1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't get power plug all the way in

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by atomicbot, Mar 21, 2022.

1. atomicbot

atomicbot New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Four
    Hi friends.

We have a 2018 Prius Prime and haven't had a lick of trouble since we bought it. For some reason today, it won't power on and doesn't want to respond to the fobs except to unlock the car. My first thought was the battery might be dead, so I decided to plug it in to the house and let it charge to confirm.

I plugged in the cord to an outlet and the power light on the brick came on fine. I cannot get the plug pushed all the way into the prius, though. There looks to be some little metal dowel that sticks down near the back of the port which prevents me from pushing the cord in far enough for the latch to click. Am I missing something? Is this something that should have lifted on its own?

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Your 12v battery is most likely nearly dead. Put a charger on the 12v battery.
    Charging the traction battery does not charge the 12v.
    My guess is the car hasn’t been driven much.
    There are many discussion on 12v battery discharge issues.
    Not sure if not being able to insert the plug all the way in is related. Perhaps the locking pin is dependent on the 12v battery?

atomicbot and jerrymildred like this.
  3. atomicbot

atomicbot New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the reply. Very true it hasn't been driven much - my wife and I both work from home, so I only drive it once every other week, more or less.

I bought a rechargable jump starter and hooked that up to the battery under the hood. Once it got a little juice from that I was able to get the car turned on and unlock it (which then let me properly insert the plug). For some reason it's not charging, though. The brick on the cable is lit up showing it has power and the green light turns on next to the port when I plug it in. The green light turns off after a few seconds or so and the lights on the dashboard never turn on. It was on just long enough for me to confirm I don't have any energy schedules set up and "charge now" was set to on.

It feels like user error on my part but I'm not sure what I missed.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 7.55.12 AM.png

If the connector lock pin was in the lock position, which can happen when the doors are locked depending on your settings, and the 12V battery is too weak, it won't retract and you won't be able to plug in the EVSE cable. Which doesn't matter anyway because of the facts pointed out by @schja01 about not being able to charge the 12V in the way you wanted to anyway. As he said, put the 12V on a charger and all should be well again.

atomicbot likes this.
  5. atomicbot

atomicbot New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Four
    Hi @jerrymildred - @schja01 was correct; the battery didn't have enough juice to unlock the car and raise the pin. I was able to resolve that using a portable jump starter. I left the prius plugged in overnight but it didn't charge at all so I will have to jump it again today. I haven't figured out yet what I'm doing wrong with trying to get it to charge, though. The cord plugs in correctly, the green light comes on, and then nothing else. I read for some people there's a bit of a delay before it starts, but that didn't seem to be the case for me.

6. atomicbot

atomicbot New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Four
    Progress! I went out to check it this morning and saw that it appeared to be totally dead again. I had charged the jump starter overnight, so I hooked it up again. As soon as I gave it some juice, the engine made that typical noise it makes and then the blue dashboard lights lit up. I'm not sure what I did different from yesterday when I did the same thing, but it looks like it finally had the power it needed to recognize the charge cord was plugged in and that it should start charging. I set a timer to go check it in 30 minutes or so and make sure it's still charging.

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Starting the car briefly doesn't fix a dead 12V. It was still too dead to power everything needed for hybrid battery charging.

Now that you got it charging the hybrid battery, it's trickle charging the 12V while it charges the hybrid battery. But that still won't be nearly enough. You need to get that 12V charged back up for reliable operation. Then take it to an auto parts store to have it tested to see if it is damaged from being run so low.

Merkey and atomicbot like this.
  8. atomicbot

atomicbot New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Four
    I wasn't able to really start it with the jump starter, but it did let me unlock it so I could get the charger connected. After about 5 or so hours of charging I was able to start it and drive it. The check engine light is on now, though, so I have an appt tomorrow to get it looked at. No idea if that was the cause of the battery draining or if the fully drained battery caused something with the engine, but it's still under warranty if it's anything more serious.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. John roden

John roden Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You need to purchase a battery charger for your 12v battery to get it back to normal voltage. Going forward, you should buy an inexpensive battery maintainer trickle charger to keep it topped up.

atomicbot and schja01 like this.
  10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is information on the 12v battery. Most likely, you will be needing to replace it with a new 12v battery. OEM battery may be in back-order in your area, but any 12v battery with a size group of either LN 1, H4, or 140R will work.
    HELP - 12v battery on backorder | PriusChat

jerrymildred and atomicbot like this.
  11. atomicbot

atomicbot New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Four
    Any recommendations on maintainers and extension cords? I'm looking on Amazon but am open to other retailers.

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A smart battery maintainer is a very low amp charger that charges at a floating rate at ~1A or less. Its use is limited to maintaining an already charged 12v battery, but not really suited to charge a drained battery. It is a better investment to buy a smart charger that can charge at 5A (which is the max recommended amp for the 12v battery in the PP according to the manual). The higher the charge amp, the more expensive it will get. CTEK, NOCO, Schumacher, Battery Tender are all well-known brands. And there are tons of cheaper no-brand chargers out there. I used a cheap ~$20 5A smart charger (no longer available at Amazon) and worked fine. Since then, I invested in a better charger and now use the Victron Bluetooth charger. It is a bit pricy but about the came as CTEK or NOCO with similar specs, but one thing this one makes so useful is that it has Bluetooth communication built-in. During charging or maintenaning, you can check the battery status from your phone app.

#12 Salamander_King, Mar 23, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    jerrymildred and atomicbot like this.
  13. atomicbot

atomicbot New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Four
    Being able to use app is a huge plus for me and the price is about what I'd expect. Thanks for the suggestion!

Salamander_King likes this.
  14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are welcome. One thing about the app for the Victron Bluetooth charger is that it can be used for a variety of Victron line-ups of battery charger, regulator, inverter, etc. The Victron is well known solar equipment manufacturer. I don't have a solar panel at our house, but I plan to install it sometime in the future. I may have more devices to be able to monitor then. Oh and another thing to remember is that it is connected by Bluetooth (not sure which ver.), and the range is maybe ~20ft max without walls. So, if your garage is detached or further away from where you are, it may not catch the signal.

Here are some screenshots of the Victron app with one of my 12v batteries currently in a "storage" mode.

upload_2022-3-23_19-20-18.png
    upload_2022-3-23_19-21-16.png

atomicbot likes this.
  15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This is not a phone. The AC charger for the traction battery does not charge the 12-V battery. You can only charge the 12-V battery from the traction battery if the car is in the READY mode.

16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I wouldn't get an aftermarket battery unless a Toyota battery is not available. It voids electrical warranties and can cause problems. Here is the Toyota battery:

2021 Toyota Prius Prime vehicle battery—00544H4052470—genuine Toyota part

Moreover, the reason the 12-V battery is dying seems to be either because the owner only does short trips or leaves the AC charger connected, the latter of which could quickly drain the 12-V battery. Playing the radio or keeping the lights on with the hybrid system off can also quickly drain the battery.

17. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "I wouldn't get an aftermarket battery unless a Toyota battery is not available. It voids electrical warranties and can cause problems."
    Is this true? What is different about any flooded lead acid 12v battery of the correct size and capacity? Can an AGM battery cause problems, or just give longer life? Like the ACDelco LN1 AGM battery from Summit Racing for $153 delivered.

Leaving the charge cable plugged in for even a couple of days has not discharged my 2017 battery significantly. Nor has running the radio for nearly an hour with the system off. Never a problem...so far.

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never heard or read such a claim by Toyota. Do you have any info on this? I really doubt your claim on voiding the electrical warranty and causing problems if aftermarket of the same size is used.

I have never replaced the 12v battery on my PP or previous Gen3, but for our Toyota Sienna, the battery was replaced at the Toyota dealer where I purchased the car. Yeah, it was long after the 3/36 warranty period, but our Toyota dealer didn't even use Genuine Toyota battery for the replacement battery.

#18 Salamander_King, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It says:

Why Your Battery Should be a Genuine Toyota Replacement:
    • The only warranty replacement battery approved for your Toyota vehicle.
    2021 Toyota Prius Prime vehicle battery—00544H4052470—genuine Toyota part

By the way, from my experience, Toyota TrueStart batteries are of high quality—better than the Japanese Toyota batteries.

I would go for Toyota TrueStart over the ACDelco AGM, but those who used the latter can post their experiences.

20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you are mistaking the warranty on the battery. It says nothing about voiding the warranty on the vehicle.

jerrymildred and Gokhan like this.