1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

best performance so far: How does this compare to y'all?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by WesleyRiccipio, Aug 24, 2022.

Tags:
  1. WesleyRiccipio

WesleyRiccipio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMG_0699.jpg
    2010 OEM battery pack. Used Dr. Prius and the pack could def be replaced. I drove w battery as much as I could!

Salamander_King likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you realize that you are in the Prius Prime forum? We can get 999.9mpg with the battery alone for ~25 miles or more.;)

upload_2022-8-24_6-45-27.png

#2 Salamander_King, Aug 24, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    pghyndman likes this.
  3. WesleyRiccipio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Whoops I must have clicked the wrong one. But the prius prime cannot sustain such high for very long, correct? Otherwise it would have a much longer range I would assume.

4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    25miles is the EPA-rated EV range average, but many owners can go further. My personal record is 38miles on a full charge. Of course, if I drive less than 25miles at a time and recharge after each drive, I can keep driving at 999.9mpg indefinitely (or until about 6 months when the car forces the maintenance mode to fire up the engine).

I often do drive longer than the traction battery allows me to drive on the EV mode. On gasoline engine only, my PP gets anywhere from 55 to 65mpg on average and over 600 miles range without paying any attention to how and where I drive. 54mpg and 640miles total range is the EPA-rated mixed drive efficiency and range on all models of PP. If I am more mindful, 75 to 80mpg is easily doable. My current tank of gas is showing ~120mpg and my lifetime mpg for the odometer (9762 miles) is 105.5MPG with about 65% EV ratio,

upload_2022-8-24_7-25-2.png

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s a good tank. Calculated will be a little less, if you keep track of the gas needed to refill. Judging from average speed mostly ‘round town.

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Wes! If you want to you can click the "Report" button and ask the moderator to move it to the right forum. On the other hand, this could be the start of an interesting comparison between the PiP and Prime.

I've owned both. On the PiP, I usually got at least 600 miles per tank and often over 800 miles. With the Prime, I've done over 3,000 a few times and one was about 3,500 miles.

MPG in HV mode is better too. In regular city driving (35-55 mph), the PiP was returning about 50-55 mpg, IIRC. The Prime gets me 60-68mpg routinely. But at 70 mph interstate speeds, the Prime is not dramatically better than the PiP. Just vastly more comfortable. ;)

PiP's a great car in the right circumstances. It just wasn't ideal for mine. Enjoy your ride! (y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Reported, but noted that salamander’s comments will be confusing if it’s moved.

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think OP drives 2010 Gen3. That is if his profile info is correct.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. WesleyRiccipio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks guys and sorry for creating a thread in the wrong place! Rookie mistake

It would be interesting to compare your impact to a Gen III. The $ spent on gas/year. That will reveal the true value, which otherwise is a bit hard to grasp on the surface, at least for me, because the capacity is minimal.
    If you mix in good driving habits(like you mentioned), you really wouldn't be activating the regular EV pack/cells (is it a separate battery or did they put one big battery together for it?) much at all, right?

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I owned 2015 Gen3 before switching to a PP. The timing was perfect for purchasing a new PP at the time with a huge Toyota rebate and tax credit. It was far cheaper to buy and operate a PP than to keep the 2015 Gen3.

PP is a plug-in hybrid that prioritizes driving in EV mode. It has just one larger traction battery than a regular Prius. If there is sufficient charge left, then the car runs on EV mode. When the charge gets lower and will not allow the EV mode, then the car switches to a regular Hybrid mode. As long as the trip is shorter than the EV range left on the traction battery, there is not much benefit to switching to HV mode and using the gas engine. Many PP owners drive it mostly as a pure electric car and only use engines for longer ranges.

Many including myself aim to drive a PP as efficiently as possible without using a gasoline engine. This is especially true now with the very high cost of gasoline and relatively cheaper electricity. The caveat is that there are times the engine comes on even though there is enough battery charge left, such as on a very cold day with heat on or speed exceeding the EV mode limit (84mph).

11. WesleyRiccipio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That’s amazing. I checked prices and it is now my dream Prius with the powder blue. Maybe one day if the prices ever come down. This is the most future proof car imo because of what it is and price. Hopefully not many others see that so I can eventually snag it under $10k!

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may be waiting for a while. With the supply shortage and tax law changes, the huge Toyota rebate and tax credit are things of the past now. A used PP is now selling higher price than the sticker price of a new PP (22 models), but there aren't many 2022 PP to be found. When you do, it is often marked up way more than MSRP.

I paid ~$22K for a 2015 Gen3 Prius Two new at a dealer but paid a total of ~$19K on 2020 PP LE after incentives and tax credit. Wait for a few more months, there will be some announcement from Toyota on the all-new Gen5 Prius. We don't know anything about what is going to happen to Prius Prime models.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. DirkAshburn

DirkAshburn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wish I could get in the 50s! 2011 Prius, current tank I'm at 41MPG - which is better than the 33 mpg I was getting before I reset the ECU. Not declaring a win yet, but looking good so far.

ukulelegeek and bisco like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just did the math: my almost lifetime calculated mpg (missed the first couple of months) on the 2010, purchased November 2010, is currently at 5.0 liters per 100 km, which translates to 47 mpg US. It was 48 mpg but dropped with new tires. 17” tires.

16. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not too shabby. I’ve had the results below for the last 5 years.

2D39B9A0-F15F-42A8-93B1-6EAF778FAEBB.jpeg

ukulelegeek, ToyXW and WesleyRiccipio like this.
  17. WesleyRiccipio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ah, I shall see mine go down too then. I just got delivered 17" 235. The wide wheels will be fun to try at least!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maximizing battery use is generally not a good path to maximizing MPG.

Looking for some aspirational targets? Try these, though note that only a small minority of Prius owners met any of these milestones:

600 Mile Club | PriusChat
    700 Mile Club | PriusChat
    800+ Mile Club | PriusChat
    1000 mile club in Japan | PriusChat
    First 1000+ miles and 100+mpg tank on Gen III | PriusChat

19. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had my Prime for 2-1/2 years and driven it 43,101 miles as of the last time I bought gas, which was July 18. I have about 1,200 miles on this tank so far and it still reads full.

Here's what I've spent on gas & electricity since owning the car and the cost compared to a 49 mpg car and a 28 mpg car. This includes two vacation trips totaling over 10,000 miles. Since getting solar power last year, cost per mile aside from vacation trips is running between 1.4 and 2.4 cents per mile. (I charge myself 3 cents per kWh for solar since that's what the electric company pays me for excess production each year.)

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 6.38.46 AM.png

ukulelegeek and WesleyRiccipio like this.
  20. WesleyRiccipio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow..much to learn I have. How are these MPGs possible that are listed in these threads? Are the modding or driving carefully??

ukulelegeek likes this.