1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I swap features between same model Prii?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Benjazen, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Benjazen

Benjazen New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have two Gen-II Prii, 2006 and 2008. The 08 is base and has lower mileage and extended warranty; the 06, not so much on both but does have more bells and whistles, what I understand is a 'high option package standard', not touring. I want to put the 06 features into the 08:

Bluetooth phone, electronic rear view, fog lamps, JBL speakers and 6-changer, etc; complete with extra steering column controls and other stuff I probably haven't found yet. The touch screen is better in the 08 and ought stay put.

So far they each appear to be straightforward based on early research but I haven't looked into the phone yet.

My questions are, is this a simple matter of trading like-parts? What surprises can I expect if I make these changes?

This is my first post; forgive any redundancy. I have solved many problems since 2009 utilizing the wisdom shared here and wish to thank all who have contributed, particularly Osensei Patrick Wong.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

The kind of things you're likely to run into are:

Even within the same year ... a model that shipped without feature X may also be missing the wires for feature X, so even if you identify all the boxes in the other car that are parts of feature X and move them over, there turn out to be wires missing. You can fix that by buying the wiring harnesses (very expensive from the dealer), or trying to pull them out of recycler cars (if they haven't already been hacked up by the recyclers pulling other parts out, because they often just cut wiring instead of unplugging stuff), or studying the wiring diagrams, obtaining the individual crimp terminals and connector housings, and adding the missing circuits to the stuff you've got. Example...

Between years, there's the added possibility that the connectors have changed and one year's thingamabob doesn't fit in the other year, unless you do a whole lot of connector fiddling, or the thing you're trying to swap is so common that somebody sells an adapter harness you can buy. Example...

So, it can be an interesting project, and you can learn a lot (especially about finding your way around Toyota's online wiring diagrams, which are really cool once you get the hang of them), and it can also slurp up a lot more time and/or money than you were expecting....

-Chap

NORMAL POPS likes this.