1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought the 2012 Base today Mods anyone?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by crispytoast, Jan 26, 2013.

1. crispytoast

crispytoast New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Outrageous deal... 26570... After tax rebate, basically around 24k for Seaglass Blue PIP with 4 miles on it! Could not believe this deal. Lower price than used models with thousands of miles on them.

I was attempting hypermile driving on my 2009 touring, and the new model makes it so easy... got 62 mpg just driving back from Whole Foods (8 miles) using EV mode and watching the screen. It's about 16 degrees out, and in the 2009 I would have gotten about 34 MPG with the same light touch on the pedal. So far I'm interested in the following mods: Replace air filter, replace oil filter, upgrade spark plugs, install fog lights. I'm really interested in Exhaust and Cold air intake, but I'm taking my time researching, because I never want to lessen the mileage of the ride. The other "mod" I've been trying out is adding a little Tc-W3 oil (1 oz/5 gal). Any other performance mods/advice out there for the 2012 model? Thanks, VERY HAPPY with the new car, it rocks!

2. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats but don't waste a penny on ANY of the "mods" you mentioned, except the fog lights. Seriously leave it alone :)

crispytoast, mnml and JMD like this.
  3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, not sure I would do any of the mods except for the fog lights. Why would you use Tc-W3 oil? BTW, congrats on your new PIP!

crispytoast likes this.
  4. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No offense dude, but don't assume you know better than the Toyota engineers that have been developing the Prius for over a decade. Just drive it and enjoy it :)

crispytoast and JMD like this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ITA, after the foglights do practical things like the FIAMM horn upgrade, disable reverse beeping, etc.

6. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ditto, what does two-stroke oil do to your high tech engine? Remember your warranty??

7. crispytoast

crispytoast New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride! Great deal.

9. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just recall why I buy new cars

southernguy likes this.
  10. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There goes the 62MPG

11. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Question does that apply for those Boeing engineers too and the dreamliner fire...??Nothin ventured nothin lost

12. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These mods are do able. First mod I did is swap out all the incandescent bulbs in vehicle for LED , superbright LED website is where I purchase all of my LED(you find on ebay too,plus you may need a flasher relay specific for LED. The other mod is more for winter driving and that would be a modified grille block and engine block heater(toyota only)

13. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    26,750? Wow, that's cheap. Congrats!

14. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats Crispy!

I'd think twice about putting 2-stroke outboard oil in your gas... it may damage the catalytic converter and rings, valves, etc...
    Back in the day (mid 80's) when I worked in an Johnson Outboard dealership- we sometimes used (free to us mechanics) leftover 50:1 gas in our cars. One mechanic with a brand new Ford F150 pickup clogged his converter after just 20k miles. Although we had no real proof- we concluded that it was due to burning 2-stroke oil with his gas. After an $800 (out of warranty) bill for a replacement converter- he never ran 2-stroke oil in his gas again.
    Anyone with a 2-stroke outboard can tell you what their plugs look like after just one season of running with gas/oil mix. In outboards, burning oil with the gas also builds carbon deposits on the heads and rings. Ring failure due to carbon deposits is a major source of blown engines in 2-stroke outboards.
    I can't see any positive result of burning 2-stroke oil in the finely tuned Prius engine, but can think of many reasons not to do it...

15. crispytoast

crispytoast New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So a periodic flush with Techron is probably good enough then.

16. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does Techron remove carbon buildup- or is for fuel system components before ignition?
    We use engine cleaner/decarbonizer specifically designed for 2-stroke applications where carbon buildup results from burning oil mixed with the gas..
    # 775629 Carbon Guard OMC 12 oz.