1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery fan running for no reason?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by pakitt, Jan 5, 2023.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Tonight I got back home and I heard my Prime I left in the garage making a whirring noise. The battery is at 44%, ambient temp about 30F. The noise was coming from the back and could not be heard inside the cabin or wasn’t any louder from the cargo area. But I could hear it distinctly from below the rear bumper.
    With or without charging cable plugged in it would still make the noise. Opening and closing the car also made no change. And while I was investigating, the noise changed, stopped and then it started again.
    What is this noise? A fan? And why is it running “randomly” with 44% SoC and while not charging? I don’t remember ever hearing this noise in the past.
    I am used to hear noises at random times from Priuses, but this is really random and inexplicable.

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not an issue. It’s described in the manual. The system is performing some maintenance on the emission system. It happens hours after you shut off the vehicle.

pakitt likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The evap sound is just for a few seconds for me, albeit on 3rd gen hatchback Prius.

4. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring