1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changed evaporator in 05 and now blower motor doesn't work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gmcneil05, Sep 5, 2015.

1. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So the evaporator in my dads Prius had been leaking for a while so we finally decided to bite the bullet and change it. Everything came apart fine. Changed the evap and expansion valve. Put it pretty much back together except for glove box and a pillar trim pieces. Push power button twice to make sure all the flaps and blower motor works as it should. Well the blower motor doesn't come on. I hear the relay click when you turn the fan on in the mid. No power at the fan though. I checked just to be sure. I've looked all over for loose wires/plugs but have yet to find anything. I started the car up and everything works fine except the blower motor. Any ideas as to what it could be?

#1 gmcneil05, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    open it up, set the fan on medium speed, push the fan with a finger, (or a stick if you are afraid to use your finger) see if it wants to spin after you poke it.

4. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have tried that but the fan is not getting any power. I checked with a bolt meter.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As it's almost certainly something that happened in the course of your work, a careful retracing of steps ought to find it. The wiring diagram manual on techinfo.toyota.com will identify all of the connectors on that path that you might have touched, in case you missed (or just partly-reconnected) any while reassembling.

-Chap

6. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've rechecked all the wiring and everything is plugged in. Is there any way that the computer would not let the fan come on since the ac system is not charged. I would not think that to be the case but I don't know what else to do. Maybe just go ahead and charge it and see.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would not either. If it were me, I'd be in there with my multimeter checking all the connections that look like I made them back up.

-Chap

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The motor leads connect to Blower Motor Controller B3 which is really close the 12 volt port right below the glove box. Its rather small controller. The B+ that feeds that controller is via 40 Amp Fuse "HTR". Drive signal to that controller comes from controller AC A7 underneath the center kick panel close to the floor.

Good Luck.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not an ac guy so not sure if the blower motor is prevented from turning on if any parameter is not met with the ac system.
    Some ac guys will come by soon.

10. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. I'll follow your schematic tomorrow and hopefully find the problem.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good luck. Have seen very few evap coils replaced under the dash here so I feel for you. Very big job. Hope I helped.

12. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well it ended up being a loose plug in the panel left of the column. Only had one larger blue wire in it. I don't even know why it was loose cause I didn't unhook anything else from there but anyways it's fixed. Thanks for the help.

valde3 and bisco like this.
  13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How did you decide the evaporator was leaking?
    Was this visible via the use of dye or compressor oil leaking out?
    Can you post photos showing the location of the leak?

14. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well 2nd gen Prius I've found have a issue with evaps leaking with age. I had a friend with a freon sniffer detect a leak out of the vents inside the car just to make sure before I tore it apart. Once I did there was a light coating of oil on some of the vent ductwork and oil in the case around the evaporator. I actually have 2 07's in the family that both need the evaps changed but I've been leery not having any instructions of previous people doing it. But now that I've done one I should have done it along time ago. Wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected. The next one I do I'll be sure to take pictures and make a nice write up.

valde3 and Patrick Wong like this.