1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheap replacement catalytic converter report

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dummy, May 13, 2023.

1. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently had my CAT stolen and replaced it with the cheapest one on Amazon. I’m the past week it’s been throwing a code for CAT performing below specs. I don’t know if it’s a problem or not but I thought I’d let people know about it.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks. Idk if it’s a problem either. What about inspection? what state are you in?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Haven't seen any of them work but for about a day or two then the codes right back I've even heard this happened before after a dealer converter was put on also they changed the sensors too still nothing the same cat below threshold so I don't know what's going on I've seen people get rid of the whole car before because no one could get it through inspection even in some states where they have exhaust gas analyzers and the car was technically clean by year make and model It still fails because the light in the codes there doesn't make any difference whether the car is turned off and nothing's coming out the tailpipe That's irrelevant.

4. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thankfully I’m now in a state that doesn’t have emissions testing.

bisco likes this.
  5. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think I’ve read on here that some people will add a washer under the sensor. But I think that was for using a aftermarket sensor, not an aftermarket converter.

6. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Imho, in many ways, Amazon is a godsend.
    At the same time, in many ways, imho it's too easy to get scammed by lowlifes.

Imho, other than directly from a dealer, the least risk is buying from RockAuto.com .
    Unlike Amazon, RockAuto sells the parts (on amazon, most of the products are sold by a third party.
    RockAuto is very customer oriented.
    If RockAuto starts getting complaints about a part/manufacture, that item//manufacture quickly gets looked at. Repeated complaints/issues, results in that item//manufacture being dropped. And, unlike on Amazon, the manufacture can't just change their name, and sell their POS part again under a new listing.

Note, that does not mean that RockAuto is perfect.
    ***Counterfeit automotive parts is a Super Mega Massive business.
    Hence, why for my time and money, *I* generally only buy from a dealer. I've been screwed before. Smart people learn from their mistakes. Not so smart people keep repeating, repeating, repeating their mistakes.

However, for something like a cat converter for a car in a non-carb State, instead of the dealer, I'd buy from RockAuto, or Summit Racing (Summit Racing | Aftermarket Parts & Accessories, Performance Parts, OEM Auto Parts). And only those two companies.
    Imho for wheel bearings, that's 100% a dealer only item. Feel free to learn for yourself, and google Counterfeit wheel bearings. Just because some people get lucky and win money in the lottery, that does not make playing the lottery (or buying wheel bearings from other than the dealer) , a smart move. Then again, other people have loads of free time, they do not depend/need their car to take them to work every day. They don't worry that missing a day of work, means no pay for that day, or possibly getting fired from a PO'd manager, and so on.

Yes, long answer. :)
    But, imho, it's best to learn how things are, verses hoping to be "lucky" when you choose an action.

Good Luck!

7. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The experts on making catalytic converters are in Ontario, Canada. They make them for almost every OEM and aftermarket catalytic converter vendor in the United States and all over the world. Magnaflow, Walker and all the aftermarket converters are made in Canada to different quality specifications. The low end ones sold on eBay and shipped from Canada are your best bet. The cheapest Walker onse sold for $3-400 at chain auto parts stores are most likely the same converters with a sizeable markup.

Those made in China are likely hit and miss amd meet lower quality control scrutiny.

The OP's issue might be a bad or low quality oxygen sensor or a defective front oxygen sensor. For sure, I would buy an OEM quality sensor from a dealer with a discount when purchased on the internet.

8. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Used a Walker brand, 2 years later no issues.

Prius Rising and bisco like this.
  9. Prius Rising

Prius Rising Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought one of those 100 dollar aftermarket converters on E Bay about 4 years ago and haven't had any problems at all. It's very important to also install a new TOYOTA brand air fuel/oxygen sensors at the same time. (y)

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  10. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Walkers are made in the same plant in Ontario, Canada as the ones Made in Canada and sold on eBay. They just jack up the price by 400% when they put their label on them.

I just had a friend who went as cheap as possible and bought on eBay for his 2004 4Runner, when I advised him to buy Canadian made ones. They failed with a broken weld on one of the flanges.

He finally bought the Made in Canada set which worked perfectly.

He was smart enough to get Denso oxygen sensors though.

Prius Rising likes this.
  11. Ultimate_Combination

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Here's an update to a post I've made regarding this issue:
    Aftermarket Catalytic Converter Install | Page 4 | PriusChat