1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Carbon buildup at <25k miles

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lisa99, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Hayman66

Hayman66 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for the info- I called the 800 number today and asked them. They said they do not have that suggestion in their manual but that dealerships can suggest due to driving habits. They are going to call the dealership and ask more questions. :)

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well you didn't say that you used Techron either.
    Given the "many years ago" comment, Techron might not have even existed then.

Your statement implies that you have evidence that Techron does a good job of removing carbon deposits.......and it appears that is NOT the case.

3. Chazman62

Chazman62 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Techron DID exist when that happened.
    You are missing the point in this thread. Instead, you are just picking on my words for whatever reason.
    My post was to suggest readers and to help the OP it's OK to try one of those chemicals before spending too much $$ on dealers or mechanics.

Let's stay on the subject issue and try to help others by posting positive comments.

Great job!
    Let us know what you find from Toyota.

#43 Chazman62, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2020
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The retail bottles of Techron, at some times labeled Techroline, have been around since 1981, according to this Chevron page.

Techron also predated consumer availability of the digital cameras such as it appears those pictures were taken with.

5. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Posting potential solutions that are not likely to work is not "being positive".
    Bad advice is worse than no advice at all.

My positive comment is: IF you want to try a chemical additive to solve ANY kind of problem, you should positively pick one that is designed to perform the function that you need. Positively.

6. Hayman66

Hayman66 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So I got a call back today from my dealership. He told me it is not a Manufacturer's suggestion to get the carbon build up cleaned, it is a dealerships recommendation. He said they normally suggest it at 30,000 miles or sooner if you don't put a lot of miles on the car. He assumed since mine was a 2017 that I had driven it for 3 years and only had 21,000 miles on it. I actually didn't take possession of the car until 2018 so I have only had it 2 years even though it is a 2017. He also said he would be speaking to his team about the fact that it is not a Manufacturers recommendation so they are more careful with their wording.

7. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Translation:
    There is nothing "excessive" about the "carbon buildup" and it is just a money grabbing scam.
    Of course he is going to cover his butt.
    Find a different dealer.

MTN and Hayman66 like this.