1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake actuator replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 05silver, Aug 20, 2020.

1. 05silver

05silver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know if there is an instruction on how to replace brake actuator on 2012 Plug-in?
    I found one for 2008 and wondering if that should be enough to follow.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh no!!!! :eek: no warranty? how many miles?

check @NutzAboutBolts youtube channel, not sure.

there ight be threads here, but idk

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Because of the difference in generations, finding any procedure from 2010 through 2015 would be a better bet than trying to follow 2008.

Also, 2008 had an all-singing, all-dancing actuator assembly with the accumulator and pump built in. A gen 3 has an actuator assembly that is separate from the accumulator/pump assembly, which gives you more incentive to pin down exactly which of those is really what you need.

4. 05silver

05silver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your reply.
    I agree with your suggestion but could not find one. That is why I asked if anyone has seen it.

You mentioned the difference between Gen2 and Gen3 parts, but they look same (to me at least) with only one digit difference in part number.
    47070-47050 for Gen2 and 47070-47060 for Gen3.
    Am I looking at this all wrong???

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any mystery about how to find the repair manual ought to be cleared up here.

I am not sure where you are getting your numbers. You don't have a Gen 2 in there at all. You have two different numbers for a Gen 3 part, and it's the accumulator ("booster pump"), not the actuator ("booster / master cylinder").

The Gen 3 parts (plural) look like this:

[​IMG]

Because they are sold as two different assemblies, you kind of need to know which one is shot before pulling your wallet out.

The Gen 2 part looks like this:

[​IMG]

As you can see, because the Gen 2 has the actuator, accumulator, and pump glommed together in one unit, it's less critical to pin down which of those you need before replacement.

6. 05silver

05silver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    That number is from Toyota. Based on pictures of the part (like the one in your post above) i have seen so far, that number is on it.

so, this is the one from a dealer near me, and to me it looks very similar (not same).....
    upload_2020-8-21_12-50-30.png

7. 05silver

05silver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I now see what you are saying.
    Parts for Gen2 and Gen3 are different.
    Thank you!

I guess I really have to find an instruction for Gen3.
    Anyone???

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    techinfo.toyota.com

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The unfortunate choice of two words that are so similar in English, 'accumulator' and 'actuator', has spawned no end of confusion, and even Toyota dealers are not immune. Maybe the Japanese words were easier to tell apart.

That part number you have and photo you posted are of the accumulator assembly, not the actuator, no matter how many web listings you find giving the wrong name for it, even from Toyota dealers. It is also known as the booster pump assembly, and it's the lower of the two line drawings in #5.

The actuator is also known as the "booster assembly" (great, another source of confusion, the only difference between the two names is the word 'pump'), and it is the upper of those two line drawings.

10. 05silver

05silver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Update (sort of):
    After learning the correct terminology (thanks to ChapmanF), I started searching for repair (replace) instruction for Booster Pump or Accumulator assembly.
    I have not seen one yet, but while searching, I ran into an information that there is an extended warranty for this particular part.
    So, I'd like to ask a few questions before taking any action.

I think I am still under that extended warranty period, but the way I understood it, there has to be certain codes (accompanying lights?) to get this repair done under this warranty. Even if they agree this part is defective, they will not do it under this warranty.
    Did I understand this correctly?

My 2012 Plug-In has over 160k miles on it, but there are no lights, and because of that, I did not bother to scan for any code.
    Is it possible to have codes without lights coming on?

I guess question would be "Why, then, do you want to replace booster or booster pump?"
    I have been hearing noises while braking. It is not just while braking; the noise continues after a complete stop.
    While searching for a clue, I ran into a person (Gen2 owner) posted description of his issue with an audio which is exactly same as what I am experiencing.
    He ended up repairing his car at a dealer and it was the Actuator. That was the reason why I was looking for a repair instruction for Actuator.

Out of curiosity, what will most likely happen if booster / booster pump stops working?
    Will I be able to stop the car if that happens?
    Will any warning lights come on before that happens?

I am wondering if it is ok to wait until any warning lights to come on before repairing it, hoping it happens before this extended warranty expires.

I may sound like an idiot compromising the safety over $. :)
    I just want to gather some information to make the best choice.

Your input will be greatly appreciated!

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    search around here for pertinent threads. i found one: TOYOTA BRAKE BOOSTER PUMP CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED BY MEMBER @Inquisitor

you can also google: california toyota dealer refuses to sell used prius taken in trade, sues toyota motor corp.

irc, some have said changing the brake fluid might help

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Since that person was a Gen 2 owner, there wasn't much choice: the Gen 2 'actuator' includes the accumulator and pump.

As you have a Gen 3, you face an additional question that the Gen 2 owner did not: do you need the accumulator/pump (one assembly), or do you need the actuator (the other assembly)? You see why the Gen 2 owner's post doesn't help you there. And both parts are kind of pricey, and both parts are kind of a pain to replace, so if one of them has a problem, you've got a strong incentive to figure out which one.

To make it that much more of a challenge, either one can go bad in ways that would give you similar symptoms.

I don't remember that you've described yet the exact sound you're hearing. If it is a frequent pumping sound, the cause can be either in the accumulator/pump assembly, or in the actuator assembly. In case I am guessing about the sound you hear, it would help if you could describe it better.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There is a service bulletin style instruction by Toyota, is that for the part OP needs to replace? I believe it's for the accumulator?

14. 05silver

05silver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Due to my English skill (lack of), it would be near impossible to describe the noise with words.
    Luckily, as i mentioned before, there is a Gen2 owner who has the audio of it.

Strange noise when stopped and foot on brake | PriusChat

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try changing the brake fluid

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are two sounds in that video. The kind of irregular quacking/honking sound that is heard throughout the eight seconds would be valves inside the actuator that are needing to repeatedly open and admit more pressurized brake fluid, because pressure is not being held (some one of the release valves may not be closing completely, so pressure is bleeding off, which the computer notices and has to keep wiggling one of the hold valves to admit more fluid and keep the pressure up).

In the last few seconds of the video, there is another sound, more like an urbane and polished rattlesnake. That is the sound of the electric pump having to run to replenish the pressurized fluid in the accumulator, because the actuator has been using it up that whole time.

If your sounds really are exactly like in that video, that pump sounded pretty good really. It's the valves in the actuator that are probably shot.

Because that video was Gen 2, they replaced the pump too because it's all one assembly in Gen 2. For a Gen 3, if that's really what it's doing, I would be tempted to leave the pump/accumulator assembly alone and replace the actuator.

Using the data list in Techstream, you would probably be able to catch what it's doing on screen.

Yea Right likes this.
  17. 05silver

05silver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your suggestion.
    To make sure if I understand correctly, you are suggesting the culprit is (might be) the Brake Booster Assembly?
    This one?
    upload_2020-8-28_10-27-39.png

If I replace this, I will have to bleed the fluid, correct?
    I guess I have to make a decision on whether to follow bisco's suggestion on replacing the fluid and see if that does it or go straight to replacing booster assembly....

Either way, thank you all for making suggestions!

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm pretty sure you would need to use the techstream method of bleeding. You'd need to acquire a bootleg copy and install on a laptop, preferably with older windows OS installed? @ChapmanF can explain better. I can post Repair Manual excerpt in a bit.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, that assembly.

There might be a possibility that having changed the brake fluid earlier could have postponed this day. I'm not sure I would bet much that changing it now would turn back time.

If you could reach the stars, though....

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring