1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing wheels/tires okay idea?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by John Robert, Jun 23, 2014.

1. John Robert

John Robert New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I like most everything about my new v five, except the low profile tires. The ride is noisy and rough, especially compared with the Camry LE we traded and the Tacoma, of course, which we still drive.

Have had the Prius for a week, and finally went back to the dealer to drive a three model with the 16'' wheels and 60R tires. The ride seemed quite improved. To put this set-up on the v Five will cost me a fair bit; the dealer said it would be done at cost.

Does it seem eccentric to make this change? (And does it seem odd that Toyota is using these low profile tires as the only option on their Five?)

Then, there's the matter of selling the wheels/tires. But, perhaps that's another thread.

Thanks for any thoughts!

John

#1 John Robert, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Americans have some delusion that bigger wheels are better, I see a lot of 22 inch wheels (thankfully not on Prius) so the 'better' trim ranges of Prius models have cosmetically pleasing but horrible MPG and comfort wheels.

The v has a different bolt pattern (5 by 114) than other Prius, (5 by 100) so you can swap with other v owners but not Liftback, c. or PHV owners.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't make any judgements about low profile tires in general based on what the OEM tires are like. The 17" tire/wheel combo does produce a harsher ride, but it also offers improved handling and performance in general. The 16" set won't alter the noise factor either. Give yourself some time to adjust to the different ride, and maybe even consider getting a better tire.

John Robert likes this.
  4. John Robert

John Robert New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the good input, JImbo. I guess I'm just trying to gauge whether it's wise to just go ahead and have the dealer put on the 16/60s. Being pretty much totally ignorant about tires until I felt the ride, I'm just wondering if a little learning is a dangerous thing. I'm maybe a little worried that I'm missing something in going forward--other than the cash it's going to cost. Plus, I'm just sort of scratching my head over what Toyota was thinking. Did they think that all the folks ponying up for the higher trim model were looking for a "performance" tire?

5. John Robert

John Robert New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, I'm going to take your advice to heart. I certainly never took into account the idea that the OEM tires are inferior. But, like I said, I did test drive the 16" set today in a v three, and definitely felt less feedback from the road. Maybe something like 30-40%? Road noise reduction was even more subjective, but I'm pretty sure the ride was a little quieter.

If I'm going to go the the trouble and expense of changing out the 17" set, maybe I should request a certain tire? Any recommendations?

Thanks again!

John

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You don't have to go through the dealer for this. You can look into getting something from places such as Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels. Reducing unsprung weight is usually considered a good idea. Tire Rack lists the weight they measured for each wheel, and provides reviews from their testing and user input on tires to give you some more info.

The pros are you can get something lighter, or maybe something more appealing to the eye. It's also probably cheaper.

The cons are you might have to deal with a difficult to remove hub centering ring when in need of changing to the spare. Also, new sensors would need to be programmed to the car, not sure how much a place would charge for that. (Although ATEQ doesn't list '13 or '14 as compatible with it's QuickSet unit, I'd be surprised if it didn't work. Cost of that unit is around $150 so far that I've found.)

xpcman likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding rough ride, have you checked the tire pressure?

Some are delivered with 40 PSI, the factory setting for their Pacific Cruise. Dealers are supposed to lower it to the recommended level before delivery, but not all do. That high pressure will create a rougher ride. If high, lower it to the recommended level first, before making any equipment changes.

Many of us like that 40-ish PSI on the regular tires. But that is too much for some folks, and more likely to be excessive on the low profile tires.

tanasit and JimboPalmer like this.
  8. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu Average punter

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Another suggestion is to run 225/50R17 which is more aligned to the diameter to the 205/60R16 on the 16" than the standard 215/50R17.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm sure you could find someone local to you willing to trade their oem 16 inch wheels for your 17 inchers. You might even be able to get them to throw in a little extra cash for the deal.

SCH-I535

tanasit likes this.
  10. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The 16" you drove might well have been quieter, but it was a different model tire. Around here you won't get many suggestions for tires except LRR tires, and in 17" models the choices are few. I wouldn't suggest anything but Michelin. My Energy Saver A/S tires, compared to the OE Toyo, are quieter, handle WAY better, and increased MPG by 3-4. They did not appreciably change the ride, but I run them at 40psi.

11. SmellyTofu

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No one has mention much improved passive safety. Quiet and comfy ride means nothing if you can't avoid a collision with those awful 16".

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Which is odd as race cars run wheels as small as 13 inches, must be for the ride as everyone know race cars don't need handling.[/sarcasm]

[​IMG]
    Formula One

[​IMG]
    Indy car

13. John Robert

John Robert New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    All this good input has inceased my interest in the Prius and in what we bought it for in the first place--better MPG and doing better by the environment. My fascination is building, too, over how to better balance comfort (a less harsh ride) with the tire's MPG performance. You would think tires would be simple. I'm learning here that it's not.

As far as next steps, I think I'll see about selling my OE tires/wheels first--maybe on Craig's list. Then consider moving to Michelins on replacement 16s.

But, I'm keeping an open mind on all of this.... Thanks again, people. Your enthusiasm for the topic is infectious. -- John

14. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    At the time we purchased our "v"-5 in Feb.of 2012 asked the dealer if they would swap our oem 17" for the "v"-3 oem 16"..they would not go for the swap....My thought was the 16" combo would potentially offer a somewhat softer ride...
    Found a set of oem 16" "v"-3 take offs with Michelin energy saver a/s....in Florida thru the Priuschat sales forum...
    Eventually sold our "v"-5 oem 17" set to a gentleman in California....
    Here's a link to my comparison of the 17" to the 16"
    "v" OE 17" vs 16" wheel/tire observations.. | PriusChat

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd check the tire pressures (as mentioned above by fuzzy), just in case.

We alternate between 215/45R17 Michelin Pilot (the OEM) and 195/65R15 Michelin X-Ice (snow tires on steel rims). The latter are more cushy, but I just live with the difference. I set the 15" pressures higher than the 17". The 17" offer marginally better cornering stability I think, but we really don't push them, drive conservatively.

Keep in mind, come trade-in time, there'll be some questions regarding the odd combo: the higher level with base tires.

16. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There is no such thing as a perfect tire, you can't buy one with any amount of money.

The manufacturer makes trade offs in dry handling, wet handling, stopping distance, noise, rolling resistance, snow, cold handling, longevity, etc. I've paid 100% more for a tire sometimes recognizing I'd only get improvements in some areas and not all.

Alignment is the same, Toyota will give you some specs but your setup might be on one side of the spec and mine on the other end of the acceptable range and we'd both be OK per the spec but get different results. Don't assume your car was delivered with the proper alignment!

And then there is inflation pressure. Tradeoff between (lower) wear on the outside edges and (higher) wear on the center. MPG (higher) versus ride softness (lower).

And the state of the tread depth.

And the design of the tread.

And your ears. Just drove in my wife's car a few weeks ago and picked up a noise, three of her wheels were aligned out of Toyota spec and the tires were cupping on the edge even though they were very good tires. She had not heard the noise. 25k and I'll have to scrap a few of them even though to the casual eyeball they look good.

And your driving style. I came from a 4wd CRV with aggressive noisy wonderful rain tires and a Porsche with ultra high summer only performance tires. I doubt I drive the v3 the same way I drove either.

And the road surface.

And the weather in your area.

And the amount of noise-dampening material the manufacturer installs in the car. (The v has darn little.)

Lots of variables.

Yes the sidewall and ride can be softer on the 16" because there is more crush area between the pothole and the rim on the 16".

John Robert likes this.
  17. SmellyTofu

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I know the comment was in jest but anyway, when you take into account just purely the stopping distance of a high performance tyre vs slippery eco tyre, even a saving of half a car length at pedestrian speeds is the difference between being side swiped and just missing. Sure driving a Prius doesn't help but there isn't a performance 7 seater out there (maybe except the Renault Espace F1)

[​IMG]

18. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We run 40/41 psi on the v's OEM 17" rims and Proxes 215/45-series tires and don't note any noise or ride quality issues. Love it, in fact.

The higher pressures also reduce the potential for low profile tire sidewall and rim damage.

#18 Air_Boss, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  19. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The mandated 13" rims and high aspect ratio spec Pirelli tires are anachronistic, with the sidewalls providing a significant portion of the "suspension travel" in today's F1 design.

Next weekend, at FOM request, Pirelli is set to test 18" rims and low profile tires on the Lotus.

20. John Robert

John Robert New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I went ahead and spent $2100 at the Toyota dealer to have them swap out my oem 17" alloy wheels on the new Prius v Model 5 with the 16" P215/50R17 tires. It's all rather subjective, but I would say the change makes the ride a little less harsh, and I don't see much difference in the performance of the car. I appreciate all the good input here. I'd like to sell the 17's with tires, if anyone is interested. Would deliver if within reasonable distance.... Thanks again, all! -- John