1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BACK UP CAMERA FOR 2012 PRIUS two TOUCH SCREEN- NON NAV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by man2ing, Jul 4, 2012.

1. priusbee

priusbee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi DumLong,

I have problem removing the middle of the hatch panel? How did you remove the panels below the hatch windows?

Thanks!

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/back-up-camera-for-2012-prius-two-touch-screen-non-nav.111717/page-7#ixzz2GqQLB7hM

2. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's 2 sanded grooves on the left and right side (get some plastic pry tools)/ Snapon has a nice one which I used..or Harbor Freight has some cheapies where you can put in and pry on the sides then on the bottom.

3. priusbee

priusbee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I will give that a try.

4. priusbee

priusbee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi wildiin,

I don't have a tone tester, do you mine sharing information on where the wire runs at. If you have a picture showing the location, that would be great too.

Thanks!

5. wildiin

wildiin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No Pic. sorry. That is were the wires run to the headliner connection.
    Just run the extra wire to the drivers kick panel. Easiest place to connect the camera.

6. Levelheadsteve

Levelheadsteve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am the only one who thinks this sounds like an incredible pain in the neck to install? I am admittedly not very mechanical. I'll have to see if any local shops will install it.

7. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Levelheadsteve,
    It is mostly running wires and attaching the camera (which is designed to fit in the slot provided). It could be worse if you had to set some value in the body computer to say the camera is there. Not sure why Toyota is putting a 6V camera
    in a 12V car. A 12V camera would be nicer, but at least a 12V power source is near by to tap into.
    As for getting a shop to do it, that can be tricky. Some shops want to buy a "kit" that has all the parts and complete instructions. A shop that does custom work may be more accommodating.

8. PriusTime

PriusTime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
  9. SLGeniii

SLGeniii New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Newbie here....Also been looking for Back Up camera...and don't want another screen in front of me for that...
    I came across this web site, and looks promising...
    Toyota Camry Factory Rear View Camera - OEM Backup Cam.
    They claim it works on GenIII Prius...Anyone have more information on this?

10. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For that price it should be packed together with IPA ECU :)

11. priusbee

priusbee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $349 for a backup camera? Nah!

The OEM from Toyota is 6V, not 3.3V.

The previous posts that described the installation for the backup camera will work.
    There are several ways to do it, but the easiest way is use the following components:
    * 12 volt CCD camera that will fit perfectly in the camera cut out in the gen 3 hatch back.
    * 6 volt solenoid

It does require some knowledgable with electronics and soldering iron etc.
    Knowledgeable on taking the trims off for the installation.

I have been pretty busy, but once I have time, I will put it into a Gen 3 Prius.

12. ray6088

ray6088 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are correct! But it only works 2012 model. I'm not sure about 2013

13. PriusTime

PriusTime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think you understood my post. The camera I linked to (which is $20, not $349) has an integrated regulator that converts the car's 12V to a usable 3.3V for the camera. If you connected this to the stock 6V camera wiring, it would also regulate that down to 3.3V that the camera needs. This means the wiring is the same as OEM with no additional components necessary.

14. priusbee

priusbee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, got the correct link - that link is for a 12 volt and it is for $20.4o.
    I did not see anything regarding an integrated regulator in the description?
    Did you opened up the camera to see the FS1117 regulator in the camera?

I looked up the spec sheet for FS117, according to the spec, you should be able to use the 6 or 12 volt to supply the camera power (link: http://www.ic-fortune.com/upload/Download/FS1117-DS-13_EN.pdf).
    If that is the case, no 6-volt solenoid is needed.

If that works, then why then the description on the $12.40 camera say nothing about it?

That is my theory, we just need some prove that it will work.

15. PriusTime

PriusTime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Correct, I took apart the wiring and discovered the voltage regulator. It's located in the oval shaped "chunk" where the wiring splits into two separate connections for the power and video signals. The eBay listing just says this is a 12V camera, which is what most consumers care about because 99% of them will be connecting it to a vehicle's 12V system. If they said this is actually a 3.3V camera with a 12V regulator it would only add confusion and probably raise a bunch of unnecessary questions. To my surprise though, I discovered it's actually a 3.3V camera with the built-in regulator :)

16. priusbee

priusbee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The next step would be to connect to the 6v supplied by the Camera video +v line, to see if that will work 100% of the time.

17. priusbee

priusbee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If that works, then the relay will not be needed.

18. PriusTime

PriusTime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And I will update when I do this. Unfortunately I destroyed the voltage regulator when I cut it out of the piece it's molded inside of. I have a new one coming, and will test it with 6V. I'd be extremely surprised if it didn't work with a 6V input.

19. Dan4500

Dan4500 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2012 level 2. Just installed a camera that was a perfect fit. Bot from Ebay: seller is "carvideoauto" for $35.00. Took out the original plastic insert and snapped in the camera. Unfortunately it is a 12 volt so I will need to do the conversion circuit. Bot before the postings of the 3.3 volt camera with regulator. Is this one an exact fit? If so I would buy it and redo the install. I will need to do more study of this low voltage camera.

Learned that replacing the plastic trim piece under the rubber strip is easier if you put masking tape under the rubber strip before replacing the trim piece; stick the tape to the underside of the rubber. Re-install the trim piece and pull the rubber over the outer ends with the masking tape. Carefully pull the tape off from each end towards the center and it pulls the rubber over the top of the trim piece. This will keep rain from running inside the trim piece and restore the original assembly.

If the trim piece is installed over the rubber strip, rain and dirt can fall inside it and into the trunk lid holes, plus discolor the inside of the trim piece.

20. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The similar technique, which I learnt when windshield was not glued to the car's frame, but inserted to rubber seal. The plastic tennis string in the action:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]