1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chip in spoiler...what would you do?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Lindsi, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Lindsi

Lindsi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So after the car wash, wiping down my car (wiping down that lower rear window is a must) and I came across a chip in the black spoiler. It's called a spoiler right? Underneath the black it appears white so even though it's tiny, it's very noticeable. I fear it may have been caused by the car wash as I'm constantly checking out my car (a bit obsessive like) and hadn't noticed it before.

I already plan to do a few touch ups to my front bumper but it's white there and slight imperfections will blend in with the bugs that are always present. I fear trying to touch up this rear spot may make it more noticeable and its I spot I'll see all the time as it's right in front of my face when opening the hatch. Also it's not on a flat spot, is on the edge. Ugh.

So what would you do? I'm looking for ideas and tips. I've seen the spoiler covers on eBay but not enough pics to know if I'd hate it.

[​IMG]

mobile device...expect typos, close to no capitalization and slight grammatical errors :)

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We had a big debate a while ago whether the spoiler is high gloss black plastic or painted black, but 202 Black would touch that up and make it less noticeable than some white spot.

However, if you're anal-retentive, you can always order a new spoiler and install it or do a mod that's popular among modders which is getting it color-coded.

3. Lindsi

Lindsi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's my first brand new car so I've been very obsessed with it...I wonder how much a new spoiler would be. I'm interested in adding a lip that matches the white, just wondering if anyone has that and if they ordered it painted... how well did the paint match...

mobile device...expect typos, close to no capitalization and slight grammatical errors :)

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Rear Trunk Spoiler | PriusChat

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Touch it up with gloss black lacquer (get something with a brush on the cap applicator), then just don't look too close.

6. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed touch up! This is the first of many future little nicks and dings. The car is now yours. No one else has one like it.

7. Nora

Nora Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What would I do? Ignore it. Or try a Sharpie. If that didn't work, I'd ignore it. My car was a week old when a friend opened the hatch and smacked it into the garage door. My fault for not stopping her.

If I were you (not me), I'd probably use some touch up paint. I agree with Sabby, this is the first of many chips and dings. You have to let it go. A new spoiler is way overkill.

8. jaymac

jaymac membore

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you like your car never take it to an automated car wash! That's just lazy. Do it yourself and you will know what was done and how it was done.

Touching up that horizontal surface with some gloss black should be a piece of cake.

Getting the first knick on a new car is a heartbreaker. Everyone drives a used car !

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd have it painted to match the vehicle.
    It would make your Prius more unique, I think better looking, and hopefully more durable.

Plan B would be to do as already suggested and simply touch it up using the best black you can find to match.

I can understand being obsessive but on a chip that small? Replacing the whole spoiler would NOT be something I would do. I think I'd take it as an opportunity to have the spoiler painted to match the vehicle. Get them to give you some touch up paint when it is done, and then if you get chips in the future it should be easy to fix.

10. Lindsi

Lindsi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well it wasn't the first...there are a few in the front. I still park as far away as possible so the sides still look perfect.

We don't have much of a driveway to wash it at home and I have lifetime free carwashes that came with the car... I think the dealership is adding a touchless but it's not open yet.

11. Lindsi

Lindsi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hoping to see any pics of any mods done to the spoiler

12. Plus IV

Plus IV LowGen4

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I ordered my color matched spoiler from Nigel. Excellent match. Pricey though. But I love the look.

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The same spoiler that Jay J stuck on just to get that 2nd place?

Plus IV likes this.
  14. Plus IV

Plus IV LowGen4

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    LOL, no, I replaced the black rear deck spoiler with a color matched one.

15. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You wouldn't happen to have a photo of what a color matched spoiler looks like on a 3rd Gen?

I liked the color matched spoiler on Gen 2's...and I have given thought to having the black spoiler on my Gen 3 painted to match the vehicle.

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sure, just take a look at my car :D

All 3rd Gens have color-matched spoilers, as long as they're black :)

Plus IV likes this.
  17. 4npower

4npower Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Use Dr. colorchip, I used it on mine, car and spoiler and unless you get on it u can't see them. And it's a million times better then that crap Toyota sells that is glorified nail polish. No blobs no mess. Look it up and I will bet you will agree its the S#|$

18. Nora

Nora Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That Dr Colorchip looks pretty cool! Almost makes me wish I had a chip I could use it on. ;)

19. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd kind of like to see what a color matched spoiler looks like that isn't the factory installed black.

If this is such a common mod? Where are the photos?

I'm really thinking of having this done. So if anyone has done it, I'd like to see the pictures.

Nevermind...I used the magical "Search" box....

There does seem to be a disturbing lack of good pictures of the finished product, but from what I can see I think a painted to match spoiler looks better.

I think I'm going to do it. If I do? I'll post a lot pictures of the end result.

20. Plus IV

Plus IV LowGen4

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I know some people like the black spoiler because it is "hidden" when the rear windows are tinted. I like the painted version instead. Here is mine. Excuse the dirtiness! image.jpg