1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing license plate lights

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by larryhut, Sep 3, 2021.

1. larryhut

larryhut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi
    How do you change the license plate lights in a newer Prius Prime (2019). I have checked YouTube, the manual, googled it, checked on this forum, and can find nothing for the newer Prius. There are no cut-outs in the rear hatch like the older Priuses where you can access the bulb. Thank you in advance!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The licence plate lights are LEDs on the Prime, not incandescent if that's what you're thinking.

It is illegal to change their colour.

3. larryhut

larryhut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well that answers one of my questions as I was going to put LED's in, but not change the color. Thank you-don't need to change them as they are already LED's. Out of curiosity now, I still wonder how you change the bulbs if one burns out.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no replaceable "bulb". It suppose to last the lifetime of the car, but if you have to replace it, you have to replace the entire LAMP SUB-ASSEMBLY LAMP UNIT Part Number: 8120433030. I am not sure how hard it is to take the unit off the hatch door, but there has to be a way.

chinarut and Tideland Prius like this.