1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Energy Control Module

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TomLaNa, Mar 12, 2021.

1. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, I'll pull that harness and check the resistance. Good source for that harness?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like most of your local dealers are asking around 56 usd : Select a Dealer | Toyota - Call first to confirm pricing and availability, then head over to the Tyler toyota parts counter for instant gratification. Unlikely if it can be sourced for less elsewhere.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I'll call the local dealer and see if they have one in stock.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd wait to hear from @TMR-JWAP. If no one has touched the battery since Toyota installed it, then I hate to think they got it wrong, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The stains circled below are going to be a problem, if not already a problem. You have very obvious electrolyte leakage from a module, and possibly from 2 different modules. Sometimes this is caused by a small crack where the metallic insert is pressed into the plastic case. This usually leads to a P0AA6 HV isolation fault. It would be interesting to see what voltage reading you get if you connect all the busbars as they should be, install the safety disconnect and take a voltage reading between the metal case and each of the relay studs (on the battery side of the relays). I've seen some as high as 70 volts. This alone prevented the car from being able to go Ready.

Leakage stain.jpg

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @TMR-JWAP, did you get a chance to review the image in post #9. Is that bracket on the right way up?

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the dealer installed this new OEM battery over 3 years ago, there will no longer be a warranty.

Maybe the FIXD App/device isn't fully compatible with a toyota hybrid, and some DTCs (OBD2 codes) are being left off the table.

After rescanning and confirming the known OBD2 codes (DTCs), try disconnecting the 12v battery for a couple of mins, then reconnect and attempt to start the vehicle (make Ready).

If it starts (let it run for a couple of mins), then turn it off, and then doesn't start a 2nd time, you likely have a HV isolation fault.

TomLaNa likes this.
  8. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the dealer only gave us a 30 day warranty on that battery and I questioned this at the time. The original battery had a 100,000 mile warranty and only 30 days on the new replacement battery.

According to their website, the FIXD device is compatible :Compatibility | FIXD Automotive I did check the codes again and it's only showing the Control Module fault code.

I couldn't work on the car yesterday and probably not today but I will disconnect the battery and see what happens.

SFO likes this.
  9. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, no good on the battery reboot. The start button is a tan color instead of green and a small yellow triangle appears, then disappears on the information screen.

10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If that was a new OEM and installed at a toyota dealer, then it should be a full 3 year warranty. You might talk to corporate.
    After reconnecting the 12v source it will take two (2) power cycles to make the vehicle ready. Try starting the vehicle a second time.

TomLaNa likes this.
  11. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No good on the two cycles.

In the meantime I ordered a used computer and a wiring harness which will get here sometime next week. Would the computer have something to do with getting the car started on the engine or did something else develop?

12. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, the car uses the high voltage battery and one of the electric motors in the transmission to start the engine. So if there's a problem with the battery or its computer then nothing will function.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

TomLaNa and SFO like this.
  13. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What OBD2 codes (DTCs) are you retrieving now?

When was the last time the vehicle started (weeks, months), and was that before or after the last dealer visit?

TomLaNa likes this.
  14. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am still using the same code reader, so nothing has changed but I should get the one you recommended.

It has been about three-four weeks since the car last ran and it was OK when it did run,a little bit rough from cold but then it was OK. I hadn't started the car in about 3 or 4 days after that run, then the battery went dead and it never started again with various fully charged batteries.

15. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So in theory, once I plug in the hopefully good computer the car should start if the hybrid battery is OK. If not, then I guess it's time to buy a new battery or start changing out cells which I'm reluctant to do as it sounds like a temporary fix.

16. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the current no start situation, there are no OBD2 codes (DTCs) being offered when using your current OBD2 scanner?

17. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope, ran it again and just the P3030 code.

18. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I downloaded the Mr.Prius app but it won't communicate with the FIXD reader, so I will have to purchase one of the approved readers.

SFO likes this.
  19. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I received the new/used hybrid battery computer and the new wiring harness today. After installing the computer and clearing the error codes with the Dr.Prius app the car started and I used it for about 15 miles. When I got the car home I charged up the battery as per the Dr. Prius app and it's charged to 70% and I assume that this can be done every day until it levels out.

I am waiting for a new torque wrench as I don't have one that can tighten the nuts to such a small level and will install the new wiring harness as it seems prudent to change it considering the corrosion on the previous computer plug, then I will remove and clean up the nuts on the rear bank of nuts.

Pack Voltage: 226.57
    Discharging: 0.06
    State of Charge: 70.05%
    Blade Voltage: 8.09
    Voltage Diff: 0.20v
    Max Charge: 7.37hp

Thanks

#39 TomLaNa, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  20. TomLaNa

TomLaNa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have run the diagnostics from the Dr.Prius app and the battery pack has 82.15% capacity left. My question is, should I purchase the Prolong hybrid battery charger to maintain the battery or should I also add the battery discharger? There are currently no error codes related to the hybrid battery.