1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bug removal tips

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by actiondonkey, Oct 8, 2012.

1. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Can anyone offer tips for removing the dried bug guts from the front of my black C? My trip down Route66 didn't afford opportunities for touchless car washes and some bugs got baked onto the hood/bumper. I've tried all the OTC bug removal and even wd40 with no luck on the tougher ones. These bugs have to come out before polishing and waxing for winter. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. radmangto

radmangto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... here in Fla we have those pesky Love Bugs ... if left on to bake in the sun for more than 48 hrs, their acidic innards will begin to pit the clear coat. Many times I have to resort to a good clay bar to remove the dried remains ... if a clay bar doesn't get them off, well, do not know ....
    Regards,
    Radman

3. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Yep, FL here too, and I know what you mean. Those drives up 75 or across 10 at night are just killer on paint. I wanted to get those bugs off before my clay/polish/wax routine so I don't risk spoiling my clay. It's like they've become part of my paint; actually black but raised and textured.

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What I do is:

Spray car wash to get of what you can. Take it home, get a bucket of hot water and some hand towels. Put the hot, wet towels over the bug residue. Rotate out the cold towels with new towels. Rub off the bugs gently.

Repeat as required.

5. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Certain car shampoos like Prima Mystique or P21S always work well when paired with a fluffy microfiber or chenille mitt. If you have mega giga bugs, then Stoner Tarminator is a surefire way to melt off the bugs, but it also strips whatever wax is on your paint.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not know what's worse, white or black?
    Anyways I just debugged, here is what I did:
    This past Sunday was miserable 45F rainy day in the Northeast.
    I drove from Pittsburgh to Wash DC in the rain 5 hrs.
    When I got home, I hit the wetted bugs with Windex and this helped get most off (with a rag).
    Any remaining black spots, I assumed was a scratch and I painted over with White touch-up paint.

7. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ammonia, scratchy rags, and touch-up paint to cover up remaining bugs? This can't possibly be serious, so it must be a list of what not to do.

Chris R likes this.
  8. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This is the simplest way to remove bugs. I have a garage full of stuff that was supposed to remove bugs, none of it was worth a dip. Dryer sheets dipped in warm water. Bugs wipe right off. Cold water will work if you are in a hurry. But, warm is faster and easier.
    This tip was shared with me some 6 years ago. I did not believe it. Figured the dryer sheets might scratch my truck, so I tried it on my wife's car. She had 3 year old dead bugs from Arizona on her car. They wiped right off and no scratches. Been using it ever since. Can clean entire front of my motor coach in 5 minutes or less. Have shared this with many motorhome and car clubs. Everyone is skeptical but happy with results. Get the cheap dryer sheets from Dollar Store or Walmart. No sense in wasting money, they all work. You will need to rinse the residue from the vehicle. Works on plastic motorcycle windshields too. I use them to clean anything with bugs caked on.
    You will be hesitant but I bet several of you come back here to thank me.
    Dan

9. ChinchillaGirl

ChinchillaGirl OrcaCar

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

This is a wonderful tip (used dryer sheets also work on glass shower enclosures!) but WHEN are we going to get nose masks/car bras like the rest of the world?!? Really, even the silly-looking Mini gets several styles to choose from!

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...key point was use a rainy day to loosen bugs...my car looks OK for an 2006

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is a very useful thread, thanks everyone!

12. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's because the MINI is popular and their owners drop big dollars on accessorizing their car. No need to call it names; it's not like our Prius C is a hallmark of design. Also, if you want a solution that doesn't scratch the paint from flapping about in the wind, get a quality clear-bra/invisisheild installed instead.

13. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I got the problem fixed, and I recommend everyone to try this product. It's called B.E.S.T. bug remover. Found it on amazon for $29.95. It got EVERYTHING off with just a spray and a wipe. Bugs that had been baking in the FL sun since April came off no problem - and no damage to the paint. It's just an incredible product and I still can't believe it worked so well.

14. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  15. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Duplicate post deleted.

16. Smellynachos

Smellynachos New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    Spit.....believe it or not spit takes off bugs. Was really mad that I couldn't get a couple bugs off my bumper, I spit on it and wiped and came right off......"spit-shine"

17. cyeremian

cyeremian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm going to try the dryer sheets. That's way too cool. I'll report my findings....(y)

18. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Your findings will be positive. I could not believe it when I was told this. Works like a champ. I can clean my entire motorhome frontend in 5 minutes now.
    dan

cyeremian likes this.