1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

At what point do you replace the 12v battery?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mikefocke, Jul 1, 2016.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    wstt, the ground choice is probably poor. Look in the owners manual for the engine ground or try the strut tower nut/bolt.

moto g(7) power ?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    +1. I usually find that the positive jump terminal, enclosed in the fuse box, has the metal in decent surface condition, but even unpainted metal exposed under the hood can have an oxide layer that's a surprisingly good insulator. I usually go for the bolts around the edges of the inverter cover, and if I've got a big enough clamp, put it over top and bottom. And scrape it back and forth some.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The stud/nut combo holding down the EGR valve is good too, very close.

4. wstt

wstt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I connected to the exact places the owners manual said to. I also tried several other ground spots. Autozone and O’Reilly’s also tried all over and got nothing. I’m wondering if there is a fuze to the positive terminal under the hood or something that could be bad.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    First guess: That picture in your owners manual is really for a different model.
    Second guess: One of your main battery connections is loose or corroded and it takes a SIGNIFICANT current demand for anything to flow.
    What happens if you try to do the measurement with the car in "ready" mode.....on and running ??

On mine, the "jump point" is also a power distribution point for the WHOLE engine bay.
    I don't think it is possible for that point to be dead and still have the car function.

NewHybridOwner likes this.
  6. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The 12V battery is supposed to be about minimum 12.5V after we fully charge and remove surface charge (1 minute headlights on). Below that, it's time to do around.

7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five