1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto A/C Has Stopped Working Automatically

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bresna, Aug 31, 2020.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Umm ... that's not supposed to be a reset. That's supposed to show you codes on the display that indicate what's going on with the HVAC.

2. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's so bizarre and since I use A/C almost all the time, I'd be very ticked off about it!

A nice stern letter to Toyota might rattle some cages...

3. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    After several more sweaty drives home and deciding that I just wanted out of this 2017 Prime, I ran the numbers and decided on a 2020 Avalon Hybrid. No more plugging in for now.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on your new car. May I ask what you got on your PP for trade-in?

5. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't blame you, I'd do the same though I'd probably go for a Subaru.

6. MTN

MTN Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Wow. Seems drastic. $40k purchase to offset an A/C issue. To each their own, I guess.
    A 2020 Prime would have gotten you a $4500 tax credit, combined with a high NE area Toyota cash/rebate, higher mpg, lower cost of ownership, etc.
    But that's just the opinion of a cheap bastard. I'm sure the Avalon will be much more comfy and quiet on the highway. Enjoy!

pghyndman and jerrymildred like this.
  7. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It was way more than the AC issue. The AC issue was the proverbial "last straw". I found the seats very uncomfortable, especially in the summer, when I would usually sweat through the back of my shirt, no matter how low I set the AC temp. They are also like slabs of rock with a thin cushion on it. The "armrests" have no padding and I sometimes had my elbow get numb when I rested on it too long. I should add that I have a 1 hour ride each way, so I spend a lot of time in these seats (traded in my 2017 with 93,000 miles on it). I also hated the fact that the sun visor wasn't big enough to cover the side window. They shouldn't even allow it to unclip and swing to the side as it does absolutely nothing for sun protection.

When I say, "I ran the numbers", I mean that I did a spreadsheet to calculate the energy costs for my 125 mile daily commute. I compared the V4 Camry, V6 Camry, Camry Hybrid, Avalon V6, Avalon V4 (AWD), Avalon Hybrid, Prius Prime & Tesla Model 3. I ran the numbers for both $2/gal & $3/gal. At $2/gal, the Avalon Hybrid was only ~$150 more per year (using 228 days) more to drive to work in the Avalon over the Prime. That's a whole $.66/day.

Regarding losing the plug in aspect, given the relatively high electricity costs here in Maine ($.163/kWH), it was not a great financial decision to plug in every night once gas got below ~$2.50/gal. I was doing it more for "going green". FWIW, I really wanted a Tesla Model 3 but the Avalon Hybrid was about the same cost in both summer & winter with the benefit of never having to worry when driving from Maine to Holyoke, MA to visit my mother.

The final domino that forced this to happen when this AC issue cropped up, was that Woburn Toyota was clearing out a 2020 Avalon Hybrid Limited with the Advanced Safety Package for $6,907 off sticker (~$38K). That was a thousand less than the Camry XLE Hybrid I was looking at. Once they offered me $12,500 in trade for my Prime (KBB listed the value ~$13, 500), I really couldn't say no to that.

MTN likes this.