1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake caliper slide pins

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Weasle543, May 4, 2018.

1. Weasle543

Weasle543 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    While rotating the tires last weekend I noticed a groove in the left front rotor, so I removed the brake caliper to inspect for foreign object stuck around the outer pad. Didn't find anything stuck that would have caused the groove on the rotor, but the caliper slide pins wouldn't move by hand. I removed the slide pins to inspect them, they were in perfect condition but had very little lube on them.

Found the other 3 about the same. The rears were a little better but still very little lube.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You removed the caliper, and then:

Between the first and second sentence above, I'd surmise they must have had a little movement, since you managed to pull them out. Did you add lube, and what was it? I'd suggest Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant, just because it's readily available, and widely used for caliper pins.

A couple of cautions:

1. Did you disconnect the battery negative cable before removing calipers? There's a couple of bad things that can happen if you don't. First, if you happen to open the driver's door, the brakes will more 'n likely start a pressurizing thing, that could pop a caliper piston out. Secondly, the car can throw a code if it detects excess brake pedal travel. I'm not sure if it would do this with the car off, but rather than find out the hard way, I always figure it's good to give the car a "general anesthetic", prior to doing brake work, and only hook up the battery when everything is done.

2. I'm not sure about fourth gen parking brake mechanism, but if it's similar to third gen, it is imperative that the rear brake caliper piston be oriented like a letter "X" when reassembled, and firmly seated against the brake pad back (do multiple brake pedal pushes to ensure this), then maybe a short test drive, then (and only then) a few applications and releases of the parking brake, and then (just for good measure): raise the rear of the car and verify the wheels are spinning fairly freely.

3. Weasle543

Weasle543 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Typing on my phone so I was trying to be brief.

I used a wrench to turn them back and forth then was able to pull them out by hand.

The battery was not disconnected. The car was powered off and on jack stands. I did one caliper at a time. The brake lines were not disconnected. I only removed the rear caliper bolts and moved the caliper enough to verify the slide pins moved easily, so I didn't disconnect the parking brake cable. The rear inner pads have a pin on them that fits into the slots on the piston, and yes it was aligned before I resecured the rear calipers.

Used permatex synthetic brake caliper lube.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah just don't open drivers door. (y)