1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car Wash

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RJ Primw, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So do I, unless it's below freezing outside. 99% of the time, when it is, I just wait. But perhaps once a year or so, I do use a car wash for one or the other of our cars.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. dave121

dave121 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This! With proper supplies, tools, and technique, paint can near look new for many years to come.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. My 9.5 year old Gen 3 retained its depth (Blue Ribbon Metallic) with regular washing, clay at and waxing).

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Had my prime into the shop the other day then went to car wash the alarms on the car will not stop going off, I liked it better before the required update, the alarms never went off went I was in the car wash

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did you have your windows up?

6. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Lol, why yes, yes I did, why?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Went for my 20,000 mile service yesterday. They said the recall update could be done then. I was not going to mention it so they caught me off guard and I said sure...do it. They took it through a car wash after servicing my car. Seems fine. The oil change, tire rotation, and software update all came to $0.

While I was waiting in the lounge area my phone alerted me to a text. It was from my mechanic working on my car. He sent a vid of him rotating my tires and showing me the brake pads, tread level, and other stuff under he car. Said all looked AOK. A new feature that was kind of cool.

8. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hmmm... had the same experience yesterday. It had been a while since I took the car through a car wash, but I don't remember such a huge number of audio alarms going off in the past. (The software update was done by my dealer during normal periodic maintenance at the end of last month.)

If the objective of the update was to keep the Prime from automatically applying the brakes to avoid colliding with the big rotating brush, I did not experience that problem before the update and did not experience it now.

But I now can be entertained by listening to the Prime scream in terror while watching the MID display showing which proximity sensors on which quadrant of the Prime are being offended by the car wash.

It is a very good simulation of bathing a cat.

bathing-the-cat.jpg

9. Northerner

Northerner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So.... I picked up my license plates yesterday - and it was misty, almost snowing, and near freezing temps. There was more salt on the freeway than water, but enough of each to paint my blue car white. I could not stand seeing it this way and so today brought it to a car wash.
    Lots of frightening issues:
    The guy in the front of the wash told me to place the car in neutral. I toggled to N and said OK. The car (in EV mode) quietly rolled forward, and the guy hit the back of the car asking where I was going. Turns out it was still in drive. I had to reverse. Lesson: make sure to check that car actually is in neutral!
    Next, I was brought through the wash and it was shear panic- first for the car and then for me! Car alarms I didn’t know I had screamed out one after another as rollers and hanging cloths sloshed by as the car moved along the conveyer system. I really thought the car might hit the breaks and I’d be caught, not knowing how to move the car.
    Note to self: learn to disable the alarms before going into another car wash.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah.. the ICS sensors will go nuts.. also, turn off the rain-sensing wipers.

11. illumiN8i

illumiN8i Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You can use the Carista app or Toyota techstream to enable the option to automatically disable the parking sensors while in Neutral so it doesn't beep like crazy when you go through a car wash.