1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Auto dimming mirror installation

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by col127, Aug 2, 2012.

1. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes those are connectors that could be used. Then just tape the ends of the connectors with e-tape.

Soldering is easy, and perhaps this could be a project to learn on. Pick up some flux core solder, and a cheap soldering iron (like $5-$10). Plug in the iron - it will get REALLY hot. Twist the wires together, touch the soldering iron to the wires you just twisted, then touch a piece of solder to the end of the iron and watch it melt into the wires holding them together permanantly. Let cool - cover with elec tape, and you are done.

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey col127,
    A couple of things, Do you have a multimeter or a 12V tester? If so, I would start by looking for a switched 12V source in the dome light area. Do you have map lights in the C? If so, do they come on regardless of whether the car is on? If so, that is an always hot source and you will need to locate a switched source. My default for the switched source would be the 12V power outlet. You will have to get behind it and locate the wire that is a +12V source with the IG On or ACC. This is best done by probing the wire with a 12V tester (looks like this)
    [​IMG]
    The point is sharp and will penetrate the wire's insulation. The clip end is just hooked up to any screw that penetrates metal (chassis ground). Once you locate the wire, use one of these connectors
    [​IMG]

to tap into the source and route your wire to the mirror through the back of the dash and up through the plastic molding around the passenger windshield to the headliner. Make sure you use similiar gage wire (probably AWG 18 or 20. Match the wire size to the wire your splicing). Then use the butt connectors like this

[​IMG]
    to connect the wire to the proper wire on the mirror. It is really important to crimp these together hard. Most people will buy a cheap crimper like this
    [​IMG]
    These are not ideal but you can make them work however, I would recommend one like this
    [​IMG]
    This one is ideal (and its made by Ideal) but is about $20 at Lowes. After that, connect your ground wire to a screw that screws into metal (you can probably find one near the map or dome light).
    As for the "reverse" feed wire, just fold it over about 2" and wrap w/ tape or, if you want to be really pro, remove it totally from the connector. This is usually done by inserting a very small screwdriver into the connector which releases it from the plastic.
    Hope I covered everything. Good luck and post anymore questions. Remember, its not a race. Do it right once instead of wrong twice.

3. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Bought my mirror the day before yesterday, installed yesterday. Works flawlessly. It took about 45 minutes to install. Tied-in the hot wire to the map lights- 3 pinned connector (blue wire is +12V, black - ground. they are two outer wires in the connector). The switched +12V connected to door mirrors controls (the red wire on the right hand side). Total cost of the project: $55. I really didn't look for "Toyota" mirror, to me they all the same and produced by Gentex in most cases. I've got GNTX-313 with homelink buttons.

usnavystgc likes this.
  4. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I will be installing mine this weekend...I will post how it goes...

-M

5. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Great. Shout if you need any help.

6. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Couple questions for you:
    #1 Tapping the map lights - how did you remove the map light covers and access the wiring?
    #2 How did you remove the OEM mirror? Is there a screw somewhere? I couldn't figure it out
    #3 Switched 12V (that's the one that's not always on) - my Gentex-177 mirror (compass and auto dim only) only has 3 wires - ground, black (12v) and a reverse lights one (doesn't need to be used) - so I assume I'd hook up the black wire to the red wire that you're referring to?
    #4 As for grounding the wire, is tying the ground wire from your mirror to the one in the 3-pinned connector sufficient for grounding? No need to attach the ground wire to a metal screw?
    #5 How did you attach the wires together? t-taps?
    #6 Did you disconnect the battery before starting?

Thanks for the help!! I really want to get my mirror installed but I'm clueless even with all the advice given so far (though it's been very helpful!)

7. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks so much for this - this is really helpful - visuals help so much... :) At least I know what tools I need now (LOL) - The second crimping tool you referred to - is that the same as a wire cutter or is it a specific tool? I think i have a wire cutter but it looks a little different from what you listed above.

8. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Couple questions for you:
    #1 Tapping the map lights - how did you remove the map light covers and access the wiring?
    You don't need a hot +12V anyway, based on the mirror you have, so I would't worry about map lights removal. See explanation in #3
    #2 How did you remove the OEM mirror? Is there a screw somewhere? I couldn't figure it out
    Yes there is a screw on the mirror mounting bracket. However you should have a torx head or a torx screwdriver (the one which looks like a hex star)
    #3 Switched 12V (that's the one that's not always on) - my Gentex-177 mirror (compass and auto dim only) only has 3 wires - ground, black (12v) and a reverse lights one (doesn't need to be used) - so I assume I'd hook up the black wire to the red wire that you're referring to?
    The reason why you have switched wire is because this is the power for your compass, and since you don't need your compass to be on all the time you need to connect it to a switched power source, which is available only when your car is on. If I were you I would connect your mirror's switched power to the door mirrors control. Tap in +12V to the red wire in that connector (the last on the right hand side) and your ground wire to the wire next to it (pin #7 white with black trace according to your pdf file which you uploaded earlier, fig 4.12)
    #4 As for grounding the wire, is tying the ground wire from your mirror to the one in the 3-pinned connector sufficient for grounding? No need to attach the ground wire to a metal screw?
    Since you are going to pull your switched power wire down to the door mirrors control anyway, I would connect both of the wires there instead of power at the bottom and ground at the map lights on top. I believe it will be sufficient for grounding
    #5 How did you attach the wires together? t-taps?
    I just pulled the pins out of the connector and released their clamps a little bit. Then I put my wire into it and tighted the clamps with a small pliers. If you don't want to go this way, t-taps will be fine too
    #6 Did you disconnect the battery before starting?
    No. But you need to be careful, since if you will short something, you will blow a fuse which you need to replace after that.

usnavystgc likes this.
  9. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is a specific tool. This has a wire cutter on it but its primary purpose is to crimp. That's why its called a crimping tool. Many wire cutters have crimpers on them but they are not primarily designed to crimp and the connections usually fail with time. I say do it once and do it right.

10. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You were smart, you got the homelink. Its a nice option to have. $55 for DIY or $300+ as an option. You make the call???? Good job. Enjoy!!

11. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. Yeah, homelink is a cool feature. I was playing with it last night while programming. There are bunch of autodim/homelink mirrors of ebay. And as I mentioned during the search I didn't put Toyota in a search line, since none of the car manufactures make their own mirrors. So I guess mine was "originally" made for Nissan or something like that. And I was lucky enough that the guy selling it was a couple miles away from my office.
    I was really surprised when OP mentioned $100 including installation cost from the dealer. I've checked my dealer, and they want $600+ just for the mirror itself. I am not willing to pay so much money for a such little work. It is just a rip off.

usnavystgc likes this.
  12. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep, I agree. DIY is the way to go on this one.

Toyota and Nissan use the exact same mirrors (and many others).

Mik1 likes this.
  13. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    usnavystgc likes this.
  14. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    i seriously can't figure out how to remove the mirror. i know there's a torx screw somewhere but i can't locate it! ahh. i tried using some force to move the mirror up - nothing happened. tried 'wiggling' the base of the mirror (the part attached to the windshield), nothing happened.

is there like a mirror cover? how do you remove that? i don't know what i'm doing wrong but this is stumping me. i took some pics of the side of the mirror and the back. i couldn't see the torx screw anywhere. please help! thx so much!

Attached Files:

15. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is no release screw...just push firmly from the bottom of the square mount...straight up and it will release. It takes a bit of pressure.

-M[​IMG]

16. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hmmm... So you dont have to remove a cover or anything? Just apply pressure and off it comes? :). Thanks!

17. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wow guys, you have a different mount connection on your mirror. Mine looks like this. That's strange.

Attached Files:

18. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Col,
    pull the plastic cover toward the mirror and check to see if there is a set screw as on Mik1's mirror. If so, unscrew it, if not, push straight up on the mirror and slide it off.

19. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    JGI likes this.
  20. daboy

daboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Here's my gentex 177 with temperature and compass display.
    AaaGentex.jpg

LnG, usnavystgc and managerman like this.