1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can my gasoline get old and cause problems?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Krypto, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Krypto

Krypto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I rarely drive my Prius Prime more than 25 miles since this pandemic really kicked in. I haven't put gas in my tank since early February because I'm able to get around on just electric. So, I'm wondering if my gasoline will get old and start to cause problems. Should I run out the gas that's in my tank, or is it ok to ride around for the next month or so with what will be about 6 month old gasoline? Come September my commute will be about 50 miles so I'll be using up the gasoline (hopefully!).

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the o/m has the answer. i forget exactly, but using it up once a year is sufficient.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    eh, it's not the best but 6 month old gas is not terrible either. Try not to ever get caught in a pandemic shutdown again, okay?

I understand that the car designers thought of it, and when left to automatically manage its own drive modes it will try to use the engine more when it thinks the gas is getting old. The car has no direct way of measuring the quality of the fuel- it's just going from a timestamp on the last time the level went up.

4. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Consider switching over to E0 gasoline, it might be worth the extra drive to buy it and extra cost...

You'll also get better MPG's when using E0 gasoline.

Rob43

MSantos and Mark57 like this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Consult your owner's manual.
    How old was the gas in the tank when you stopped adding regularly ?
    I think the general consensus is not to worry until you pass the one year mark.
    But it would make me nervous......and taking a ride (on gas) might be a nice diversion.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well Toyota says to add at least a total of 20L (5.28 US gal) every 12 months. (so it doesn't have to be 20L all at once but as long as 20L or more has been added within a 12 month period).

Half of my tank is from last Nov and the other half from Mar so I think I should be good through the fall at least.

If you're going to start burning fuel in Sept, 7 months should be ok. And at least you're burning it to commute, rather than "for the heck of it".

If you want peace of mind, you could always add fuel stabiliser but the Prime's fuel tank is pressurised so it should be good. I mean, Toyota wouldn't want to recall the Primes due to clogged fuel injectors so I would think they've taken low fuel usage into account.

7. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No. They want to sell you "fuel injector service"......which really amounts to pouring a ~$7 can of Techron into the tank and charging you $70. :eek:
    :mad:

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are a different "they". The independently owned stealerships selling trumped-up "fuel injector service" and other unneeded profit adders are not the same corporate entity that has to pay for recalls.

Prodigyplace and fotomoto like this.
  9. Krypto

Krypto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks everyone for your quick answers!

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: what the Owner's Manual says:

[​IMG]

Krypto, Mambo Dave and Tideland Prius like this.
  11. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I imagine this could change based on where you live - humidity levels in the regular air are much higher here than in other states, so the fuel is in regular contact with more water vapor.

Alcohol in common USA gasolines is hydrophilic, so it's a detriment to vehicle owners that the US lawmakers allowed the corn industry to sell them on. It makes an utter (en expensive) mess of boat fuel systems that are stored for any length of time.

There is a general theory that the fuller one keeps their fuel tank, the less that fuel will be exposed to the humidity in the air. With already old gasoline, you may be creating more fuel degradation by not having a full tank on your short commutes - fuel sloshes around inside the tank, and the alcohol will bind to whatever water it finds in the air inside the tank. The more air you have, the more water you have in that air to bind to the corn-fuel.

If you can find a pump with non-ethanol fuel (for boats, equipment, etc.) that is still being used regularly (fresh gas in the station's tanks), if I were you I'd fuel up there to mix really good gasoline with what was marginal gasoline when it was new. You may get a gas station attendant yelling at you for putting it into your car, but write them off. Non-ethanol gasoline lasts, and stays fresher, far longer.

I'm going through a tank a week right now, so it's not a concern to me. I'm surprised so many here are still holed up at home.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's too general. There is no humidity exposure. Our system is sealed to prevent exactly that.

13. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    So you're stating that - as the gasoline in our tanks gets lower, the entire system operates in a sealed vacuum state? Ever try to pump a fluid from a sealed container under vacuum?

If you already have a pressurized tank of zero-water-vapor stable gas, like CO2 or Nitrogen, stored on your Prius to equalize the pressure differential in the fuel tank as the gas gets lower, then you got a better optioned car than I did!

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes. I have be doing it for over a decade. Prius switched from bladder to pressure-seal back with generation 3.

pjm877 and Mambo Dave like this.
  15. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Pressure from ... what? I must be missing something.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    To achieve the PZEV emission rating, evaporative emissions must be prevented. Toyota's system ensures the gas tank doesn't let anything in or out until you unseal for refilling.

17. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Use your head John.

The gas goes OUT. Absent a flexible bladder, something must go IN to replace it.
    That would be AIR.

The regulations do NOT prohibit air going IN; it prohibits gas fumes from going OUT.

The fuel system is NOT totally sealed. It can't be.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The point is the exchange is prevented... no in /out repeatedly. Only a tiny bit of air is left in, a dramatic reduction compared to unsealed systems. And whatever water enters then is simply burned with combustion, not accumulated like concern raises.

Think about how this has already been used in practice since 2012 without issue.

19. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Those are ridiculous claims.
    When the fuel level gets low, the amount of air in the tank is directly proportional to the amount of volume left empty by ~ 10 gallons of fuel that has been used.
    And water that condenses inside the gas tank is NOT "burned with combustion". It collects in the low points or blends with the ethanol if that is present.
    AND.....when the fuel tank gets real HOT.....because the whole vehicle gets real HOT.....some vapors are purged to prevent and explosion or pressure damage to fittings. Those vapors go through a vapor recovery system that tries to remove the gas fumes......and it does a fair job most of the time.

You are in WAY over your head here. You need to just STOP.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Why are you arguing a well proven system?

This was addressed ages ago by several automakers. It's not an issue, the variety of plug-in hybrids have taken that into account. Heck, Toyota even loosened their disclaimer from E10 to E15.

This has already been dealt with.

fuzzy1 likes this.