1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bridgestone Ecopia Tires REPLACED After 25K Miles!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MrGuardia, Oct 8, 2014.

1. MrGuardia

MrGuardia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just left the dealer and got my factory Bridgestone Ecopia tires replaced on my 2010 Gen 3. The thread on all 4 tires was nearly all gone after only 25K miles! Got some Goodyear Intgrity tires this time around - let's see how they fair. Hopefully my MPG can go up as I was only getting about 42/43 MPG with the Ecopias.

How have your factory tires performed?

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm at 53k miles on my EP20's on my 2012. With any luck, I will get another two years out of them for a total of 4 years likes you. The only difference will be that drive more highway speeds and will have some 100k miles on them.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The "Integrity" tires have very soft sidewalls and tend to scrub their tread in turns. Make a point of running the PSI at 42(front)/40(rear) to try to get more than 25k out of them. You should go through the various tire subject discussions. There are much better tires available for your Prius. I use Nokian WRg2 tires (current model is WRg3) with great results (ride, 50k life, good MPG and great bad weather traction.

JeffD

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the integrity's will be similar to the ecopia's. do you drive your car hard and put her up wet?

5. MrGuardia

MrGuardia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the info but I already pulled the trigger. Should have done more research I guess...

I don't drive my car hard at all - more like an old lady really lol. Most of my miles are city, don't get on highway too often.

6. MrGuardia

MrGuardia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    FYI: I paid $506 out the door for the 4 tires at my local dealership.

They had the buy 3 get 4th free deal going. They each came out to $106 plus all the fees and taxes. And they supposedly include lifetime hazard and rotation/balancing.

7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's the eco-premium that everyone expects to pay, because environmental responsibility is easy to charge extra for.

8. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got 47k out of my factory Bridgestone Ecopias.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you get an alignment with the new tyres? might have been part of the problem.

10. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm on 32000 km with our 'vagon' and the sidewalls are rotten. I've been running 38/36 psi OEM bridgestone turanza 's

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL,
    Ecopia is the best OEM tire I ever had. lasted almost 40,000 miles with mostly city driving. Too bad I replaced them with Continental tires and I hate them now.
    I had Goodyear Integrity OEM tires in Corolla and they were the worst OEM tire I ever had. Sliding on dry asphalt. I couldn't wait to replace them under 30,000 miles.

12. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    OP: What pressure did you run in your OE tires?

Totally anecdotal observation by me: hyper milers run 7 -10 PSI more than door jam sticker usually get many more miles than those who stick with manufacturer recommendations.

Personally, I have never seen running higher PSI causing the middle of the tire to wear out more than the outside. I have been told (not by tire engineers) that it is a old wife's tale stemmed from the bias tire days and do not apply to the radials everyone has today.

13. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Just curious. What Continental tires do you have? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Pure Contact tires from Continental since Direct Tire on eBay is running a sale $100 off $400. Reviews on Tire Rack was pretty

14. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do not buy PureContacts. I bought them on the same Direct Tire on eBay $100 off $400 promotion (and $70 rebate on top of it) and will lose hundreds of $ on lost fuel efficiency over the life of tires.
    Read more:
    Continental "ecoplus" is pure BS | PriusChat
    Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List | Page 53 | PriusChat

#14 Former Member 68813, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  15. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With winter around the corner, I priced out some good winter tires at Goodyear, and I was surprised to find that the Toyota dealer had a much better price, for Michelins no less. They also store my summer tires for a small price, so it looks like my tire shop has lost a loyal customer this year.

My biggest worry is how the lower ground clearance of the Prius will affect my mobility in deep snow. After all, we haven't had a mild winter around here since the 90s.