1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brakes - the good the bad the ugly

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vvillovv, Oct 13, 2020.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks Chap , I've been watching traction pack temps and internal resistance with DrPrius and I can see over the last 2 years a few changes on the DrPrius dashboard, but nothing to really post / bost about. Like bank 2 of the pack is always the lowest, even though cell difference is still only .01 volts and I've only seen it go to .02 once for a minute or two. And voltage after a full charge now goes up 1 volt higher than last year, but drops back down to 374.+ again within a minute or two after the charge session if finished.
    I can still hear pads rubbing on the rotor(s) at very slow speed, under around 7mph, before road noise drowns out the sound. I expected some of it due to my knocking down the rotor ridges and not checking runout during reassembly. I'll get at those things. possible this weekend or next. And hopefully my parts source will have a set of rear rotors available so I can get ready to tackle them soon too.

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I dug deeper into the rear brakes last weekend, not much to report. I found and extra outer shim on one of the outer pads. Not visible until removing the shims and even after removing the shims it's not really easy to see the two outer shims sandwiched together. Scratched my head a bit as I tried to figure out where the extra shim was supposed to go, and finishing up again - after sunset, in the dark, mounting the tires using a flashlight ...
    edit: the rear slide pins were greased with a yellow colored grease, that still showed up at the bottom tips of the pins. The rest of the grease on the pins was black (probably because of the pin bushings), but the pins were still very easily moved by hand, so I left them as is and reassembled.

#42 vvillovv, Nov 9, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  3. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I used Autozone Duralast slide pins and their brake hardware kit. It was all good stuff and the rubber boots and bushings for the pins were included.

A few of my original slide pins has seized up and the grease had turned black and was deteriorated. I lubed the new ones with white lithium grease. No problems since.

I still have the original rotors on the front with 163k miles. Replaced the rear rotors.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe not a good idea. Toyota Repair Manual recommends "lithium soap base glycol grease". @ChapmanF will maybe chime in with concise name (and part no?) of the tube you can buy from dealerships, or online.

I'm using, for many years now, on various cars: Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/is-white-lithium-grease-ok-for-caliper-slide-pins.83608/

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/sil-glide-grease-for-sliding-pins-pad-ears-etc.339893/

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, Toyota calls for a grease where the oil base is a glycol and the thickener is a lithium soap. The concise name for the stuff is "rubber grease". You can see the part number on the tube.

[​IMG]

You never need to buy a tube if you buy your rubber kits from Toyota, because those come with a little packet of the right stuff.

That said, Toyota surely specifies the grease for compatibility with their known rubber formula. If you bought aftermarket pins and aftermarket rubber to go with them, then it might be more important to follow that vendor's recommendation on grease. And it's pretty much always recommended not to let different grease types mix. so it may not be worth changing your mind about the grease at this point, unless you're going to thoroughly clean the pins and the bores of all traces of grease A before adding grease B.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nice pic Chap :) a pic is worth a thousand words, so the saying goes.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not my pic, to be fair; I've just been shamelessly linking to it for a few years in a post somebody else originally made.

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It works however you look at it. I thought Rubber Grease was a new name. I've seen it advertised under a few names in the past couple years. But last time a looked when I actually ordered it, the name was Rubber Grease everywhere I say it.
    I wonder what it'll be called next time I look at parts.....