1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken-hearted: Lost my Prius Prime Opportunity

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by AngelaHeartsPriusPrime, Jan 9, 2019.

1. AngelaHeartsPriusPrime

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m probably unique in this Forum. Though I’m a smart woman, I’ve made a horrendous mistake that I will have to live with for years to come. I hope my story helps others NOT DO what I did.

I have researched and loved the Prius Prime Advanced for months in anticipation of having to return my VW TDI Diesel Sportswagen back to the dealership due to the emissions fraud (VW Buy-Back program).

I ordered my new Hypersonic Red Prime Advanced and was going to name it “Christmas.” I was super excited. The car was driven from another dealership, but the back was scratched and the paint chipped in several places. I told the dealership I couldn’t take it that way. They decided to repaint it. It did not resonate with me, but they said it had happened before with other new cars. Tragically, their paint shop painted it orange instead of red (it looked awful). Hard to believe, but true.

The sales manager pitched a fit. He said the car was jinxed and that he wouldn’t sell it to me anymore. That he was done with the car. He was also angry at me for not having accepted the car originally as it arrived (which no Buyer would have liked. Even he said he wouldn’t buy the car the way it had arrived). He didn’t want to order another one because he said I wouldn’t like it. That I would find fault with it. It was his own cop out and anger speaking because his decision to paint the car had backfired. He behaved so immaturely and was the main influencer in my decision, albeit erroneously so.

Simultaneously, I had been reading in other forums that people were having lots of problems with their Primes. I started to get scared. I had also been praying that if this car wasn’t for me, that God would stop the sale. I also didn’t have a vehicle anymore and was driving a rental since the buy-Back to VW. There were other high-pressure, extenuating circumstances I was facing that also felt affected the situation. Christmas was also in full swing & these holidays were challenging for me. Everything converged and I felt utterly stressed and alone in that dealership.

I panicked so much that I decided change cars and buy a non-Hybrid—the 2019 Corolla Hatchback XSE instead (top trim). I accessorized it really well so I would like it even better and purchased it. Many people in the dealership liked it better than the Prius too. The car drives decently, but I’m not liking at all, not because there’s anything wrong with it. All I can think of is the Prius that I let slip through my fingers.

I came home resigned to my fate, but have felt depressed & terribly regretful ever since. Regret is such a horrid emotion. I realize I had made a HUGE mistake. Beyond H-U-G-E. I really yearn for the Prius Prime I had researched and fallen in love with so badly.

I returned to the dealership with the Corolla with only 220 miles on it (it already had 120 miles when I bought it since they found it in NJ and I live in Connecticut). Of course, the dealership didn’t care much anymore. I paid ~35K for my loaded Corolla, put a downpayment of $6,250, but the dealership only offered me 23K for the Trade. I would have a financial waste in my hands if I tried to buy the Prius at this point. I just can’t stretch my money that far, especially as a single, middle aged woman. The loss would be about 12K at least. My available cash is gone and I couldn’t be more broken-hearted than I am right now. It sounds so silly, but it feels as if someone dear has died.

Sadly, I’m stuck with the Corolla Hatch for at least 2-3 years until I’ve paid at least half of it, and then hopefully get my Prius Prime then. At least this is what someone in the dealership’s service department told me. I am beyond depressed and can’t seem to be able to smile. I really wanted that car more than I can express. My heart is sickened by what I did and how fearful I became that the Prius was “jinxed” and wasn’t the car God preferred for me. I have a strong conviction that the Lord is in every detail of our lives, and that He does care about what car we drive. The devil is not in the details—but God certainly is.

I’m a strong business woman in a major company who succumbed to an unusual fear and insecurity that temporarily gripped me. I over-analyzed things, and now I’m paying dearly for my mistake.

The extraordinary lesson I’ve learned is to fight for any car one loves—whether it makes logical sense or not, and to trust one’s original instincts above all. Go for the one your heart yearns for uncompromisingly! Stand by that car if you love it. That’s all that matters on a daily basis when it comes to driving a vehicle you’re financing.

Let me add that I always do this and follow my own advice—I’m a very strong woman, I have always been true to pursue what I love, but this time was a rare exception that has surprised me greatly. The convergence of a lot of stress and fear that I wasn’t making the right decision, the dealership shaming me for not liking the car, the doubt that the Prius was outside of God’s preferred car for me, thrusted me into a dark abyss of confusion that resulted with me having missed out on my Prius Prime perhaps for the rest of my life. I’m not a young gal anymore, and I may never get to own my dream car. I’ve learned a lot through this, but it doesn’t make it any easier.

If there are Christians in this Forum, hopefully you’ll understand why I didn’t feel God’s Peace at the moment I had to make that final choice. I let confusion grip me. If you aren’t, I only ask that you withhold judging me.

Thanks for reading this. Please, no hate mail. I’m feeling bad enough as it is. LOVE your Prius Primes with all their awesomeness, flaws and foibles. Some of us may never get to own one (said she teary-eyed). If your Prime gives you problems, consider yourselves to be so fortunate to be part of the generation of early adopters of the future and the best piece of technology any car manufacturer has ever deleloped. I’m an aviation engineer and can tell you that the Prius Prime is the sweetest plug-in Hybrid out there! Bar none!

God bless you and your Prius Primes. Maybe one day, I’ll share in your joy of owning one too.

(If anyone has suggestions for what is the soonest I can trade vehicles and get the Prime, please let me know—thx).

- Angela

jaqueh likes this.
  2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bummer.
    My Prime Advanced fell off the delivery truck while it was being offloaded at the dealership.
    At least that's what I was told. Unlike your situation my dealer ordered another identical
    Prime and I like it very much. This was back in the May->August time frame.
    Best of luck moving forward.
    J
    Does this hood look misaligned? | PriusChat

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Angela,

There's a saying in Canoe-U which goes like this:
    "Never look back unless you want to GO that way!"

I cannot comment on how a $35,000 Corolla will fit into your life except to say that I would probably concentrate on paying it off and then driving it until some external force (age, wreck, etc) forces a change.
    Just remember that over analysis is just as bad no matter which end of life's telescope you're looking at a situation from....with the exception that in the case of a car purchase, there's really nothing that you can do about it, except to keep the car in really good mechanical shape and gift it to a family member when it's 20 years old or donate it to a charity.
    ANYTHING else is just debt swapping, ballast arrangement, arithmetic gymnastics, or whatever else you call justifying dumping more or less money into the "transportation" slot in your budget.

Other than that?
    Welcome to 2019!!

Happy New Year.
    I hope that when 2020 rolls around this is still one of the bigger problems in your life!!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you're letting your emotions control your life. you made a smart move with the prime, you certainly could have shopped another one.
    a 35k corolla is going to be around for a long time. there is no reason to 'love' an inanimate object.
    teach yourself to enjoy the corolla. it is a reliable way of getting from point a to point b.

i hope you don't make business decisions like this. we all make mistakes. learn and move on.
    all the best.(y)

5. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    $35K for a Corolla?? That's Clarity BEFORE incentives.

bresna and bisco like this.
  6. Hayman66

Hayman66 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry that happened to you. Just remember, everything happens in Gods timing. It sounds like he didn't want you to have THAT Prime. That doesn't mean you might not have a Prime in the future. There is power in prayer! :)

7. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You made a mistake, but that's not the end of the world.

Let's do the math and correct that mistake:

New Prius Prime Advanced $35,000.00
    Toyota rebate (NY,NJ) -$5,000.00
    Dealer discount -$3,000.00
    Fed tax credit -$4,500.00
    Trade in -$23,000.00
    Sales tax (on differences between trade in and sales price) $500.00
    Title,registration and dealer fees $800.00
    Life time fuel saving ($1 / 60 miles) x 200,000 miles -$3,333.00
    Brake saving (change all brake pads 3 times) -$400.00
    Total : -$2,933.00 (money back to your pocket)

Of course, I'm not sure which state are you in and whether the sales tax calculation is accurate or not. But roughly I think you can get back $3K, or worse case, breaking even, by trading in your corolla and get your loved Prius Prime. Don't forget, the insurance of a Prius Prime is lower than Corolla, so there will be additional savings.

I was in a similar situation (not as bad as you are). I owned a Prius since 2007 with over 230K miles, still with the original brake pads. Then I sold it and purchased a corolla XE with package, out the door price was around 22K. After a few months, I figured I really want the Prime, so I do the math traded in my corolla for only $13K and got my Prius Premium. I'm super happy with my decision and it worth it, for the life time of the Prime.

Be clear of what you want. Go for it. Trust me, do the math. There is a lots of hidden benefit financially that should be included in your consideration:
    1. Fuel saving (I said $1 per 60 miles, with 200K miles, but it could be more if you have free charging or oil goes higher)
    2. Brake replacement: my old 2007 prius has 235K but still with the original brake pads, last tire rotation shown it still has over 50% left
    3. Insurance saving

There are other non-financial benefits too: Quiet ride, being green, HUD, and most important, get what you love.

I very sure you will feel a lot better if you switch for a Prime now and it won't cost you a dime. Why wait?

Try this to see if they can offer you a good deal:
    New 2018-2019 Toyota Models | Warwick, RI | Balise Toyota of Warwick

#7 citiprius, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    bobzchemist likes this.
  8. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You were right to reject the first Prime.
    You were wrong to let the dealership employee bully you. You should have requested a meeting with the general manager, his boss.
    There are few problems with the Primes. Ours has been flawless. (There are a couple of things I wish Toyota had designed differently, but all work as designed.)
    Once a car has been titled it is now a used car. It doesn't, can't, have a value near a new (never-titled) car.

Enjoy your Corolla. You bought a good car. Wait for the next generation of the Prime---it'll be even better.

9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Your love of the Prime was based mostly on emotion.
    Your disappointment in not getting it is based entirely on emotion.

You need to GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON.

Many people might feel that you made the right choice.......based mostly on non-emotional factors.

Please don't dwell on this. It will eat you up.......for no good reason.

Tande likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, what a sad Love story.

I'm sorry about your missed opportunity, but I am sure you will have another one very soon. Corolla holds resale value very well, in a few years, I am sure your Corolla is going to be worth more than same year Prime. Heck, if it makes you feel better, I would not mind trading my PRIME with your 2019 Corolla Hatchback XSE. It must be a beauty, although it is hard to believe you could load it up to make the final price of $35K. With Toyota site even FULLY LOADED will ALL OPTIONS and ACCESSORIES, 2019 Corolla Hatchback XSE final MSRP could not go over $30K.o_O
    Build Your Own Toyota | Toyota Configurator
    Maybe the figure is with tax, fee, and financing cost included. In any case, it is now yours to enjoy. Cheer up!

#10 Salamander_King, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  11. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    BTW, do you have the pictures of the Orange Prius Prime? I really wanted to see how it looks :p

Salamander_King likes this.
  12. bamike

bamike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Stop making payments on the car and let them repo it. You’ll be out your down payment but that’s it. 35k is a huge ripoff, this is why women need to be very careful around car dealerships and car mechanics, and any other shady professions like real estate agents, financial advisors, insurance salesmen, lawyers.

Remember, anyone who is paid on commission is a liar, a thief and a crook. Especially in America where there is no sense of personal honor or shame. This post should be a sticky as a warning to all car buyers.

Tande likes this.
  13. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I am really glad to see that you aren't prone to making sexist remarks. :eek:
    (n)

jaqueh likes this.
  14. bamike

bamike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am pointing out that these dealerships deliberately target women, particularly single women for scams such as what she described. It has nothing to do with sexism, it has to do with scamming what is perceived to be a naive customer.

Tande, padroo and jmarkd7 like this.
  15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, losing the down payment may not be the only thing. Her credit will be ruined, which will affect her ability to take another loan to purchase next car. Her insurance rate may go up, her rent may go up. Heck, she may find harder to get a new job. I would not recommend defaulting on a car loan.

16. JasonG

JasonG Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Am I missing something or is the retail price of the Corolla XSE only about $23,000 from the Toyota website? How on earth did you pay $35,000??

17. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I find this post difficult to believe.

bresna and jmarkd7 like this.
  18. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't know guys, i think we might have been hornswoggled here

MikeDee and jmarkd7 like this.
  20. Viperman92

Viperman92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AngelaHeartsPP, would you be willing to post up a picture of the vehicles sales worksheet? I want to see the charges for your Corolla. I have to agree with citiprius, the math will set you free. I have vehicle opex sheets that I monitor for my "fleet" of cars that I own. You wouldn't believe how many people are shocked when I show them how much money they waste on their car choices.

Also, get your trade valued by Carvana, sometimes they will pay top dollar for trades and/or to sell the vehicle outright. This could help you get out of the Corolla and into a Prime.

Arctic_White and bobzchemist like this.