1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Battery Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bkcriz20, May 24, 2017.

1. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In a early post I stated that I received "Red Triangle" indicator while driving home 2 days ago. I took my Prius to my mechanic but his scanners aren't for Hybrid cars, he did states that he didn't see anything wrong mechanical wise. He took all indicators off the dashborad. I drove straight home which is a 5 minute drive. I've park my Prius and haven't drove since I was in the middle of finals. On Monday night (10:10pm) I took a picture of the battery screen and then I took one today (6:51am).

My question is, if the "Red Triangle" indicator is a battery issue then why is my battery still be charged and why do I still have half charged this morning ???

Attached Files:

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Alas this is a much more complicated issue than you seem to think.
    You NEED to find a shop that has experience and the equipment to work on hybrids.

Sometimes this is caused by the little 12 V battery failing......but at 10 years old, it could go either way.
    And in some states, you would be right on the line for the "hybrid system" warranty.

I think it would be best to have a dealer look at it......and ask about the warranty.

P.S. Once you start a thread about a problem in a forum like this, it is MUCH better to continue the first one you started........rather than shotgun the story all over the place so it's hard to connect.

bkcriz20 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! how many miles on her?

if it is the hybrid battery, it just means one of the cells has slipped over the parameters that toyota has set in the computers. it isn't usually a catastrophic event, but a slow gradual decline, the triangle just being the first warning sign that it's time to get it analyzed and consider your options before it's too late.

4. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My 07 Prius has 108,890 miles and I live/Register the car in NYC. Do anyone think I still have a warranty coverage for the Hybrid battery?. I've read that an extend warranty was in place for 10yr/150,000 miles. I've been secarching for the information myself but just found conflicting articles. Can someon verify this information.

5. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New York gets its standards from the California Air Resources Board, so your hybrid battery is covered for 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. Since you have a 2007 model and it's currently 2017, it would depend on your car's date of manufacture to determine whether you are still under warranty or not.

However, I'd also like to point out that a red triangle can mean many things, and you may be jumping to conclusions by assuming it's a hybrid battery problem.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    #6 JimboPalmer, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  7. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for that information. Much appreciated.

Now I have an appointment at a Toyota dealership on Tuesday, May 30. It was the earliest I can get. My question is, should I contact Toyota USA first before my appointment or should I wait and see what they say at Toyota dealership ??.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your call, but I would wait and see.

Assuming it turns out to be battery problem, for sure ask at the dealership regarding "good will extension". You might for example get 50% of the costs compensated.

Do try to get a record of the codes, and post here.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it is the battery, ask the dealership to contact toyota for the goodwill warranty.
    it's 10 years from the first registration (put in service), not manufacturing date.

10. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I am the 2nd and owner I believe the first owner lived in Manhattan. Is there a way I can find this information about where the first owner registered the car when she bought it ?!

#10 bkcriz20, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably with your dmv, but you can try registering you vin on the toyota owners sight and see what it shows.

12. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I think the first owner bought the 07 Prius in Huntsville, Al. I believe that's Alabama.

Is Alabama a CARB state, what would be the warranty ?

13. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well I don't know for sure if that's where she bought the car. It don't say any where that's where it was bought but I do see"Selling Dealer" which I think it's the preferred seller you can choose on the Toyota website.

14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Make that "date of first use", usually that is the first sale date.

And.....given the VIN, any Toyota dealer should be able to look it up and see exactly what your warranty status is.

15. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well tomorrow (5/30) is the big day. I will have my 07 Prius w/ 108,890 miles checked out and see what's wrong. I'll get the codes from the Toyota Dealership.

If the problem is my Hybrid battery and if I can't get warranty From the Dealership then my next step is to called Toyota directly for "Good Will" assistants. I'm praying I'll get some sort of warranty or assistants.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    alabama is not carb, 8/100.

17. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I'm off by a month from getting warranty. I received codes P0A80 and P03017.

The dealership didn't want to give me assistance and then I went outside the dealership called Toyota directly and they didn't want me to give me assistance.

I have an 07 Prius with 108,840 miles. I only had the car for alittle over a year (I'm the second owner). I had the warranty for 10yr/150,000 miles and since the car was first used on April 14, 2007 I'm not longer available for warranty. So I'm stuck with $3471.65. Don't know what to do now.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota shut the discussion right down, no 50/50 offer, something similar?

There's a thread here somewhere, about just this: how owners a bit out-of-warranty have faired, what deals they've got. There have been a lot of 50/50 deals IIRC.

19. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There may be a number of factors involved in their decision, some of them we wouldn't know as consumers.
    1. Are you a regular customer of the dealership for repairs, service, other car purchases? They may not see you as worth the gamble financially.
    2. Toyota personnel may have gotten the word from management that they were giving away these "goodwill warranty" repairs too generously and need to cut the number down.
    3. Now that some dealerships are now offering refurbished batteries at a lower price than a new one they know you now have a cheaper repair option through them than before.
    4. The person at the other end of the phone at Toyota was having a bad day or new trying to impress management with adherence to company lines and company profit.

I'd definitely contact Toyota again, hopefully getting someone else who will help with getting some kind of a discount on the repair. Especially if you are a regular customer of their service departments.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. bkcriz20

bkcriz20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks. I'm not a regular at the dealership. This is my first car and I thought maybe going to a mechanic by me which is 5 minutes away is more convenient then going to a Toyota dealership which is 20mins from me.

I understand by being a regular at the dealership can help you get some assistance but I've had the car since December 2016 and my warranty has been out for one month now (4/26/06). But I guess it's all a gamble when it comes to cars.