1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

black box location

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by amos, Jun 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I knew you'd posted it somewhere. The access to the car could be the point in question. Not sure about every locale, but Police here will impound a car after a fatality or critical incident - and have access to the EDR. Similarly, the Coroner.

Whether insurance companies have a right to interrogate the data is subject to where the event occurred, and apparently some policies include provisions in their policyholders' contracts to require that drivers hand over EDR data. But some states preclude that.

Do you know if Police, Coroner etc would be able to interrogate the data without involving TOYOTA technicians?

amos and Elektroingenieur like this.
  2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I don't think it works this way. The "black box" is integrated into the vehicle computers.

amos likes this.
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes. Bosch and its U.S. distributor don’t seem to impose any restrictions, other than the price, on who can buy or use the retrieval (CDR) tool. The Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, which can show vehicle control history events and smart key operation history, for example, is also available to anyone.

It’s likely that some of the ECUs store other information that could be accessed only with cooperation from Toyota or its suppliers. For example, a vehicle with the Predictive Efficient Drive feature is presumably keeping some location-related history, but I don’t know of a commercially available tool to extract it.

amos and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Toyota programmed the computers, and they work perfectly. Don’t mess with it.

Shout out McCoalroller - what’s up with your avatar? Do you wear a cowboy hat and drive a diesel with dualies or a Prius 2? Sarcastic?

amos likes this.
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't wear cowboy hats. I don't have a truck. It's just a picture of Jeff Goldblum from an old movie. I do have a Prius c. I've never attempted sarcasm.

amos and krmcg like this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do, or do not. There is no 'attempt'.