1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake booster noise, please help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mjgonsow, Nov 20, 2020.

1. mjgonsow

mjgonsow New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2013 Prius that I've owned for several years now and just recently I can hear the brake booster noise MUCH more frequently than before. If I'm just sitting somewhere or driving w/cruise on it goes off every minute or so and much more frequently if I'm braking.
    Here is a link I found of another Prius making the exact same noise, you can hear it VERY clear at 2:43 and 2:54:

Is this something I just need to get use to, or is something about to fail? It gets annoying fast

Thank you ahead of time for any help!
    Mark

2. mjgonsow

mjgonsow New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It doesn't sound very good to me. Normally the pump runs to pressurize brake fluid and stores it in an accumalator. The brake computer uses that stored fluid to actually make the brakes apply by directing it to the calipers at each wheel. It is normal for that high pressure fluid to seep some internally just sitting there so the pump has to run now and then to build pressure up- more so when you use the brakes.
    The thing is on my Gen2 I can only hear the pump run when I first ready up the car. Otherwise when I am driving I don't notice it at all. I don't know if your pump cycle time is correct or if it indicates a problem. The fact that the operation of your braking system has changed would make me suggest that you at least have it checked out by someone who is familiar with the Prius.
    Often, a noisy pump IS an indicator of a failing actuator, but some people have had that for months (or years) .

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.