1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

basic head unit to navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by shadow4478, Aug 25, 2017.

1. shadow4478

shadow4478 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone done this successfully? I have done it on previous cars with success.

Is there a write up ?
    May do this down the road if it can be accomplished for about $400-700

Any infor would be good to have for future project.

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If anyone knows, @Elektroingenieur will probably be the man. Good luck!

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If you’re thinking about a Navigation Receiver Assembly, Toyota’s term for the factory-installed head unit with navigation capability, I’m not aware of anyone who has made the swap. I did cover some details in another thread, where someone wanted to add SiriusXM reception, another feature exclusive to that version. I think it could be done, but the cost of the head unit alone, even as a salvage part, is likely to be much greater than the $400–$700 budget you mentioned. A new head unit costs on the order of $4,000 (U.S.), which doesn’t include the cost of the antennas and wiring harnesses that would also be needed.

There are threads in the Audio and Electronics forum about installing third-party head units with navigation capability. If you’re happy with the sound system, though, you might find it easier to install a separate navigation device elsewhere on the dashboard, taking care to mount it securely and out of the airbag deployment zones. You’ll definitely pay less for database updates.

RCO likes this.
  4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many thanks. (y)

5. shadow4478

shadow4478 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you
    I dont want to be the first
    :)

6. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I use my phone for nav more then the one in my car, seems like a waste of money these days to pay for the option

RCO likes this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many have agreed with that idea before. I know I decline too have the option fitted, (just the software turned on) as it was twice the price of a top end stick on satnav.

8. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have factory nav in my 08 and don't remember the last time I used it..the phone has the most up to date maps and live traffic delays anyway

RCO likes this.
  9. shadow4478

shadow4478 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree the money is better spent on remaining principal, however you may run into a unit one day dirt cheap and decide to do it. I have done it in a chrisler befor it was straight plug and play.
    It would be good if someone had it tested

RCO likes this.
  10. wenglish

wenglish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm wrestling with "navigation or not" as we start to look for a new car. Our current car ('09 Corolla) has AM/FM/CD, so we navigate using phones, and that works very well provided I have the mount and charge cable set up so I can see the phone without taking my eyes off the road.

After a couple of rentals where they had either left navigation enabled or the moving map worked but did not allow navigation (which I refuse to pay for in a rental), I am convinced that a large screen (firmly attached so it won't get embedded in my forehead if the airbags go off) would be a wonderful thing.

Unfortunately Toyota's offering is (from what I have read) expensive to buy, costs some amount for updates, and those updates aren't very frequent.

What I really want (I think) is Android Auto, but Toyota doesn't support it and I would still have to plug my phone in (but at least it can be tucked away somewhere).

Sigh.

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many people (including my son with a 2015 Prius v) consider Toyota's navigation useless or worse than useless.
    He only got navigation because it came with the other features he really wanted.

RCO likes this.
  12. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I drive a lot and find Toyota's nav system to be a Godsend.

Why?

Size matters.

Would I like Waze better if I could get it full screen -- sure. But I cannot.

Navigating busy roads around NYC and NJ (which make Boston seem like the countryside) would be a nightmare on my phone.

Sooner Al likes this.
  13. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yep...

The Nav on our Prius v gets us where we want to when we want it to. It has not steered us wrong yet. Like all GPS systems you have to take the routing with a grain of salt so to speak.

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps they improved it from my son's 2015 Prius v 5.
    He tried the navigation initially & compared to his Garmin. He promptly went back to his Garmin.
    Earlier this year in Texas my wife & son had navigation issues with the Garmin. They ended up using Google Maps & Waze. They did not even consider using the Toyota navigation.

15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There have been some major roadworks which require diversions as you enter Cornwall from Plymouth, Devon. Of all the navigation apps including a subscribed version of TomTom Go, only Google Maps and Waze we aware of it and offered expeditious diversion routing. Personally, I like TomTom's plain mapping and display info, Waze's detail and voices are good, but the routings can someone is very narrow single track country roads and that can be stressful with contagious traffic having to use passing places.

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is that a typo or a British term?

RCO likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL. Well, now I've chronicled it, it must be. Do you think I should claim a copyright? I wish Google would produce an app to correct erroneous auto-corrections for me. :rolleyes:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess you meant continuous.
    What about "having to use passing places". What are they?

19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Isn't your Google Android keyboard the source of your auto-correction?
    You want Google to provide a solution to Google. Compete with itself? Admit it is not perfect?

20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When roads are only wide enough for one vehicle at a time they site like lay-bys every 1,000 yards or so where cars can pull in to allow contraflow vehicles to pass. It usually involves somebody reversing to get out of the way. These roads often follow the ancient animal pathways in farming country.

Got it in one, but I don't demand only Google for the task. Remember I'm finger typing on an 8"tablet using a swipe keyboard. It's more like handwriting than typing but the downside is my unfortunately typos!

#20 RCO, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Prodigyplace likes this.