1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cabin air filter

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ookies, Jun 17, 2017.

1. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just went to o Riley. Be careful. Save your receipt. Wix 24483 and some other 3684 model actually do not fit the prius prime tray.

The ridged and bendable sides are reversed. And it won't go into the tray.

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Richard Merwyn

Richard Merwyn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mice!

I just checked my 2017 Prime's cabin air filter and found evidence of mice, not a nest just the telltale chewed acorns, insulation bits, and small turds. Having just went through hell dealing with the same in my Tacoma truck and finally last week - getting around to installing a home-brew hardware cloth grill on all the air intakes/vents, I'm being hypervigilant! As it is, on a 2006 Tacoma there is a veritable "open barn door", sorta Grand Canyon leading directly from the outside to the filter - at least when the recirculation is off. It's under the black plastic grill work under the windshield. So now I wonder what the Prime's got under there? An external inspection seems to indicate major entry points might be lurking in this grillwork.

I dislike the idea of even partially dismantling a 3-year-old car, but I know what damage the little buggers can do - if you let them.

Does anyone have experience removing the exterior, black plastic grillwork directly beneath and overlapping the windshield? Does the Toyota Technical Manual (the one you pay for per day) have diagrams and/or parts explosions showing the construction and disassembly of this area? Perhaps someone has already explored this area?

Last week I managed to successfully tear down and reassemble the same area on the Tacoma. Various hints, pictures and 'ripping yarns' I found on-line were definitely a big help! My goal is to find out what the Prime's mouse/rodent defenses are and take appropriate action.

And to share what I find out. Perhaps there are other rural Prime owners who have similar concerns?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Watch @NutzAboutBolts video on spark plug change, linked in pinned thread in 3rd gen maintenance forum.

I put 1/4" rodent screen over cabin air intake, not too hard. Used self-tapping screws.

Put the same material at end of engine air intake too, secured with some copper wire twist ties through drilled holes.

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How does that relate to the Prime? o_O

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not much. :oops:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. Peng Xiao

Peng Xiao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    searched on parts.toyota.com, got the following results,
    871390R030
    87139YZZ37

8. fusion

fusion Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The new cabin air filter is different from the older models. They changed how the pleats are orientated. If you want to use the old filters, you will need to cut the plastic part down and you will be able to use the new or old design. You will understand what I am saying when you remove the filter. They put a plastic piece so that the old filters won't fit but they are the same dimensions.

Dael and bisco like this.