite Prius class.

RCO, Priifan and ePWR like this.
  17. Priifan

Priifan Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed! It is pretty darn close to a perfect car! The only thing that could make it better is the all electric version in the same body at the same price with a range of 300 miles!!! Then it could run in the HOV lanes in California! (And of course a spare of some sort.)

RCO and ePWR like this.
  18. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Excellent?

How could anyone possibly say that about wipers that don't revert to the home position automatically when you turn the ignition off!!!!!

If you cannot see fit to complain about that, then God know what else you are over looking.

Jeesh.

Priifan, RCO and ePWR like this.
  19. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never noticed - never happened here. I'll have to wait till it rains to check it out. They just work automatically when they think it needs wiping.

Priifan, RCO and ePWR like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure if this fits in, but we were the first ones at a barbecue the other day, went back out to get something, and:

IMG_6853.JPG
    (Expat Americans, complete with Obama/Biden bumper sticker. (y))

#20 Mendel Leisk, May 24, 2017
    pjm877, Priifan, RCO and 1 other person like this.