1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Upkeep On 2018 Prius Prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Winky_86, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Winky_86

Winky_86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hello everyone, I recently bought a used 2018 Prius Prime Premium, it has around 50k Miles on it. I'm fairly new to EV / Gas powered cars, was just curious about the best maintenance to keep the battery strong and the car in general last a long time. I drive about 30 miles round trip to work 4 days a week and charge at home and at work, so I barely use any gas daily. I go through about a full tank of gas every 2 weeks or so. Any tips on keeping the battery strong or suggested yearly maintenance I should be doing to keep my car long-lasting?

Also, was curious about how to time the oil change on my 2018 Prius Prime Premium, when I normally always am driving on electric power and don't use the engine too often, should I still stick to the rule of thumb to change the oil every 5k miles, even though my car is not running the engine much in that time period? It's been about 6k miles since my last oil change and the oil still looks very clean.

Thanks for any comments or feedback I really appreciate it!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just editorial, should “weeks” read “months?

Considering it’s a regularly charged Prime, the 10k mile or 12 month oil change interval should be fine.

Consider doing a transaxle fluid change, to flush out break-in particulate. One early change seems most effective. Be careful with this; don’t be talked into using anything but Toyota Genuine ATF WS.

A brake fluid change is not mentioned by Toyota USA, however Toyota Canada recommends tri-yearly or 48k kms (30k miles).

Toyota USA recommends a more in-depth brake inspection 30k miles or tri-yearly.

If considering DIY of any of the above I can post more info.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see my reply in your dupe thread