1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CARB rules background

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by wjtracy, Aug 19, 2015.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of our members recently got this CARB info from EPA.
    http://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=24724&flag=1

I thought of PiP 14 states when I saw this, but I suspect PiP is a 50-state car. Basically I think it says some CARB cars are not Federal emissions certified. If the car is not Federal certified, the CARB car can be sold in CARB states and all states adjacent to CARB states (eg; Va.). If you want to buy a CARB car in a non-adjacent non-CARB state, you need to make sure your non-CARB state accepts CARB certification.

Some cars (I assume Prius Liftback) are both Federal and CARB certified these are the so-called 50 states cars.

But who knew CARB did not meet Fed requriements?

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought CARB is more strict.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think is more an issue of just paying more to get the second certification, and the car maker deciding that isn't worthwhile, than a CARB certified car not meeting federal standards. They are both pretty strict at this point, with most of the difference coming down to requirements for the CARB extended warranties.

4. waynedubjay

waynedubjay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    interesting

5. dboy

dboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I understand it, Fed certified is less stringent than either 1.) CA levels, 2.) CARB state levels, or 3.) "all 50" state levels (because such a car has to meet both CA and CARB-state levels (for models 2008 and later) to be "all 50".

You can't be Fed certified if you meet the stricter requirements because ... the requirements aren't the same.
    This due to a federal requirement which requires that if a state wants to adopt different standards, then they must ask for an exemption, detailing why the Federal requirements are not appropriate in their case. So an exemption that has been granted means that Federal standards do/did not apply to the car because different standard did/do. Even though the CA and CARB state standards are stricter.

Cars prior to model year 2008 could not be CARB certified but could be CA certified because states only were allowed to adopt CARB standards beginning in 2007, for 2008 models, because of a 2007 Obama administration ruling.

A state that is now CARB standard may have adopted CARB standards later then 2007.

There are some CARB states that adopted CARB standards, such as Pennsylvania starting with 2008 models, in which a 10 year 150,000 mile Hybrid battery warranty does not usually apply, as far as I can tell. Only Toyota can say for certain, and they consider each case on a case-by base basis. The 2014 list of CARB States in the US | PriusChat