1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't decide between Prius v Five or Prius v Three

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Meli, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Meli

Meli New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Everyone, I am brand new to this forum and hoping that some of you veteran Pruis v owners can help me. I can't decide between the Prius v Five or the v ThreeI really want the leather interior. The dealer suggested I get a v 3 and have leather installed after market. However, I have read a lot of negative comments about the halogen lights versus the LEDs. It sounds like the halogen lights are not bright enough. I don't see well at night, so would prefer the brighter light, but is is worth the $ difference between the v 3 and v 5?

2. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    First of all, the "leather" interior in our Prius v Five is really "vinyl". It feels more "leather-like" than some other vinyls but it does not have the appearance or feel of real leather. I would have preferred cloth seats over the vinyl ones but the ATP package was available only on the "Five" with vinyl seats.

It might be difficult since we are nearing the longest daylight periods of the year but you might want to test drive cars with halogen and LED headlights. There is nothing magic about LED or HID headlights. Some of the best headlights I have experienced were the halogen headlights on the $15,000 Smart ForTwo I rented last fall for a month which also had seats that were incredibly more comfortable and supportive than the ones in our Prius v Five.

An important (to us) aspect of the Prius v LED headlights are that they are auto-leveling - similar to the ones on our other primary vehicle.

IMO, the "big bang" of the Prius v Five is that it available with the Advanced Technology Package which we bought due to it including the "automatic braking" radar Pre-Collision (PCS) safety feature. Actually, the only reason we considered a Prius at all was that it was available with PCS - will never again buy a vehicle that does not have it or a similar system.

Meli likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My 2009 Gen 2 Prius had the 3 door Smart Key, I really miss it in my v Three, it only has one door Smart Key.
    (So just grabbing the passenger or hatch does not unlock them, only the driver's door is 'smart')

4. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Also, the v5 is the only one which has all the electronic goodies available. So if you want those features, the v5 is the only option.

I have the v3, love it. Never been fan of leather (even softex) seats.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The dealer had a kit from the Toyota distributor installed in my v3 so I could get Softex. Ne seat heaters though.

6. UTBuckeye

UTBuckeye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Softex also emits fewer vocs than leather if you are concerned about that.

7. 2sk21

2sk21 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The v5 does have a bigger screen but the v3 navigation system is fully functional. I am very happy with my v3 since I did not want any leather or fake leather. My old Camry had leather and the kids would all complain bitterly in cold weather about how cold the seats were.

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Only with the AT package AFAIK. I'll add that the 7" screen in the ATP is a huge improvement. Plus you get the very cool robotic disc loader.

9. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two