1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery issues and "code" is eight digits

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by The Phoenix, Jan 9, 2023.

1. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I just purchased a 2016 Trim Level 4 on Saturday 1/7/2023. On Sunday 1/8/23 I was loading all my things in and had a combination of different doors and the hatch open for about 30 minutes. Not all doors and hatch were open at once. Mostly one different door at a time. The vehicle wasn't on at all. I went to start it and I got the low 12v warning. After numerous attempts with a small jump starter I got an old fashioned car to car jump and it started just fine. My problem is I want the dealership to get me a new battery. I brought it in to be tested today 1/9/23 and the told me is tested good/recharge. I had it on a 10A Charger 2A maintain last night. I don't know how to make a statement for a new battery with their diagnosis. The battery code is all numbers and doesn't seem to fit into any pattern to decipher. I apologize for the lengthy post I just wanted to give all the details I could to help anyone help me. I've included a picture of the battery top in this post. Thank you for any help anyone can provide 20230109_192454.jpg

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The dealer probably used a Midtronics tester such as the DSS-5000 or DCA-8000, which Toyota requires dealers to have. The “Good Recharge” result means the battery just needs to be recharged and can be returned to service; according to the tester’s decision algorithm, the battery doesn’t need to be replaced.

If you want to replace the battery, anyway, and need to know what kind to install, see my previous posting. Batteries of this size are now widely available, and there’s no special reason to buy one from a Toyota dealer.
    I’m not sure which code you mean.

If it’s the eight-digit number stamped in the box on the label, between the warnings in Japanese and the distributors’ addresses, that’s just a lot number, and it’s not especially informative—a GS YUASA auxiliary (12-volt) battery on a fourth-generation Prius car in the U.S. is probably the original, since the batteries available at Toyota dealers in the U.S. are of a different brand, and on a model year 2016 car, it was almost certainly made some time in 2015 or 2016.

If it’s a longer code in the results from the tester, that’s probably a warranty code, meant for Toyota to use to confirm the test result, if the dealer were to submit it when making a warranty claim for a failed battery. A major reason Toyota and other automakers require dealers to use the Midtronics testers, and to prove they’ve done so, is to avoid having to pay to replace batteries that just need recharging. The warranty code isn’t a diagnostic trouble code, such as you’d look up in the Repair Manual (more info), and since your battery passed the test and is long out of warranty coverage, the warranty code isn’t useful to you or anyone else.

Pulse07 likes this.
  3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    That looks like the original battery. Might still pass tests, but I wouldn't trust it this winter.

4. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If this is your first Gen 4 Prius, and coming from earlier Gens according to your Signature, you've discovered the 12V battery is completely different in this new Gen. First, it's under the hood, second, it's not AGM, and third, you can remove the caps on top and check/refill the electrolyte level. I'm still running the original battery in my 2016, and topped off the water level once about a year ago the first time it went flat. Associated with this incident, I tried to recharge it with a battery charger/maintainer. In order to get a good recharge, I had to remove the car's negative terminal and attach the recharger directly to the negative terminal overnight. That may have been your problem, too. Since then, I purchased a NOCO Jump Pack and have successfully used it to jump start the car a couple of times with no hassle. It can connect to the battery harness fittings and provide a quick jump start.

NOCO Specs.png

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You have a 6 year old car.......in which the rough average life of the 12 V battery is 5-6 years......and YOU killed it by leaving various lights on too long.

Expecting the dealer to give you a new battery for free is unreasonable.
    At a discount, maybe, but not free.

6. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you very much for all the information. This will help me speak intelligently at the dealership. I will be trying to convince them to get me a new battery but from how you explained the testing process I'm not sure how easy that will be. I didn't even think about the Japanese writing indicating that it was most probably the original. If anyone has suggestions on how to convince the dealership to replace it let me know. I did do a voltage test on it with a multi meter and it read 12.38. Thanks for all the great info thus far

7. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you very much for all the information. This will help me speak intelligently at the dealership. I will be trying to convince them to get me a new battery but from how you explained the testing process I'm not sure how easy that will be. I didn't even think about the Japanese writing indicating that it was most probably the original. If anyone has suggestions on how to convince the dealership to replace it let me know. I did do a voltage test on it with a multi meter and it read 12.38. Thanks for all the great info thus far

8. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It will likely be impossible.
    And if you fret over having to buy a new battery, THEY won't care and it will just make YOU sick.
    There is NO warranty on a 6 year old used car usually.
    And certainly NOT on things like tires and batteries.

I suggest that you give it one swing and then give it up.

9. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I totally understand and take responsibility for running down the battery keeping the doors open. I agree I think I will give it one try and move on, I just thought the dealership might have replaced that before it was ready to be sold but I understand that might be an unreasonable expectation.

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they go strictly by the machine reading. if it says it's good, they won't warranty it. they don't routinely replace anything before selling, only if it doesn't work.
    after you've recharged and used it for a month or so, drop by an auto zone for a free load test to make sure it's okay

11. Jburner

Jburner Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am in the same boat (2016 Original Battery with topped off electrolyte levels), but I have not taken any battery harness off to charge/maintain. I've just attached and let it go overnight and came out to a fully charged battery.

12. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just an update on the battery situation. On Thursday Jan 12th the battery again went low when I had the lift gate open while I went to get something to put in the hatch area, it was like 5 minutes maybe 10. I was still having problems with my battery jump
    starter so I used another vehicle and cables. I had an appointment at the dealership to look at why the tire pressure sensor light had been on since I bought it. This time when it was looked at the battery did test bad and they indeed replace it. I was told that the low 12v cause the TMPS to "shut off" and everything was good now. WRONG! Ha ha. The light went just before I got home. I made ANOTHER appointment and they knew I was coming and apologized for the miscommunication from last time. They did a scan and all 4 sensors were not transmitting. They re assigned the sensors and got them to read and now I'm finally happy with my new Prius with a new battery and no extra warning lights on. Thanks again for all the feedback and information

Jburner likes this.
  13. Jburner

Jburner Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great to hear you are light free. I ended up replacing my 12v thanks to this discussion. Had it load tested and the amperage was 184. Not bad for a 7 year old battery. Rather pay less early than more later.

The Phoenix likes this.