1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Child Labor and our electric cars

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by John321, Jan 14, 2023.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Cobalt is mostly mined as a secondary process in copper or other mines. Largest supplier is DR Congo, followed by China and Russia.

Roughly 2/3 goes into batteries. One third into high-performance metal alloys such as used in jet engines. Other uses are much smaller including (interestingly) magnets. I expected larger there. Battery production is sure to increase, so new mines will be developed or current ones expanded.

There is no inherent reason why mining this metal needs to be associated with bad behavior. Yet is seems to be so. There is no inherent reason why a different company could not produce under whatever ethical standards one might propose. Its product is likely to have higher direct costs (here are externalities again). If you can pass that through to consumers, with cruelty-free batteries and jet engines, good for you.

Cobalt was co-mined with copper in Germany, back in old times, and miners died because heating ores released some toxic gas. Kobbold means evil spirits in German (so the story goes). Hence the unusual name. Those spirits are still with us it seems.

Painted in broad strokes, no mining industry is ‘clean’. Each could be made better including this one. It is a matter of what people are willing to put up with (on the down side) or pay for (on the up side).

It does not seem entirely fair to use use bad cobalt mining as a cudgel against rechargeable batteries. Especially if the FUD comes from people who fly on jets
    ==
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/361106029_US_Cobalt_A_Cycle_of_Diverse_and_Important_Uses

bwilson4web and Zythryn like this.
  2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Worth noting that cobalt use is almost a 50/50 split between “batteries for portable devices “ / (not EV stuff) and the batteries used in EVs .

Also worth noting that the “cheapest/dirtiest” Cobalt almost entirely goes to Chinese cellular companies which own much of the worldwide Cobalt supply
    and was such an issue that even China took some action against its worst Companies/ sub contractors who abuse Foreign workers.

The majority of the Cobalt that goes into domestic EVs is not using Child labor but the same cannot be said for a lot of the cheap portable devices you find littered throughout the U.S. and world markets

#22 Rmay635703, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  3. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New emergency bid to appeal, block huge Nevada lithium mine - ABC News (go.com)

Environmentalist, Native Americans and Conservationist aren't giving up and continue to fight

"They filed on Tuesday a formal notice of their intent to appeal to the San Francisco-based circuit court and an emergency motion for injunction in Reno pending the appeal. An Oregon tribe that filed a new, separate lawsuit to block the mine last week joined the notice of appeal.

“This mine should not be allowed to destroy public land unless and until the Ninth Circuit has determined whether it was legally approved,” said Talasi Brooks, a lawyer for the Western Watersheds Project."

Biden agenda, lithium mine, tribes, greens collide in Nevada - ABC News (go.com)

A rush to mine lithium in Nevada is pitting climate advocates and environmental groups against each other | CNN Politics

Biden Agenda Collides with Liberal Sacred Cows Over Nevada Lithium Mine | The New York Sun | The New York Sun (nysun.com)

"Indian tribal leaders say the mine site is on sacred land where their ancestors were killed by the United States Cavalry in 1865. Ecologists grouse that the mine will harm Lahontan cutthroat trout, the pronghorn antelope, and a species of tiny snails."

#23 John321, Feb 22, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A kobold was a thing you had to watch out for, in Rogue.

[​IMG]

Zythryn likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Making child abuse awareness is one thing ..... setting up an article to make EV's the primary source of said evil is another.
    How does one spell disingenuous.
    This "dirty ev" article is simply a disengenuous re-do of the bogus "Sudburry" nickel mine claims . . . that hybrids (& now ev's) battery needs were the cause of the mine's pollution. In fact the Sudburry mine (lots of copper - but nickel & other elements also) was cleaned up long before massive battery needs came into vogue. 100 years ago during the filthy operation, the nickel was used for OTHER things - like flatware.
    Anti plug-in proponents love love love the Sudbury story of it being the cause of "plugin-dirty-secrets" & repeat its bogus narrative to this day.
    ALL mining - many decades ago were prone to cause enviro damage . . . whereas now days, corporate responsibility recognizes its importance.
    Other areas of the world? not so much, necessarily.

#26 hill, May 8, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023
    Zythryn likes this.
  6. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure, I'll play.

Denying all the unattractive aspects of EV manufacturing and resource degradation is disingenuous.

Do EV's contribute to society - I hope so.
    Do EV's contribute to a clean environment - I hope so.
    Does EV's manufacturing and assembly have its own set of environmental issues - you betcha.

Clean energy is clean to a degree - but does the manufacturing of the electric distribution networks, parts, components, maintenance etc. consume vast amounts of unclean energy and natural resources - yes they do. Environmental disruption of natural places due to habitant degradation by windmills, solar farms etc can be devastating. Doesn't EV manufacturing require mining ,metal, plastic, wiring, tire manufacturing, electric componets etc. - bingo! Does comparing it to coal make all this go away - no.

Are EV's owners are on a higher plane of awareness and intelligence than others - hardly -Tesla driver shoots and kills another one over supercharger station | PriusChat

Tesla 'full self-driving' triggered an eight-car crash, a driver tells police | CNN Business

Should we should all work together to find solutions and common agreements -absolutely.

In the end we are all in this together - why not work together rather than pick sides - sign me up.

My opinion is that a lot of EV drivers got one because they do care about the environment and have a genuine interest in making the world a better place to live. I think the world could always use more of those type individuals - they contribute to society in a good way for all of us. But - owning an EV is not a criterion for wanting to be a good steward of the earth - growing a garden or planting a tree is just as positive as a contribution.

#27 John321, May 8, 2023
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does comparing it to coal show a nonzero difference?

Perhaps even a substantial nonzero difference?

If so, what purpose is served by losing sight of that?

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn’t agree more. Perhaps the OP would take that advice?
    Oh, wait…

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... and for shiny chrome plating on Hummers.

#30 fuzzy1, May 8, 2023
  10. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does you current post reflect these feelings?

I think below is a post that expresses a spirit of cooperation and an invitation to non petty discourse - but am probably showing my age with this type of thinking and more faith in human nature that is realistic for a internet forum - my mistake. I'll not post on thread again.

#31 John321, May 8, 2023
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those all sound like nice things to me.

But I'm not sure about the "just as". I mean, humanity has spent a long time developing ways of comparing things quantitatively.

I don't, for this post, have the answer about how those three contributions compare, quantitatively.

But I'm sure there is one, and it might not be that they are all equal.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Rmay635703 likes this.
  14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks, but work is incomplete. We could find out how much cobalt goes into batteries, magnets and jet engines per year. Then fairly place artisan (which to some extent has or at least had child workers) blame on end uses.

EV have both batteries and magnets, so they are double dipping. But most of fleet is very young so they have been dipping into a different pool than 2005 and earlier.

15. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lithium: High in demand, bad for the environment – DW – 05/30/2023

Lithium producers warn global supplies may not meet electric vehicle demand | Reuters

Mining lithium for EV batteries unsustainable according... | Visordown

Tribes and conservationists urge US appeals court to block Biden-backed Nevada lithium mine - ABC News (go.com)
    “Our people couldn’t return to Thacker Pass for fear of being killed in 1865, and now in 2023 we can’t return or we’ll be arrested," said Bethany Sam, a descendant of one of the massacre victims and spokesperson for the Reno-Sparks Indian Colony who was among those arrested.

“Meanwhile, bulldozers are digging our ancestors' graves up," she said last week

"Environmentalists and tribes are urging a U.S. appeals court to overturn a judge’s decision that allowed construction to begin on a huge lithium mine in Nevada"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#36 John321, Jun 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  16. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The number of approvals for new mines has fallen every year as long as I can remember.

Our state has stopped new mines via long fights and they are a not in my backyard scenario.

the one featured no different, would be curious to know the environmental impact report and the type of mine.

My biggest issue with the mine featured is that it was allowed to have a large Chinese investor. We should have the balls to own our own infrastructure land, mines, etc

Other first world nations block foreign land ownership of domestic property as is correct and proper

https://www.csis.org/analysis/united-states-needs-shift-perspective-mining

All this is maybe a good reason to flesh out brine mining and alternative battery chemistries like sodium.

if we want enough materials for all EV eventually we need to accept that cars might need to use underpowered motors to save precious materials
    We might have to perfect aluminum wiring and use alternatives for active compounds in batteries

#37 Rmay635703, Jun 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It might be better to have separate threads for cobalt and lithium, but here we are. Shifting targets.

Not disputing US' interest in domestic Li sourcing, but the largest 'play' is Bolivia and others on dry side of Andes. Invest there, see to environmental concerns, and grow towards market dominance. There's just not a lot of 'there' there in Nevada. All due respect etc. But to me it's just another cudgel to hold EVs back by whatever FUD possible.

"We should have the balls to own our own infrastructure land, mines, etc" Avoiding discussion of what balls are for :) the whole self-owned nation thing sounds ... OK to me. I guess There is another risk to spin off into foreign ownership of Smithfield's hams and similar, so let's not.

But seriously, for lithium, go to the big play as international largest investor. US does not, and guess who will?

18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    EV materials can come from Canada, Mexico, and a large number of S. American countries. As for USA sources, it is case-by-case.

Bob Wilson

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We might see Na-ion hybrid batteries in EVs by the end of the year. The first gen is mixed with L-ion in the pack to offset the drawbacks of each. So this only means a reduction in lithium and cobalt used.