1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Been through gambit with my 2001 need help

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Kurtis, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Kurtis

Kurtis New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey Chapman I’m back at it. I lifted a tire up and put in Neutral the tire spun easily. I’m having trouble finding the bolt you’re saying. I have the manual I bought up on my computer. I’m gonna upload the pic.
    I appreciate any response. You are a life saver my dude or dudette.

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, that's it. A convenient place to put a wrench just to see if you can easily turn the crankshaft.

Clockwise is the normal direction (top toward the front of the car).

WHCSC likes this.
  3. Kurtis

Kurtis New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok awesome I appreciate the fast response. One more question should the car be in neutral for this test as well?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Doesn't matter. Park is fine. Park position locks MG2 and the differential from turning, but not MG1 or the engine. (At least, when nothing's broken, which is the thing to find out.)

5. Kurtis

Kurtis New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Alright so it took a little doing but the crankshaft was stuck a bit maybe because it sat since March? It now freely moves when I twist it with a ratchet. That’s good right?

6. Kurtis

Kurtis New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I checked the 88403pressure plate by hand and it spun easily. What do you think I should check next?

7. Kurtis

Kurtis New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well I have another update I tried starting it after releasing the crankshaft and after trying to move forward and backward I was getting no movement forward and the engine just revving, so I tried backward moves very little. I then discovered the drive belt snapped. So I’m assuming that rubberish smell was maybe rust and metal together. So I need to replace that
    Do you know if there is a guide for that?

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm. :)

Hmmm. :)

HMMMM. :)

So turning the crankshaft was difficult at first, but then it got easy, and now the engine will crank over and start, and the drive belt is busted. Oh, and the pressure plate for the A/C compressor turns easily.

Right now, while your drive belt isn't there, is the perfect time for you to go out there and try to turn by hand:

• The A/C pulley
    • The water pump pulley
    • The idler pulley

Every one of those should turn easily and smoothly and quietly.

My money is on you finding one that doesn't. And then you'll know why the engine couldn't crank while the belt was there.

9. Kurtis

Kurtis New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey Chapman, once again I appreciate your expertise in this matter. So I was able to rotate by hand the idler pulley the water pump pulley, the ac compressor pressure plate, and the crankshaft with little effort except the crank shaft required a little more force but not much. I felt it moving the engine though by vibration. I’m going to buy a replacement belt. I see where the belt was burning and stuck. The bet smells like that smell I smelt when I first tried starting it. Crossing my fingers this is all it is. What else do I think I should check if this doesn’t work?

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Please before you burn up another belt, also see if you can rotate by hand the one thing you haven't reported on yet.

It's the part 88301 here, the part the belt was on.

[​IMG]

11. Kurtis

Kurtis New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    well I tried to spin that with some force and that part does not spin at all. So now I’m wondering what do I do next. Seems like the compressor at fault?

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, just the compressor clutch (the parts grouped there as 88410). Buy that.

2002 Toyota Prius Clutch assembly, magnet. Compressor, conditioning, air - 8841047030 - Genuine Toyota Part

When you turned the pressure plate easily, you proved the compressor is ok.

This is good. You would rather change the clutch than change the whole compressor. Changing the whole compressor would mean refrigerant recovery and recharging and the whole nine yards. Changing the clutch is no big deal.

Follow this thread:

A/C Clutch Diagnosis and Replacement | PriusChat

13. Kurtis

Kurtis New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yea that sounds way better than doing the entire compressor. So I have a used compressor that I bought years ago for this car. I was planning on doing that job once I knew the ac was messed up. Can I use the replacement compressor parts for this or is it better to get that new?
    The part was grade a from salvage yard and guaranteed work they said( I know sometimes don’t mean much)

I also am getting the triangle still for the inverter, yet it seems the hybrid battery is getting charged from the noise it made when I started it

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you read the trouble codes to go with that triangle? If not, all you know is you have the triangle, not what the triangle is for.

If you have a compressor with a clutch on it, sure, you may be able swap the clutch. Does the pulley on that one turn smoothly, no sign of roughness or looseness?

There is probably nothing at all wrong with your current magnet coil (the third part in there, 88302), hence no reason to fuss with swapping that over.

When you remove and reinstall the snap ring that holds the pulley/rotor in place, pay attention to which side of it is beveled. That gets mentioned later on in that clutch thread I linked to, but it's left unsaid in the first post.

Spend the $1.34 on a new shim kit. (The name in the parts catalog is goofy. They're not gaskets, they're shims, three little washers of slightly different thickness, 0.1, 0.3, and 0.5 mm.)

[​IMG]

When you move the clutch parts over to the compressor on your car, you'll put in some shims as a test fit. Maybe the same ones that were in there before. Then assemble it and test how far the magnet moves the pressure plate:

clutch.png

If you haven't got a dial indicator, they're cheap at places like Harbor Freight. You can refer to this post for an easy way of switching the magnet coil on and off using a cheap "remote start button" tool your local auto shoppe probably has.

On a good day, you have the right clearance on the first try (0.5 mm is ideal, 0.35 to 0.65 is ok).

Otherwise, you write down the clearance you got, take the pressure plate back off, take those test shims out, and measure what their total thickness is. Then you figure (edit warning: I fixed a mistake here):

needed thickness = test shim thickness + 0.5 mm - measured clearance

and you pick a combination of the shims you have on hand that will add up as close as you can get to needed thickness, and reassemble using those.

Usually there will be two combinations you can pick that will be in the acceptable range, one on the loose side, one on the tight side. If you can get away with it, use the tighter one; you'll get longer use of the clutch before the next time it needs adjustment.

But also check after you have the belt back on and start the engine: when the A/C is turned off, is the pressure plate being dragged around some by the rotating pulley? It should sit still with the A/C turned off.

If it's getting dragged around, fall back to the looser shim combination.

If you hang on to the shims you don't use this time, you'll be all set for another 200,000 miles down the road when you need to correct the clearance again.

#34 ChapmanF, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  15. Kurtis

Kurtis New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    moo I defintely plan on ordering those shims there was only a tiny washer than came off the shaft. Is that where the shims go?

also uploading pics of what the parts looked like

Attached Files:

16. Kurtis

Kurtis New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have one more I forgot the magnet. I did upload it but my question was does the magnet look good? And how to test if it is

Attached Files:

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You'll be testing that when you check the clearance anyway. I've never heard of a bad one. If it is you'll know. :)

18. Kurtis

Kurtis New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok so for now don’t take off the 88302 part off then? Take the replacement parts off and then apply those parts to the old compressor? Which part number is the clutch again? I have taken two pieces off one c clip and one washer and a bolt. I have not taken off the c clip on the magnet.

Sorry for the questions I just don’t want to take off more than I need too. This car is so old and very rusted I have snapped so many bolts off this car due to rust. I had to tap a bunch of holes

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The whole "clutch" is all three parts in the grouping 88410 in the diagram above. But I've never heard of the magnet coil (88302) going bad, so I was suggesting to just leave that part alone and swap the other two.

The diagram indicates three small items grouped as 88330A. Those are the shims. It shows three because that's how many come in the new shim kit. You are not guaranteed to find three in there when you take the pressure plate off. More likely one or two. As I described above, the right combination of shims will be chosen to get the right pressure plate clearance.

When you get a shim kit, remember the three shims in it are three different thicknesses. They are so close, 0.1, 0.3, and 0.5 mm, that if you just look at the old one(s) you took out from the compressor, you probably can't tell which you've got without a micrometer. But if you start with the three out of a new kit, which you know are three different sizes, you'll be able to put them in order by feel and know which one is which. Then you can compare the ones out of the compressor to the ones you know.

I've seen people actually miss that the three in the kit were different thicknesses at all. You have to know that they are, and then if you're paying attention you can tell the differences.

Sometimes people taking a clutch apart will find one odd washer in there, noticeably thicker than any of the official shims. No big deal; you still calculate what to use for reassembly the same way.

It's ok to scroll up in the thread and review older posts; I think a lot of them answer questions you're asking, have links that will help you, etc.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Experimental suggestion: remove the drive belt, then try to start the engine. If either the water pump or AC compressor is seized, it would behave as Chap describes. So remove the belt; those two items are removed as possible problems. If the engine starts and runs, then you have narrowed the suspect list to something on the belt. If it does not run, then you are left with engine internals as the difficulty.

<edit> I see that Chap has already made a similar suggestion... to test both water pump and AC compressor with the belt slack. Then proceed based on that data.

Good luck with the fault diagnosis!