1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine Light and Triangle; Car is acting weird

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rebecca Leyva, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Rebecca Leyva

Rebecca Leyva New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi guys!

2007 Toyota Prius

I really need help.
    Background:
    I misplaced my key when I was moving last week so I could not find my key anywhere. I towed it to a Toyota dealership down my street because they told me they would give me a brand new key and program it for $260. However, the service center did not like that and told me that they would program it if I paid $415. But I was desperate and I just wanted to get it over with. So I did it and picked it up in 2 hours.

The next day when I continued to move, all my lights turned on on my dashboard. The VSC, Check engine light, the tire signal and the red triangle. I took it to 2 autozones to give me a diagnostic test. However, at both autozones nothing popped up in their system and they told me to take it to the dealer because they might have messed up on a code. While driving to the dealership, the VSC and the tire signal turned off. However the red triangle and the check engine light are still there. I took it to the dealer and the guy right away did a diagnostics test in front of me; nothing showed up. He told me to come in tomorrow morning.

I came in so they could turn off my lights on the dash, but on my way there, my car was not braking! I would press on the brake but it would not stop completely almost as if it were being pushed. The guy told me they would run a test but it would take up to an hour and 30 mins. I waited there for 15 minutes and another guy came and got me and told me that the problem was my battery, but he didn't even give me any details. He just told me it was failing and I needed to pay $3,100 or else my car was going to leave me out on the street. I made some call while I thought about it and came to the conclusion that I was being ripped off. My car has never acted up on me before and I find it kind of consequential that it began to do this after I took it to the dealer. If they were to program my key, would they have to go to the back of my car to do it? Because I found evidence that they were back there. My car is not coming to a complete stop anymore either. I even changed the oil again and measured my coolant levels. What does the red triangle actually mean?? My car is only 114000 miles and I just cant believe I am going to have to replace the battery for that much. I feel like I am being taken advantage of and no one really wants to help a college student out. :/

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe you have an abs brake actuator pump failure, that's covered under warranty.

A failing battery will not result in you losing brake function

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did they tow it on a flat bed? if so, how did they get it on?

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    JC91006 likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    JC is right. You have a bad brake actuator pump. There have been enough failures on those that Toyota extended the warranty to 150,000 miles. Good thing, too because it costs almost as much as the battery! It's also possible that the 12 volt battery is also on its last leg. That will give all kinds of weird lights and codes.

I have not heard of needing to access the rear of the car to program a key fob.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

That's the key question. The red triangle means any one of a hundred or so different things, some of them serious, some of them quite trivial. They are identified by different five-character "trouble codes". It is an exercise in futility (or attempted psychic performance) to try to say what it means without retrieving those codes from the car.

It sounds as if trust has broken down between you and this dealer, so you might not be confident they are giving you the exact set of codes being read from the car. Maybe if they let you watch as they connect Techstream to the car and read the codes, it would help. Or another dealer, if there is one near you.

Other businesses, like Autozone, unfortunately can be using code readers that are unable to read the relevant codes from a Prius, which is why they tell you nothing popped up. Many folks on PriusChat get their own equipment to read codes, and avoid having to depend on a dealer.

If your brake system is involved, you can get those codes by simply pushing a short length of wire into the right terminals of your diagnostic connector, and counting blinks on the dash. A bunch of threads in PriusChat forums give the details.

Since you could feel that the brakes had switched to fail-safe mode, there will be codes indicating why they did that. It is not yet possible to conclude you have a pump failure (an expensive part, also labor-intensive to replace). The brake computer can enter failsafe mode for various reasons. Better to get the codes first, then see whether they indicate the pump, or something else entirely.

-Chap

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Rebecca Leyva

Rebecca Leyva New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It wasn't on a flat bed; they hooked the two front tires.

Thanks everyone for your replies!!!

I went back to the dealer and talked to the supervisor at the service center, after bringing up the fact that I wasn't given any codes, he encouraged me to come back and invited me to go downstairs where they operate on the cars.

He gave me these two codes:

P0A80
    C2318

I did not see him actually hook the computer system up either. He erased the codes on my dashboard and we drove around for about 10 minutes and they did not reappear. In the car, the guy told me he wanted to tell me something at the shop, but did not want anyone else to hear. He said that I can replace a cell in the hybrid battery if I really wanted to.

Not sure what to make of this. Also, when I drove home, my brakes went back to normal. I do not know what they have moved. The 12V battery is fine. I went to check it at an Advanced Auto Parts and they told me that the voltage was okay. When I asked the guy at the dealership if they needed to be in the back of my car in order to program a key, he told me yes, but just to use the 12V battery. I asked him if the 12V battery can affect the hybrid battery and he kind of stopped and paused and told me no, but it seemed kind of suspicious to be honest. I thought the 12V battery gives voltage to the hybrid battery? Yet they are telling me that my hybrid battery is not getting enough voltage to run? What does the 12V battery do the hybrid battery?

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The P0A80 is a code that means replace HV battery, but usually there are other codes to support it.

The C2318 is a 12 V low voltage code, which can imply that the 12 V battery is not in good shape. This may be why they went round the back to look at the 12 V battery.

I have seen it often that mechanics and battery places "test" the battery and come back with the battery is fine, but in the Prius, it proves to other than fine. After replacing the 12 V and all the codes erased, the lights stay off.

However, a P0A80 seldom comes on in error in this circumstance. So what I am saying is the it is likely that your 12 V is not in great shape and it would do no harm to have it replaced, but I think you also may have a HV battery that is also on the verge of needing replaced. I would do the 12 V first and then wait and see if the P0A80 comes back.
    The 12 V battery provides power to "boot up" the many computers in the car and then closes the relay to connect the HV battery. After that, the HV battery (via the DC/DC converter) gives voltage to the 12 V battery when the car is in READY. At any other time, there is no connection between the two.
    Nothing, except maybe if was badly shorted cause the DC/DC converter (again when in READY) to hopelessly try and charge up a failing 12 V battery.

#8 dolj, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the 12v just boots up the computers and closes the relays, so the hybrid battery is connected to the system.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The dealership should have been able to print up a diagnostic report for each of those codes, similar to this one (for somebody else's C2318). As you can see, the system captures a "freeze frame" of relevant information at the instant it recorded the code.

C2318 is a code recorded by the "Transmission Control ECU" (a very grand name for the gizmo that powers the small motor to shift your transmission in and out of Park). In the example I linked above, you can see that other person's 12 volt battery output got drawn down to about 9¼ volts during the process of parking or unparking. In that person's case, several different voltage measurements were similarly low, suggesting it probably was a battery issue rather than a problem with one circuit or fuse.

Your own freeze frame would show what happened in your own case.

If they were recovering from the loss of the only key you had, they may have needed to resort to a procedure that requires the car to be left ON for half an hour or so without starting. That could have been enough to drain your 12 volt battery if they did not remember to connect a charger in advance. (Still, they could have connected the charger in front, without digging around in the back.)

-Chap

11. Rebecca Leyva

Rebecca Leyva New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They did not give me that paper before, but they gave it to me today. For the battery Voltage Value it reads 9.06. Does the 12V battery have to be at a certain voltage in order to determine if its no good? However, will this be affecting my hybrid battery? The battery on my screen in the car keeps going to very low to very high in short periods of time. Is this because my hybrid battery has a low voltage?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    9 is incredibly low if nothing is on. the only thing a bad 12v does, other than preventing the car from starting, is cause havoc with the computers, which can send false trouble codes and dash lights.

13. Rebecca Leyva

Rebecca Leyva New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And the only way to get the 9V up is by buying a new 12V battery?

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In your case most likely as it will have been low for too long.

But a healthy battery that has become drained can be (and should be as soon as possible) charged back up to full. The problem is that few people these days have a battery charger, as they are used to replacing them when they no longer work.

I suspect your battery will be a waste of time trying to charge as I suspect it will not hold the charge and will be back to under 10 V in no time.

A good (AGM) battery with a full charge will have a voltage in the range 12.8 - 13.2 V. A fully discharged battery will be 11.8 - 12.1 V.

15. Rebecca Leyva

Rebecca Leyva New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And we are talking about the 12V battery? Not the big hybrid battery underneath the back seat?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could charge it with a battery charger, but if it got that low, it's probably shot and won't hold a charge.

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is one of the signs of a HV battery in poor condition. It is consistent with the P0A80 code.
    Yes, in the previous post to which you replied the above, we were.

19. Rebecca Leyva

Rebecca Leyva New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I should buy a 12V battery AND an HV battery? can't I just replace the bad cells in the HV Battery?

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd change the 12 V battery first and then see what happens with the P0A80.

But if that is still a problem, you can change out the bad module, but it is not as easy as it sounds to do it successfully. Buy a Toyota New battery is the best option, and (IMHO) you should only look at other options if there are extenuating circumstances.

Incidentally, have you owned this car since new, or have you recently purchased it s/h?