1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bumpy ride?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Eco-Boi, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Eco-Boi

Eco-Boi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my Prius just a month ago and I have taken it into the dealership twice since. I feel little vibrations in the steering wheel and in the car. I had the wheels balanced the first time, and balanced the second time. The guy told me that the Prius 2 is a slightly bumpy ride. Is this normal? I just want to make sure my car is okay and I don't damage it by driving it with something going on. I don't know a whole lot about the mechanics of cars, especially Hybrids. He was telling me the Prius has harder more compact tires for fuel economy, is this true? Is the bumpiness normal? I won't mind, but I just want to make sure it isn't a problem or damage they aren't telling me about! Thanks

2. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Just read your other thread... seems like everything is vibrating and bumping. Unless you switched from a high end luxury sedan with pillow cushion suspensions, and you are super sensitive to slight changes in vibrations then I would bring it back to the dealer for 3 times... if problems persist then tell them they need to replace this lemon.

3. Eco-Boi

Eco-Boi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On the contrary! Haha i just switched from a 2012 Honda Fit. So I know what "bumpy" feels like. I will test the car one more time tomorrow on the highway. If there is "bumpiness" or vibrations I will be driving back and demanding something other than rebalancing. They keep rebalancing the tires. They drove it 15 miles today to "see the problems" I told them about. They supposedly saw the problem. I swear to God if I have to go back in one more time I'll be so mad. I really love this car already but want to treat it right. I guess if I really have to I would use the Lemon Law.

4. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This might be totally unrelated. I replaced the factory 15" wheels and tires on my Prius within one week of ownership. I liked the Prius 5, 17" wheels and purchased a used set. Honestly, I didn't notice any difference. I recently upped the air pressure in the tires like many here do. That made a huge difference with a harsher ride. Fuel mileage is great and I'll have to find a happy medium. Check your tire air pressure and if it's high 30s, I'd try 32 psi and see if that helps.

Blu-ray likes this.
  5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check tire inflation - are they between 35 and 40 psi? If higher, lower them and check the ride. If you're still getting vibrations, take a service tech with you on a "test drive" so you are there experiencing it first hand with them so they know exactly what you're talking about. It will save you the aggravation of listening to them stating "can't duplicate the problem" when they hand your keys back. They should run the gamut of problem solving, including switching out wheels and tires - who knows, one or more of your tires may be out-of-round, and no amount of balancing will cure that.

6. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I thought Toyota offered 1 free alignment for people that had this type of problem with a new car, due to the common occurrence of alignment issues from shipping.

7. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there a different dealer you could bring it to?

8. Rob Kundert

Rob Kundert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Why not ask the dealership if you could take a ride in a different Prius...same model and year...and see if you notice the same thing. If they don't want to go with that, go to another dealership.

9. andy_p

andy_p New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    Test drive the same car and compare.

10. Eco-Boi

Eco-Boi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No that isn't unrelated. One of my friends I was talking to said the same thing, so I can try that. They are rated 35psi front, 33 psi back. And I check them every few days for best fuel economy, but might as well try everything.

11. Eco-Boi

Eco-Boi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was actually thinking that. Each day I have thought to myself, "was this car THAT bumpy on the test drive?" Because I did test drive the car before I purchased it. So I don't recall it being super bumpy.

12. Eco-Boi

Eco-Boi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is yet another thing I have contemplated because the car comes with 2 year Toyota care, no matter where you live. So I figured maybe if they don't solve the issue, I can take it somewhere else. However, if I continue to have issues I will keep returning to the same dealer in the event I have to claim a Lemon.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  13. Eco-Boi

Eco-Boi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure if it would be alignment because the car drives straight naturally and what not, but then again I am not the expert.

14. andy_p

andy_p New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Test drive different car before you go to service department.
    There is also a thread about flat spots on tires, how long you have the car and how long it was sitting on the dealers lot?
    Just read again,with month old car check the thread about flat spots

15. Eco-Boi

Eco-Boi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting you say that. The service tech I dealt with yesterday told me "the Prius has a harder compact tire than most for fuel economy and can have a flat spot for a bit until it rounds out." I'm not sure what that means, but I was told that. I've had the car 1 month, and I don't know how long the dealership had it on the lot. The car is a 2012, so could be a few weeks, months?

16. andy_p

andy_p New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. Eco-Boi

Eco-Boi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  18. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I hear ya, Buying a new car is supposed to be problem free, at least that's what we all expect from Toyota. Taking a new car back to service is like separating a newborn from its parents, I would hate that feeling! I'm sure you know the Lemon Law is especially strong in NY. Also Toyota Corp. is very serious about customer satisfaction, one short phone call is likely to fix your problem if your dealer is not willing to help.

Eco-Boi likes this.
  19. Eco-Boi

Eco-Boi Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like your analogy! And yeah, it does suck having to take it back like that. Today was an okay ride so I will continue to see how it is for the next week. So far it seems better, but then again, as a new Prius owner, I don't even know what "normal" is yet. I test drove the Prius 2 before I had bought it, but test drives are only worth so much. There is nothing like owning and driving the car day after day and learning it through muscle memory and instinct. After a while you don't even think about all the quirks because you almost integrate with the car! So yeah, aside from my rant, I think that I will wait a couple days and see what happens. I'm tired of seeing the dealer, and I'm just hoping they fixed it. I really love this car. Don't know why I didn't get a Hybrid sooner.

WilMent likes this.
  20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The OE Yokohama S33D and Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires are kind of rough riding. There are aftermarket tires that ride much nicer and still offer great fuel economy. Be careful though, some non-LRR tires can really hurt fuel economy.