1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Energy Control Module

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TomLaNa, Mar 12, 2021.

1. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 05 Prius with 131,000 miles with a second hybrid battery which was replaced at 100,000 miles has a warning light; I took it to Toyota but they claim I need another hybrid battery and a battery control module. Their estimate makes it a non-start due to the cost of almost $4,000.

I contacted one of the secondary hybrid battery suppliers(Hybrid Battery 911) and they wanted the warning code so I purchased a FIXD reader and it says that I need to replace the Battery Energy Control Module(P3030), so my question is, should I just buy a used or reconditioned module and wiring harness and see if that solves the problem or just go for a replacement reconditioned battery. My electrical knowledge is very basic, I've looked at some of the Youtube replacement video's so I'm sure that I can get the battery out and checked for corrosion.

Thanks.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Was the second hybrid battery replaced with a new OEM by the dealership?

Given the low miles and your location, I would check the HV battery ECU and harness for corrosion, and clean or replace as needed.
    Not all OBD2 scanner are hybrid compatible, and may not offer all of the stored OBD2 codes (DTCs) in the computers (ECUs).

Don't know much about the FIXD product, many DIYers will use a 'mini-vci' cable (20 usd) and Techstream (dealership technician software) installed on a windows device. Others may get by with using an OBD2 adapter with an App like Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant. If going the bluetooth route, be sure to purchase a quality adapter : Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Like 911 mentioned, try inspecting your existing ECU and the voltage sense harness for corrosion first, before replacement. Look closely at the socket and connector, and you may want to remove the ECU cover and take a peak inside for green stuff or whiskers as well.

The battery fires at ECU sense connector thread | PriusChat
    The battery fires at ECU sense connector thread | Page 5 | PriusChat

Sounds like you have this covered already, and you shouldn't need to physically remove the HV battery to get at the ECU. Besides the videos, here is a step by step guide with images : 2004 – 2009 Toyota Prius Plug-and-Play Car Harness Installation Instructions | Hybrid Automotive

I wouldn't recommend a refurbished HV battery unless I knew the person doing the rebuilding. New OEM can be had for under 2k, then self install. There is also the newpriusbatteries.com option as well for 1600 total, which includes delivery, and again a self install.

Has the HV battery fan ever been cleaned?

FYI : your posts are being moderated until you've posted five (5) times.

3. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Was the second hybrid battery replaced with a new OEM by the dealership?

Given the low miles and your location, I would check the HV battery ECU and harness for corrosion, and clean or replace as needed."

Yes, the HB was replaced with a new OEM battery by the dealer. When I took it in for the latest issue, they said there was some corrosion around the ECU pins. Unfortunately since Covid we hadn't really been driving the car and with the humidity in Florida there was obviously something going on over the past year.

I will pull the cover and take some pictures of the what I find on the ECU plug. The HV battery fan has not been cleaned by me, didn't know that was an issue.

I purchased the FIXD reader based on a conversation with a H-battery supplier, I will take the next step once I get the cover off the ECU.

Thanks for your help and links, I will look them over and post my questions.

SFO likes this.
  4. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I pulled all of the connections and everything looks clean with no corrosion. Should I take the battery out and look at the busbar to make sure there isn't any corrosion on the bolts or can that also be done without pulling the battery?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

SFO likes this.
  5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The pins on the left side of the orange socket look suspect, can you remove the ECU cover and inspect at the motherboard?

You shouldn't need to take out the battery to remove the main cover for inspection, just remove the back seat. That new OEM battery came with new busbars, and a voltage sense harness, but the old ECU was swapped into the new pack, so check inside the ECU first.

How many years ago was the new OEM battery installed?

Do you have any water leaking into the cabin?

TomLaNa and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re-looking at those pins and they do look a little discolored. I removed the cover to the ECU and it looks fine but I will post a photo.

I will pull the cover and take a look at the harness. I believe that battery was installed about 4-5 years ago.

No leaks but there is some rust in the small battery location. But I did notice that the car windows will show humidity compared to the windows in our Outback in the same location. But there are no wet spots, but we are about to get four days of rain so I will see what happens.

7. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The pins on the left look a little corrupted. Source for a new ECU?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the backside of that socket, where the pins exit the socket, and where the pins enter the PC board. Though hard to tell, the lower right pin in the last picture kind of shows a dark spot on the PC board, if corroded you may just call it dead. Post closeup pics if you can.

If it passes the above visual, try to clean up the pins inside the socket using a tiny strip of emory board, or a piece of curved sandpaper.

You could buy new, but many would just buy used. There are some members here that you could support, or check CL / OU / fleabay

Which metroplex, or part of FL would be closest to you? (only Florida listed in your user profile)

TomLaNa and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In one of the images posted in post #4, I noticed the two nuts (circled in the attached image) are loose. Did you loosen them off? Also the bracket secured by those two nuts looks to be upside down. @TMR-JWAP, correct me if I am wrong on the orientation of that bracket.
    TomLaNa Battery.jpg

If you didn't loosen those nuts, they need to be tightened up. This is an important ground point.

10. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am in Pensacola, Fl. Found an ECU on eBay for $100 bucks including shipping.
    No discoloring of the pins on the flip side so I will clean up the pins in the socket and spray it with Deoxit.

[​IMG]
    A few of the nuts on the busbar have some corrosion so I will remove and clean those up. Also, I checked all of the cells and they all read 7.84 or 7.85.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

SFO likes this.
  11. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I loosened those nuts but didn't touch the bracket. Should I flip the bracket?

12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be sure to retorque those nuts to 48 inch pounds (aka 4 foot pounds). You could also gently clean them with a tooth brush.

Make sure the ECU plug is as clean as the socket.

The staining on the rail, was that from the recent cleaning?

#12 SFO, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  13. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Should I not remove the nuts and just clean them with a brush?

What should I use to clean the socket plug holes?

You mean the staining at the bottom of the battery pan? If so, I don't know where that is from as I have not cleaned anything yet.

14. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Try the brush and the deoxit.
    Again with the deoxit, not sure if anything would clean better. The socket/plug should be fine after this cleanup, or until it corrodes again.
    Usually that staining is from leaking modules. Wouldn't worry, just something to be aware of.

Do you park in the sun with the windows up?

TomLaNa likes this.
  15. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, I will brush and Deoxit the nuts and spray some in the plug.

Does the 7.84 reading from the cells indicate all is well or is that a false flag?

Yes, the car sits in the sun with the windows closed. The garage is full of motorcycles and a 70 el Camino so the cars sit outside, guess I'll keep the windows down in the future provided I can get this car working again.

16. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try mating the socket and plug together when using the deoxit, maybe that will help clean it up some.
    That battery is basically new with only 30k and 3 years on it. In the future you might top charge it by using a HV power supply.
    Crack the windows when not raining, and consider tint (ceramic is best) and or window reflectors. I've seen some DIY reflectors made from insulated (metallic clad bubble wrap) food delivery bags / boxes, people post them on CL hoping someone can repurpose them. Always use the AC when above 80F, and you might want to overdrive the HV battery fan to keep the battery on the cooler side.

When cleaning the HV fan, pay attention to the nearby white connector/socket, which is a known point for corrosion as well.

[​IMG]

#16 SFO, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    TomLaNa likes this.
  17. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I plugged everything back in but NG. The reader still says there is a disconnection between battery and ECU.

A few days ago before I started taking everything apart the 12 V battery needed to be recharged but even after it was charged up the car wouldn't start. Tried another good battery but NG. Before that time the car would always start but no longer.

With a compromised ECU will the car not start? I guess it is time to buy that ECU on eBay.

18. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do another OBD2 scan, is the only code (DTC) being reported P3030?
    Before buying a used ECU, here is the workup for DTC P3030 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/repair%20manual/04pruisr/05/20zmw/cip3030b.pdf

You might test the No.2 wire frame first, likely one of the voltage sense wires is broken at a busbar. A replacement is around 60 usd.

19. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How do I test the #2 wire?

20. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On page 05-933 starting with step 6. Requires removal, and testing with a multimeter. That wiring harness is delicate, even if it doesn't test bad, it could break during reassembly. Hard to believe it corroded to failure in 3 years. If bad, spend the 60 for the replacement.

Curious if one of the voltage sense wires corroded/broke off near that staining?