1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cant pull vin# on toyota site

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Trinck, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Trinck

Trinck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am considering buying a 2012 prius and when i try to search the vin on toyota website it says not found. I was able to pull it on carfax. Is that normal? Is there anything i should be concerned with. I love car only 41k miles very clean and we agreed on 11k on the price
    Thanks

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the car is originally from Hawaii, it won't show up on Toyota's website

3. Trinck

Trinck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Im in ny and she showed me the window sticker. Do i need to be concerned?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can always do a prepurchase inspection with Toyota. Only will cost you 1 or 2 hours of labor.

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If you’re concerned about a counterfeit VIN, I’ve written about some basic checks for casual tampering you can do on the vehicle itself. If you take the vehicle to a dealer or mechanic who has a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system or equivalent, it should also be able to read the VIN stored in the car’s computers.
    Does the window sticker say which Toyota dealer sold the car originally?
    To expand on this a bit, Toyota Motor Corporation, the parent company in Japan, has several dealers and distributors in the U.S. and its territories who do not buy their new vehicles from Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (TMS), the distributor for the contiguous U.S. and Alaska. These companies include:
    Toyota vehicles sold by these companies are built to comply with U.S. regulations, but since TMS didn’t sell them, information about them isn’t available on the Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners site operated by TMS.

There’s nothing inherently suspicious about such a vehicle for sale as a used car. Remember that Hawaii and several of the territories have large military installations, whose personnel buy cars and trucks and sometimes ship them back to the mainland when their assignments end.

A 2012 Prius with 41,000 miles should still have some warranty coverage remaining for certain hybrid system and emissions-related components. It might be worth a call to TMS (1-800-331-4331) to confirm that their mainland U.S. dealers would honor this warranty for the Prius you’re thinking of buying; I think they should, but my reading of the Toyota Warranty Policy and Procedures Manual is worth exactly what you’ve paid for it.