1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CA HOV UPDATED for 2012+ Plug in

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by JC91006, Mar 30, 2018.

1. SlidingBike

SlidingBike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Now I got it. Thanks for the details.
    If this is the case, I may proceed to WRITE TO CA ARB with the details of such law made your benefit (of applying in 2019 for new HOV red stickers) nullified. As a matter of fact, the actual application OR the first use of the car (which ever is latest) must be considered for these new HOV stickers(for 2017 and 2018) for the benefit of reapplying them for 2019 new red batch.

2. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The perfect storm, eh? Bravo!

3. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    II do not think any of my Prime buyers are affected yet. Did anyone try to apply for sticker renewals into next year? No. Because you cannot. YET. First things first, I'd wait... and try. I am applying for, and getting red decals now, which are good thru the end of this year. Let's see what happens. I'd like to hear late this year of any of my buyers being turned down for decals past January 1, 2019.
    You can worry about the future... or just live till it's the present. Right?

4. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I wonder if it will be interpreted as year model 2017 and up...
    guess we will have to wait and see. Ya know, it's a SMH issue. Everyone wanted decals asap... and as soon as we could apply for them as dealerships. we did. I think I got the first set of decals... maybe. No one else wanted to pre-order... so you win a few, you lose a few. But, I HOPE that my buyers will reach out to me if they find the state won't renew. That would totally suck, but laws change like tax laws change... life's full of changes, but I have resources. ;)

ewxlt66 and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  5. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am trying to add a link but the middle letters keep giving me the tongue face LOL I hope this works.
    Code:
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/decal

ewxlt66 likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dianne- It's a good question - how are they going to interpret this?
    I wrote to the key legislator with no feedback to me yet.
    I was distracted for a few weeks by some posts saying *purchase date* 2017 would be considered OK.

But the more I look into it, I think the law says *sticker* date. Purchase date is apparently irrelevant (at the moment).
    Our one PriusChat person with the problem says CVRP are now advising sticker date is the rule.

But we need to verify that, as a first step. Second step would be see if any fix is contemplated? also try to understand magnitude of the problem (how many 2017 Primes were sold with 2016 dated stickers?) Also effects all plug-ins not just Prime.

7. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I read the FAQ's on the DMV website.
    This could get very interesting.
    Vehicle Does Not Qualify

22. Q: My vehicle was eligible and issued clean air decals prior to January 1, 2017; can I apply for new decals after January 1, 2019, when my white or green decal expires?

A: No. Under the new CAV program, vehicles that were issued CAV decals prior to January 1, 2017, are no longer eligible to receive new decals after January 1, 2019, (California Vehicle Code 5205.5).

8. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I guess the Early Worm Gets The Bird! Hunh!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

9. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think most of my original Primes were not assigned stickers till the following year anyway, but once my earliest buyers chime in here, I won't know. I wouldn't have record of that at this time.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dianne- I went back to your October_2016 thread selling the first Prime.
    You had not been able pre-order HOV stickers.
    If my memory serves me (questionable) in Oct_2016 they had just lifted the limit on green stickers.
    So your dealership would not have had time to pre-order 2016 HOV stickers for your earliest Primes.
    But I don't know if it was possible a few of your Primes in late Dec 2016/early 2017 could have got 2016 stickers.
    I will keep looking at old threads....

As Prime came to market, there was excitement that green stickers were newly re-available, but that also meant the dealers did not have time to apply for the new green stickers right away.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dianne-
    Looking at your early Prime sales posts:
    > For the first sales (Nov 2016), you did not have HOV stickers, because the green sticker limit had just been lifted
    > On December 3, 2016 you said you ordered HOV stickers for all of your Primes.
    > But you "vented steam" on 15-Feb-2017 that DMV rejected most of your HOV sticker applications because the cars had been sold already. Presumably you might have got a few HOV stickers pre-issued for unsold cars, but it sounds like they might luckily be 2017 stickers.

I am now thinking it was pretty hard to get a 2017 Prime with 2016 stickers, but presumably a few your earliest purchasers in Nov_2016 might have applied by themselves as soon as they could...it would be interesting to see if any Nov or Dec_2016 buyers were unlucky enough to promptly order and get 2016 HOV stickers on a 2017 Prime by themselves. If not then the occurrence of 2016 HOV stickers on 2017 Prime must be a small number...somehow some dealers might have sneaked in there faster than you, which seems odd they could out do the High Priustess. But if they were not selling cars as fast as you, they might have been able to get the stickers before they sold the cars.

#51 wjtracy, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    SlidingBike likes this.
  12. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Damn that was some post back then. I was pissed! Thanks for finding that... I had forgotten about it. I guess there will not be many for me to worry about! But, if I do have a client with a problem, as I said, I have my resources! :sneaky:

wjtracy likes this.
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well we do have some poor souls, per this Prime thread:
    California License Plates + HOV Sticker | PriusChat

When you read the above thread, there are several PriusChat particpant Prime owners, who may not know it yet, but they got HOV stickers in late 2016 and hence cannot renew to 2022 (unless some law changes are made). In most cases I see so far, it looks like the dealer had pre-applied for the HOV stickers.

NOTE:
    So far it looks like Prime purchasers here, who applied for their own HOV stickers in Dec_2016 had to wait until Feb_2017 to get stickers. So far I did not see anybody who had applied earlier in Nov_2016.

I see one PriusChatter purchased about 5-Jan_2017 and it had a pre-applied for dealer sticker, gotta guess that is 2016.

#53 wjtracy, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a feeling some compassionate lawmakers may allow those who purchased in '17 or '18 to renew older stickers, hopefully!

wjtracy likes this.
  15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is my count so far I see from archive posts here:

2 x 2017 Primes bought in 2016 w/ dealer pre-applied 2016 sticker
    1 x 2017 Primes bought in 2017 w/ dealer pre-applied 2016 sticker (probable case)
    1 x 2017 Primes bought in 2018 w/ dealer pre-applied 2016 sticker
    0 x 2017 Primes bought in 2016 w/ owner applied for 2016 sticker (so far I see long 2-month waits for stickers)

Dealerships that sold the Primes with pre-applied 2016 stickers*
    Tustin Toyota
    Toyota of Orange

*Of course in 2016, no one knew the as-yet unwritten new HOV laws...these are apparently good dealers that did their Prime purchasers a favor by getting the HOV stickers for them ASAP at dealership expense.

16. SlidingBike

SlidingBike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am an optimist. The language here is Pre-APPLIED.. not PRE-APPROVED (of stickers by DMV). If those stickers are approved(not applied) before the end of 2016, they may need to be on the fence. If not, they might have got APPROVED after the new year of 2017. So, I guess the poor souls could be rock bottom in number (see above DMV FAQ to read APPROVED but NOT APPLIED). For example, I have applied mine in 2017 March or so, it took two months to receive my stickers :) (remember, this was not a RUSH season like just lifted the gates of the green stickers limit OR year end auto sale season etc). With that ML (machine learning) AI(Artificial Intelligence), I would be very hopeful that many Prime owners are lucky to get the stickers APPROVED in the new year.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For sure most Prime will be approved to 2022...we are talking about the exceptions here.

18. Prime_Time

Prime_Time Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If one gets a red sticker now does that mean they are good until 1/1/2022?

19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    They are good until 1/1/19. Then you can reapply/renew somehow.

20. Prime_Time

Prime_Time Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I wonder why they bothered with red stickers for now if you still have to reapply for renewal?

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.