1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing an engine in a 2011. Too much for amateurs?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by gaffa, Oct 22, 2019.

1. gaffa

gaffa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this too much to even attempt?

My brother and I are not car mechanics. But we are both incredibly handy. He's worked in apartment maintenance, installing and servicing and heating and air conditioning systems and he's a master plumber. I'm an electrician, electronics tech and live in a basement apartment that I built.

We have one secret weapon - one of my brother's oldest friends is a top mechanic, but he's just not physically capable of doing the work anymore (50 years of wrenching tends to destroy your body.) So he's available to let us know if we're doing anything really stupid.

Can a Prius engine swap be done in an ordinary garage? What tools will be need? What are we not anticipating?

bisco likes this.
  2. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Anything is possible!

Just require lots of time, patience, beer, bloody knuckles, swear jar/change, lots of thinking and documenting and more beer.

Think about all the steps of the process beforehand, plan it out well and make sure to be ready with what can happen.

I never dived that deep, however I would not hesitate too long to start it with help and a mechanic on stand by.

3. Striker325

Striker325 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would assume you would need some tools.
    Special tools to consider:
    Jacks
    Jack Stands
    Engine Cherry picker
    Decent torque wrench

Bay Stater, gaffa and bisco like this.
  4. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    More than one torque wrench may be needed: 1/4, 3/8, and perhaps 1/2. Your expert can put you in the picture there. Depending on the strength of the the garage rafters, you can rig a chain hoist from the ceiling (you can even reinforce the ceiling with doubled 2x4s resting on the floor--ie, vertical) if you don't have access to a dedicated engine hoist. You can rent engine hoists (or even buy one at Harbor Freight).
    The tools are metric, and some of them will be fiddly (ie, specific purpose tools) but most will be regular metric sockets, box end and open end wrenches.
    Lots and lots of reading and thinking 'o)

gaffa likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    absolutely you can do it. read up and watch a lot of videos. get a subscription to the service manual, and techstream
    most of it is just tediously taking things apart and tracking them for reassembly. take tons of pictures, your bro's friend is your ace in the hole (y)

gaffa likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bay Stater and gaffa like this.
  7. gaffa

gaffa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm planning to document this with a number of cameras so I can cover myself in case I make a mistake.

Mark, the skilled mechanic, says the "book" time to do this is 20 hours. If I plan for triple that, should I be OK?
    We can't ask him to do the work, but I'm in better shape than Mark or my brother. I've done a lot of plumbing under my brother's guidance. I tell people "He's the plumber, I'm the rubber cup on the end of a wooden stick."

bisco likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing: @Ragingfit slathers most bolts with never-seize (Nuclear Grade!) before reassembly and torquing. I'm not sure that's for the best: my Pocket Ref (by Thomas J. Glover) recommends reducing torque value to 0.45 when using that lube.

gaffa likes this.
  9. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not too bad but a garage lift makes it easier. But I agree with what is stated above you going to need beer and your knuckles will be busted. The engines are easy to remove and install it's all the electrical harness connectors that's going to take the longest time disconnecting them and moving them out of the way. I always let the car down over a heavy duty work station on wheels then remove the two top mount bolts and lift the car off the work station then use a cherry picker to change out the engine from the transmission. Then just roll the engine back into place and lower the body back over the engine while lining everything back up carefully. Me by myself takes 16-18 hrs.
    Be warned the easiest and most costly mistake is nicking the windshield with the wiper tray when removing or installing it back in. The windshield will crack.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Bay Stater, Rebound, bisco and 2 others like this.
  10. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I did mine in my parents driveway. Common hand tools, an engine hoist, a hydraulic jack and a pair of jack stands. I pulled the engine by itself, without the transaxle. It can be out in a few hours. The EGR cooler is going to occupy most of your time. Hook the hoist as close to the engine as possible. Most hoists have 4 weight extensions on the boom, keep the boom as short as possible for maximum elevation. Watch the exhaust manifold at the base of the windshield.

IIRC, 7 bolts on the bellhousing, three bolts and two nuts on the passenger motor mount, two exhaust bolts at the manifold to pipe, There is not a lot to take loose to get it out, but it can be labor intensive.

Bay Stater and gaffa like this.
  11. gaffa

gaffa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're the second person to mention it. I don't drink - is the beer actually mandatory?

I'm actually pretty good at that. I've made plenty of electrical harnesses, and actually rewired a friend's Porsche 911. I also helped him convert a MB Sprinter Van into an RV.
    Not sure what you mean "heavy duty work station." This is a rolling engine mount?

Have you got any video of this technique?

Excellent advice. Thanks!

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The EGR cooler/valve could come off with the engine? Maybe even with exhaust manifold as well? Just go REAL slow while clearing the windshield...

Bay Stater, Ragingfit and gaffa like this.
  13. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    As long as you have a plan b in place.
    You may have to clean things or replace a specific part or have unexpected downtime for some odd or specific reasons.
    Dont stand behind the 8 ball and get worried sick the whole time if you are relying on driving the vehicle
    perhaps after 60 hours....like starting Friday after work and needing to drive to work the following Monday.

Not that it cant happen, but there is Murphy there too to help out. :unsure:

The only thing you have to fear is fear itself lol.

Your ambition and dedication is what is gonna get it done.

I just looked at your location....if you were closer to me I would be helping ya out!

gaffa likes this.
  14. gaffa

gaffa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, my brother actually has three Priuses (or whatever the plural is.) He has this one that he put 125,000 miles on, a second that he bought to help out a friend, and when the first one failed, me managed to get an amazing deal on a 2019. So this one can be a project and we have very little to lose.

Thank you.

RMB likes this.
  15. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Should be good to go then.
    Keep it simple but thorough and no rush should yield the best results.

Good luck with the swap, should be fun and a great learning xp!
    I will prob be in that spot sooner or later with some type of car.

gaffa likes this.
  16. gaffa

gaffa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again for all the help so far. I'm shopping for an engine, and obviously I'd like to get the lowest mileage engine I can find. What's the newest model year that will work? According to Wikipedia, "Gen 3" was 2009 through 2015. But what's the newest that will work without a lot of work that might be more than we can handle?

17. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    2015 would be the least amount of work.
    Also they have updated the pistons and rings on the 2015MY
    Although I suppose with finding a low mileage 2010-13 and doing an
    overhaul and changing them out could result in lower cost if that is what is found.

However, there is a few folks that have put some Gen 4 engine in.
    This thread here discusses it
    I think some self fabrication and the like to get it done.

Again, anything is possible. But the headaches will be mighty.

18. gaffa

gaffa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I could reasonably put a 2015 engine in this 2011?

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes.

dig4dirt and gaffa like this.
  20. gaffa

gaffa Junior Member

Vehicle: