1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery warranty claim problems

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sterlingarcher6969, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Sterlingarcher6969

Sterlingarcher6969 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is kind of a follow up post concerning my overheating battery

Thermal paste to help cool aging traction battery. | PriusChat.

Now that it's winter my problems have more or less disappeared. Highest I've seen was 111°f Every now and then I have to put the windows down and let the cold air in for the battery to cool down but that's it.

However...Im not looking forward to this summer, last year after my previous post, I went to my local Toyota dealership to try and get the battery replaced under warranty because I'm under the 150000 mile mark. However what I got was, being told It's MY fault I have low MPGs (at worst 32 city / 52 hwy) and that they couldn't reproduce the issues I claim. I told them it heats up over the course of a couple hours yet somehow they are able to tell me it's fine after only driving it 1 mile
    Then proceed to charge me $350 and say I'm worrying about nothing.

I talked to the service manager a couple days later and she said she would call me back the next day...... nothing for a week. I call again and I'm told I'll receive a call from her after her meeting she was in. Fast forward 5 months and here I am making this post.

I don't know what to do.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It may not be what you want to hear, but I’d suggest planning to replace the HV battery or the car, at your own expense. As the brochure (PDF) says, “Actual mileage will vary,” and there is no warranty for fuel economy.

It’s highly unlikely that a Toyota dealer would replace an HV battery at no charge unless they can substantiate the need for replacement using the procedures in the Repair Manual (more info), which rely on the car’s self-monitoring and self-diagnostic capabilities. If the car is drivable, can pass a Smog Check inspection, and hasn’t stored any of the HV battery-related diagnostic trouble codes (such as P0A7F, P0A80, P3011 through P3024, or P308A), then it may be difficult to show that there is a defect covered by the warranty.

Toyota simply hasn’t disclosed the information needed to determine independently whether an HV battery failure exists: even if the dealer could confirm your temperature or voltage observations, the Repair Manual generally doesn’t give any criteria to judge whether they indicate a failure, since it’s assumed that the car’s computers would store a DTC whenever abnormal conditions persist. The thresholds for many of the DTCs are omitted as “TMC’s intellectual property,” that is, trade secrets of Toyota Motor Corporation.

If you’re dissatisfied with the dealer’s response, you could follow the three-step escalation procedure, pages 5–6 in the Warranty & Maintenance Guide (PDF), or write to CARB at the address on page 29, but I wouldn’t be too optimistic about the results.

3. Sterlingarcher6969

Sterlingarcher6969 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't understand how if the battery gets so hot that the ecu stops all current in and out of the battery can be considered "within spec and won't set of a dtc" that's dangerous! the extra horsepower while not much can mean the difference between being rear ended or not.

Could the reason it won't set off dtcs be that I try to keep it cool with my ac vent to the intake? Meaning it never says hot long enough to set them off.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    possibly. if you let the battery do it's normal thing and just drive it, it may fail and set codes.

but the downside is that if it doesn't by 150k, you're out of luck, and you may shorten the lifespan.

unfortunately, this is the nature of the toyota beast, and we're all subject to these potential failures, but we don't all know it because we aren't monitoring everything.

as for your mpg's, there is no way for us to determine the cause on the internet, we can only offer the same old advice that you can easily find by google.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 Do you feel lucky? Really, I don't think the warranty will cover unless there is a documentable code.

I did a similar thing with my first hybrid HCH and I got the code (for HCH, an IMA warning light on the dash is the sign). I was ecstatic when I got the IMA light on my dash just 2 months and a few thousand miles shy of the warranty coverage limit. Got a brand new traction battery for free, but the car was totaled not too long after that by an accident. So the moral of the story is You can't have your cake and eat it. LOL

2010moneypit? likes this.