1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blown Head gasket rebuild....@297k

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 8, 2017.

1. bacire

bacire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you all think that just replacing the head gasket and checking/repairing the cylinder is the way to go rather than replacing the entire engine?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just from what I've been reading here: replacing the engine (with relatively low mileage salvage engine) might be cheaper. The labour is the killer doing a rebuild. On the flip side, a salvage engine is a gamble, hopefully not abused.

I don't really have the experience to say the sweet spot for mileage on the salvage engine, but for sure the lower the mileage the better your odds it will be problem free.

Also, there's a couple of members here now that have used 4th Gen salvage engines. They're relatively cheap and low miles. Here's a 15 part video on such a swap. Some adjustments are needed, but food for thought.

Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v | Page 2 | PriusChat

In the video he mentions LKQ for salvage engines. He also mentions his engine had damaged oil pan which he needed to replace. I wouldn't doubt that damage was incurred due to their shipping method: upright and strapped to a wooden shipping pallet.

Talk to your mechanic too, they can give the pros and cons of each approach. Much depends on their labour charge for rebuild.

#422 Mendel Leisk, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    danlatu likes this.
  3. bacire

bacire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank You

4. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure your coolant is topped off. Oil and coolant are what help keep your motor temps down which prevent engine damage and wear.

5. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A lot of salvage/used engines come with a warranty and with more money, you can buy an extended warranty. If I were to buy a used motor. I would run it and change the oil in 250~500 miles. Then stick with 5k oci and monitor oil level every time you get fuel. So if you end up buying a motor that does have a blown head gasket, cracked head etc. the warranty will cover a replacement but you will have to eat the cost of install, removal and install.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for that link on 4th gen engine swap, This is one of the best threads i have seen. I always have loved hondas because of this. Being able to use a k series motor to replace my b series kind of thing. With all the complex computers, I never thought it was possible to do on a prius.

7. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Troubles again.
    Engine knocks again.
    Well after about 40.000miles of replacing HG, new egr valve cleaned egr cooler and IM . temps this morning 60f car has 119k k mi now. Engine knocks again check engine is on. No OCC in my car. Didnt believe it will happen again so soon.no coolant missing. No oil burning. Car still gets 50mpg.
    I know you guys will critisize me for not having the OCC. I can only say that i secided to clean the bottom of the IM every 10k miles and soak the oil puddle out. So it was done like 3 times in past year.that was the preventive thung i decided to do.
    Noe im hoping its olnly a wet morning and some condensation inside IM.

#427 amos, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I cleaned our 2010’s egr circuit after about 50k miles and found it in similar condition to the first time I did it. Yours is probably filling back up too.

But the catch can will collect the light components. I’ve noticed further north that I’m getting a bit more material. So a good solution.

amos likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing that's been oft noted here: if you do something like start the car (cold) drive it just a few moments, and shut it down, and then it sits overnight., then start it up the next morn: that's when the knocking "tends to come knocking".

Something about that scenario triggers the knocking. That's actually the one time I've experienced it with ours; I do all I can to avoid that now. If, for example, I need to get the car from the garage to the street, I'll do it in little 10 second bursts, always shutting down before the engine starts. If I leave it too long and the engine does start, then I'll leave it idling a good while, ideally till it shuts itself down.

Seems like there's clues in that, wonder why that would be.

amos likes this.
  10. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was trying not turn off the engine while it was warming . waited about a minute maybe more. but knocks and vibrations didnt go. So i turned it off and restarted. The knocks are not there now. But check engine still there. Dont know the code yet. Busy day today.

11. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @
    @Raytheeagle i know we talked about it a lot from every aspect. Im just wondering again if the weakest link here the IM or the Egr cooler . both were cleaned.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The ports are tiny within the cooler and as they restrict, become less efficient.

While the ports in the intake manifold are larger, oil can begin to collect and do similar things.

But both sources can be weak points.

danlatu, amos and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    But 40K miles back? Maybe carbon build-up is rearing it's head again? You could remove just the EGR pipe and see it's condition, how carbonned up it it is.

Also, if no Oil Catch Can I'd think if you push open the throttle body blades and look through, you'll see the "lake" below there. The MAP sensor just on the side there gets really oil-soaked, maybe still functional though.

Maybe Oil Catch Can slows the carbon build-up, who knows.

danlatu and amos like this.
  14. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will do the cooler and IM again tomorow. I have a clean cooler ready .

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I do think we're starting to enjoy this stuff: watching @Ragingfit patiently running the chain through his hoist while the engine climbed outa the engine bay, I'm almost starting to look for an excuse to do it, lol.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Will you be a videographer as you go:whistle:?

You’ve got the time to make it happen(y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IF you've pulled the intake 3 times, WHY not install the OCC? It's pretty easy to do with the manifold off.
    And they are inexpensive. You also might have a bad pcv valve.

amos, danlatu and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A pic of my Morosso can (85474) connects with a (loosely) bolted slotted-angle clip to the lower cross beam, best accessed from below, say during oil changes. They're getting pricey though.

IMG_9468.JPG

If connecting a clip to the bottom beam, you want sort of rubber washers or gasket in the interface, so the beam can flex, say when using the front/center jack point. I used rubber washers in between the clip and the beam, and through bolts, with the first nut installed finger-tight, and then a second nut torqued against the first, acting as a lock nut.

If you drill holes through the top flange for bolts, it's JUST possible to sneak the bolts through existing voids in the bottom flange. Still, it's very awkward. If I was doing it again I might drill smaller holes for self-tapping screws. Again, with rubber in the interface, and not torqued-down completely.

#438 Mendel Leisk, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    danlatu likes this.
  19. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Didnt think it will happen again that fast. But yes next tome will change all valves there

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As the engine gets older, oil could also be entering the engine from the valve guide seals. The OCC is here to help trap the majority of oil/water/fuel to accumulate into the intake manifold. It is the steam that carries all of this oil/water/fuel into the IM. If someone can make an OCC that can trap all of the steam, then there wouldn't be any accumulation in the IM from the crankcase. A cleaner combustion chamber will also yield a cleaner EGR. Engine knock at startup does not mean you have a blown head gasket. It may just mean that you have incomplete combustion, too high of compression caused by having fluid (oil/water/fuel) in the IM is one example

There is a member here who has done 5k oci mobil 1 0w20 without any oil burning whatsoever. I do know the more frequently the oil is changed, the longer all the parts will last inside the engine. Short trips do not give the engine a chance to burn out all the water and fuel trapped in the oil. Cold weather operation introduces much more condensation and inside the engine. Cold engine startup tends to run rich on most cars and all this excessive fuel that is unburned slips past the rings and into the crankcase. When your oil life is at 7~10k miles into the oci, I do believe there is more water and fuel that breaks down the oils ability to protect engine components. I do not care what toyota says. Oil is cheaper than engines.

RMB, amos and Mendel Leisk like this.