1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car lurches when brake applied and hitting a bump

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by A617, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So my Pirus Mfg date of 08/2010 seem to lurch for 1/2 a second when I hit a small pothole or a bump when the brakes is applied it gets worst if I hit a larger pothole or bump to a point , I didnt find a recall on toyota site ie Toyota, Lexus & Scion Recall Lookup. When i when to do my inverter recall the service advisory said there's no other recalls to be done. Is this normal? I read that the recall is manly for the early models ranging 2009- very early 2010.

Cliff notes on event:
    Brakes applied to slow down

Hit a small pothole or a bump while brakes is applied

Brakes makes a hydraulic release noise (similar noise to pressing the brakes)

Car lurches for 1/2 second

Then brakes repressurizes (brake pump engages by making whirring noise when you grab open the driver door after its been sitting for some time)

Brakes returns to normal function

No warning lights after event.

2. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Normally you are using regen when slowing down. If you hit a bump, the car systems will switch from regen to normal abs friction braking.

The lurch you feel is that moment of changeover.... it feels a little like you lost braking and sped up, check that the recall was done for this which basically shortened the slight delay to an even shorter event.

Roland

3. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Its occurring when friction brakes is applied, i even did a hard braking and going over a small pothole and it lurches, its definitely not regen switch over. Im going to check the the dealer again i did not see any records of the brake recalled done on Carfax and on toyota care site.

xlider
    Ive did the search but most mention regen switch over...

4. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Ok a617, going to the dealer now is the right course of action to take.

I cannot think of anything aside from the changeover issue at this point that would explain what you've described. Hopefully you'll be kind and inform us of the outcome to help the community understand the issue you have experienced.

Roland

5. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All vehicles I have driven with ABS do this to some extent. Some worse than others.

6. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Momentary ABS activation maybe ?
    That can be rather alarming if you are not familiar with the feel of ABS, and sometimes even when you are familiar with it.

hybridbear likes this.
  7. alexcue

alexcue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yep had that happen when the car was a few days old. Had to do a "panic" stop, traffic slowed quicker than i anticipated in front of me. Hit an expansion joint before a bridge and it felt like i wasn't going to stop. The ABS had kicked in for a fraction of a second. Felt the pulse. Then car stopped real quick.

The moment it switched over, on the bump it felt like it kept going. My real issue is personal though, I was coming from a Toyota Tundra which is much heavier and brakes much differently. But even then I've felt that uneasy feeling like the pedal had gone down further, so i pressed harder.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The braking transition from regen to friction brakes can be unsettling the first time it happens to you. To get a feel of what the transition feels like in controlled conditions, when braking for a stop light without traffic in front of you, shift to Neutral. Neutral will disable the regen and enable friction braking, the same as when you hit a pothole or slick surface and kick in ABS. There will be a difference in brake pressure needed for the same decel rate between the regen and friction braking.

9. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well dealer was booked full today scheduled to go tomorrow...

10. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This dead horse has been kicked over and over again with the gen 3s on Priuschat

11. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alright when to the dealer today and was disappointed, they say my vin mfg date and the abs/brake did not match the recall database, they did drive my car and was able to replicate but they slam me with its normal and that before the abs recall the brake will surge longer...idk but I call bs on that.

What??

#12 A617, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  12. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Maybe yes, maybe no bs from the dealer....

Mine is an early 2010 and did get the firmware update for the delay.... it is still there though, but a fraction or two of a second shorter.

Think about your car stopping as a 3 step process, 1 regen brakes, just the two front wheels being used by the motor generator to charge the battery up, 2 friction brakes if you press fairly hard or are nearly stopped, and 3 activation of the abs system.

This selection between the 3 seems to take just long enough on a Prius to notice it, but the car can easily stop just in just as short a distance as any other car on the same surface given equivalent grip at the tires. I've found it even better than some I've owned when once my PCS system thought I might hit a guy who cut me off... it jacked up the brake response and it felt like an anchor with a short chain was dropped.

You'll grow used to it in time, and if you still wonder... rent a Prius or take a test drive in a new one to check it out on a similar set of road.

I avoid having to brake hard on rough sections when I see myself coming up on such a stretch of road... of course you cannot do that sometimes.

Roland

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you need to go back and apply the thumbscrews to that dealer.:mad:

14. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you should try to get used to it.
    Try to adjust your driving style. Be aware of how the car reacts when ABS kicks in and forget about wating your time with the trips to the dealer. Then move on....

15. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I had a 2011 Prius that did it. When I bought the car new the salesman told me about this characteristic in a Prius. You are right, get used to it and move on. I have a 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring and it does not do that but the Prius does. Nothing can be done about it. I put 48,000 miles on the Prius and never had an accident because of it but I certainly think you could.

16. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Here's the deal:
    A LOT of owners on here told you that it probably is normal (can't say for sure without driving it).
    Then a dealer told you it is normal.
    Seems to me like you have a few choices going forward.
    Sell the car if you don't like it.
    Find another dealer for another opinion.
    Resign yourself that it doesn't work like you WANT it to work and adjust your expectations.

Continuing to fret about something you can't really change is not healthy.

17. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. This has been hashed MANY times here on PriusChat. Not to dismiss your personal experience, but Easy Rider is dead on in a blunt way.

Thread Closed.

trentofdestiny likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.